Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Welcome to your new board - Pensions & benefits advice

(54 Posts)
AnnieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 22-Oct-21 14:27:55

Hello everyone - thanks so much to all who suggested this new board for the discussion of everything related to benefits and pensions. We really hope you find it useful.

Please do use it! We periodically review all boards and those that are more tumbleweed than threads may be closed. Thanks again.

You can post in this thread to say hello etc - but if you have a pensions or benefits topic to discuss, then you can go to the main section here
www.gransnet.com/forums/pensions
and click on the 'Start a new discussion' button.

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Oct-21 14:39:54

Thank you

kandi37 Fri 22-Oct-21 15:01:48

?

YorkLady Fri 22-Oct-21 15:09:30

Oh! Great stuff. Think this will be really useful ?

toscalily Fri 22-Oct-21 15:49:11

I'm sure it will prove useful, thank you.

Blossoming Fri 22-Oct-21 15:52:58

Thank you Gransnet for listening to requests and responding.

Dogsmakemesmile Fri 22-Oct-21 15:56:52

This will be a real help to many. Thank you.

Grannynannywanny Fri 22-Oct-21 16:00:20

Thank you

crazyH Fri 22-Oct-21 16:07:21

Thankyou AnnieGransnet

bikergran Fri 22-Oct-21 16:15:18

Brill I will start off.

Remember if you have not reached Pension age yet, you can still apply for the Warm Front Grant (around £140)

You have to fit the entitlement Criteria. Good luck.

VioletSky Fri 22-Oct-21 16:17:35

Brilliant idea, so many struggle not knowing what they are entitled to. You can also find benefits calculators online like entitled.to

Sandytoes Fri 22-Oct-21 16:18:51

Great idea . Having recently retired I will be reading with interest .

Grannynannywanny Fri 22-Oct-21 16:49:58

I applied online last week for the warm home discount. I’ve attached the link I used which was for British Gas. But most of the main providers participate. It was easy to apply. There are several possible criteria to qualify. Eg attendance allowance, Carer Allowance or low income which I think was under £13,400 p.a. I’m not in receipt of any qualifying benefits but was entitled under the low income category.

I applied online, it only took a few mins. Have your NI number to hand. If successful £140 is credited to your fuel account in January. You can choose gas or electricity account.

www.britishgas.co.uk/energy/energy-saving/warm-home-discount.html

Robin38 Fri 22-Oct-21 16:54:20

Amazing thank you GN.

MerylStreep Fri 22-Oct-21 17:04:58

Some years ago I helped a friend sort out her finances. She is on Pension Credit.
She owns her own flat but has to pay Service Charges to the managing agents. I discovered that these charges could be paid as a benefit.

Aldom Fri 22-Oct-21 17:37:00

Such a useful resource. Thank you Gransnet.

Cabbie21 Fri 22-Oct-21 18:02:35

Great news , but i suggest putting actual advice or questions into a separate thread, as they will get lost in this one.

ixion Fri 22-Oct-21 19:12:08

Thank you - it will be an invaluable source of information for us.

Millie22 Fri 22-Oct-21 19:20:48

Excellent news thank you HQ. Only yesterday I was trying to sort out eligibility for pension credit. I thought it might be for us but apparently not any more if only one of a couple is of pension age.

SusieB50 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:39:24

Just in case anyone is not aware , as you now have to have more NI years of payments and you have left work to care for a relative , you can apply to have your NI paid even if you are not claiming Carer Allowance. Age UK will be able to help . My brother applied as he left work at 60 to help my 90 year old mum. He didn’t want to claim carer allowance but didn’t have enough NI to get a full state pension when he was 66 .

MacCavity2 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:52:50

Thank you GN

Bea65 Sat 23-Oct-21 11:28:41

Great AnnieGransnet much appreciated.
Grannynannywanny Thought i should let you and others know, I've received the Warm Discount for few years but the credit of 140.00 doesn't appear in your account in January, more like end of March.

Franbern Sat 23-Oct-21 12:04:42

MerylStreep

Some years ago I helped a friend sort out her finances. She is on Pension Credit.
She owns her own flat but has to pay Service Charges to the managing agents. I discovered that these charges could be paid as a benefit.

Merylstreep Are you sure about this. I have always understood that the Maintenance Charge in flats are NOT eligible for any benefit assistance.

MerylStreep Sat 23-Oct-21 12:15:50

Franbern
I’m absolutely sure. Of course insurance wasn’t paid but service charges were. But thinking about the time this was paid ( 15? years ago) it’s more than likely that with cuts this might have stopped.

PippaZ Sat 23-Oct-21 13:07:26

Thanks to GNHQ for giving us this board. I've always thought GN is at its best when members are helping one another. Benefits are complicated so this may well be one of those areas.

I agree with Cabbie21, that putting topics under (clearly titled) separate threads will help others find them.

So, hoping it's okay with MerylStreep and Franbern, I will start a new thread about maintenance charges smile