Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Attendance Allowances

(83 Posts)
PippaZ Fri 29-Oct-21 12:48:55

Attendance Allowance is extra money you can claim if you’re over State Pension age and need regular help with your personal care. It is non-means tested, so you can claim it whatever your income or savings.

Attendance Allowance is paid weekly at one of two rates – lower or higher – depending on how much help you need.

I found applying for the higher level quite difficult to apply for when my mother needed it. I wasn't sure what they actually wanted to knew. In the end I got help from what is now Age UK.

I think people's personal experiences would help anyone who currently needs to apply.

jaylucy Wed 03-Nov-21 12:21:21

I would certainly also advise getting help from Age UK to complete the paperwork.
If you fill in the form yourself, you tend to "downsize" the problem whereas someone with experience will put the information that is needed with the correct wording so you at least stand a better chance!
Age UK were brilliant when my father was alive and actually came to the house (not sure they are currently doing it, you would need to check with your local office) .
One thing you do need to be aware of is that once the claim has gone through, they do like to be informed of the result and it is nice if you could send them a donation to help with their costs.

JdotJ Wed 03-Nov-21 12:24:03

kittylester

And, you should always cite the worst case scenario, not the best. That's why getting help is a good idea.

Most definitely Kitty. I applied (with help from.Age UK) for my mum who had at that time been newly diagnosed with Dementia. As a progressive disease I had to fill out the form as a 'worst case scenario' which it eventually became. It is also worth knowing that if a person receives the Higher Rate Attendance Allowance (not standard rate) then they are eligible for a Blue Badge, no questions asked.

ALANaV Wed 03-Nov-21 12:41:56

I successfully applied for AA when my (now late) husband got much worse with Parkinsons, vascular dementia and cancer ...It was such a help, even though I seem to recall there were about 50 pages to fill in ......it was worth it as it helped to get a place in respite care for a few days, and to buy waterproof sheets etc for the hospital bed he was loaned. DO apply ....take a long time to fill in the forms, but it is an entitlement you need

Barmeyoldbat Wed 03-Nov-21 12:42:06

Franbern, I am sure you could have got a few of your aids through Social Services who would have sent someone to assess your. needs. As you are on Pension Credit you would not have had to pay for them. As I understand it attendance allowance is paid to you so you can have the extra care you need in washing, cooking a meal etc.

Pearlsaminger Wed 03-Nov-21 12:49:44

My elderly neighbour gets AA at lower rate. However in the last few years, she has lost her mobility, through arthritis and spinal degeneration, and simply cannot walk more than a few steps without pain and having to stop and sit down. She screams out in pain - even while sitting with her legs up, and is awaiting a knee replacement. She has various other ailments… diabetes, thyroid, high blood pressure, cellulitis, bullus Penphagoid, low immune system, high blood pressure, pressure sores… it goes on.
She has a nurse three times a week to change dressings.

Also we found out last week she has lost the sight in her eye and she didn’t realise. There’s nothing great can be done. She’s 82.

I’ve suggested she should let the DWP know she has got much worse but she won’t. Says she’s been told she may lose her AA if she has to reapply. I was thinking if she got the higher rate she could afford to hire in extra help.

She’s on her own, no-one else in the world and only has a carer for 30 mins twice a day to empty her commode and make her a sandwich. She gets a quick wash a couple of times a week. Hadn’t had a shower in years.
She’s incontinent and has to take water tablets and I’ll be honest the smell is horrendous at times. She has IBS and won’t wear pants as they take too long to get down, so sits on pads in her chair. So you can guess what happens when she doesn’t get to the commode on time. And guess who has to clean that up too when it’s down her legs, up her back and all over the carpet? ?

She needs the extra help, but won’t admit it.

I’m disabled myself and it’s absolutely killing me trying to care for her outside of carer times. I do her shopping, washing, cook meals, do her admin, gardening, take her to hospital appts etc. She had two appts last week and getting her in and out of the car, and pushing her in a wheelchair is causing more damage to me and my own damaged spine, and is impacting on my life. I spent three days in bed after, in absolute agony. It’s so draining on me and my life seems to revolve around her, which upsets my own daughter when I’m ill myself.

But… she doesn’t have anyone else in the world, and I can’t just leave her to it.

Apologies - this probably isn’t the place to spill this, but I’m truly stuck here and am at my wits end with her. She doesn’t have any friends nearby to help, and the young male neighbour who is her ‘next of kin’ (no idea why) truly couldn’t give a monkeys about her. He lives 20 steps away and she’s seen him and his wife twice since last Christmas. Surprisingly, they’ve had Covid four times since last December.. erm.. yeah. If Covid is the new excuse to not speak to her or visit they’ve got it spot on.

Please, any suggestions? No idea who to speak to next. ?

Macgran43 Wed 03-Nov-21 13:04:43

A friend who volunteered at CAB told me to apply for Attendance Allowance for my husband. He got the lower amount and then the higher amount later. We used this to pay a gardener and odd job men .Previously my husband had done all these jobs himself. Latterly he could not be left alone and I paid a carer to let me have some time to myself. I also found out via Martin Lewis that We were entitled to a 25% reduction in Council Tax as my husband had dementia. Our GP had to sign a form stating this. A few hidden benefits out there!

JdotJ Wed 03-Nov-21 13:14:30

Macgran43

A friend who volunteered at CAB told me to apply for Attendance Allowance for my husband. He got the lower amount and then the higher amount later. We used this to pay a gardener and odd job men .Previously my husband had done all these jobs himself. Latterly he could not be left alone and I paid a carer to let me have some time to myself. I also found out via Martin Lewis that We were entitled to a 25% reduction in Council Tax as my husband had dementia. Our GP had to sign a form stating this. A few hidden benefits out there!

Macgran, as you say there is a 25% reduction in council tax if one of the persons in the home has dementia but worth knowing that If a sole occupant of a property has dementia then they don't pay Council Tax at all.

FarNorth Wed 03-Nov-21 13:16:37

Pearlsaminger that's terrible for you, as well as your neighbour.
AgeUK has been mentioned in here as being very good with advice.
Perhaps you could contact them, or Citizens Advice, about your own situation and how to get more help for your neighbour so that you don't have to do all that.

PippaZ Wed 03-Nov-21 13:38:18

Pearlsaminger.

Firstly you are doing a brilliant job and your neighour is a very lucky lady to have you. There will be a pathway for this situation - the problem is finding it but there are lots of GNetters who will help with whatever experience they have.

It's suprising that the nurse hasn't flagged the issues up but while you are helping the "system" will let you.

You really cannot be expected to continue doing this. I think you will have to be prepared to say you cannot cope and will not continue doing this. That will be difficult but may get her a much more structured form of care. Once that is in place you do not need to abandon her as a friend but you do have to stick to what you are saying about the care.

I think that in your place I would ask for a Needs Assessment for yourself. You would need phone your local Council and speak, probably to a social worker, about the problem. It sounds as if you may have some issues they could help with. This would, hopefully flag up the neighbours needs and hopefully trigger some help for her.

I don't know if this is the right way to do it but I think it is the way I would. Others will be along to offer their experience, I'm sure.

This tells you about getting a needs assessment and what happens.

I have started a new thread for Social Care Needs Assessments here

BluePizzaWalking Wed 03-Nov-21 14:37:27

Make sure you put any informal help you are currently getting down on the form. You don't have to be paying for this help. So for example if your partner wakes up and helps you to put on a light and get up in the night and you would struggle to manage without this help put it on the form. Or if a relation, friend or neighbour does shopping for you or brings you cooked meals etc put it all down. As I understand its a benefit to help keep you independent in your own home and if granted you chose what help or aids you decide to purchase to help you.

GrauntyHelen Wed 03-Nov-21 14:44:57

I would encourage anyone who could do with help to apply DO NOT DILL IN THE FORM WITHOUT HELP Ihave filled it in many times through work so knew all the right buzz words and could spot the traps when I did it for my husband who has Parkinson's Recently I did it for my neighbour who categorically would not have got it although entitled to it if I'd let him send it in himself he got higher award and increased pension credit and now pays no rent and little council tax - he was astonished

Sadgrandma Wed 03-Nov-21 14:45:38

I would urge anyone who has a disability, either physical or mental, to apply for attendance allowance as it would give you that extra bit of money to make life easier, as others have said it doesn't have to be used for care. I helped both my Brother -in Law and his wife to apply and they both get the higher rate which they use to pay a cleaner, gardener and other bits of help around the house. As well as Age Concern you can also ask Citizens Advice for help in completing the form as they have experience of the areas that need to be stressed. It took me a long time to persuade my BIL to apply as he was sure the wouldn't be eligible (remember it's not means tested) and so many other people think the same. Having this little bit of extra money has made a huge difference to their quality of life.

Franbern Wed 03-Nov-21 15:01:50

Barmeyoldbat Yours is a common mistaken idea regarding Attendance Allowance. Indeed, it was what I thought when my daughter told me to apply for it.

Got the form to keep her quiet, completed it totally by myself - told the truth AND said how any extra moneis I got would be likely to be used. I was granted it and have been most thankful for it.

Whereas I do have to ensure that I have an immediate link for assistance should I have a fall at home (do this via Alexa with my local duaghter and her husband), there is nothing which states it has to be used to for a person to come to me to carry out any care.

Indeed, I would detest that - particularly any type of personal care - have always told my kids when that time comes it will also be the time for my bow out!!

Attendance Allowance and wonderful modern technology gives me the opportunity to live a virtually independent life, and I am well within the rules as to the way I use it.

I have been told that it is probably easier to get this allowance if applying on physical as opposed to mental problems.

PippaZ Wed 03-Nov-21 15:22:56

As I understand its a benefit to help keep you independent in your own home and if granted you chose what help or aids you decide to purchase to help you.

BluePizzaWalking I think that is an excellent description. There will be a lot of "smart" help rather than personal help as time goes by, I think.

Susieq62 Wed 03-Nov-21 15:29:03

Both of my parents were diagnosed with terminal cancer so received AA with little trouble. It enabled them both to have a cleaner and a gardener when necessary which allowed them to remain in their own homes until they required hospice care. They were divorced so had their own property and AA is not means tested so it was a great support . Please apply for it if needed and ask Citizens’ Advice or Age UK to help with the application.

HillyGirl Wed 03-Nov-21 16:19:47

I think the postings on this topics highlight the reasons why many people don't apply.
Several misconceptions, passed on as "fact", are quoted, and in my opinion the difficulties in claiming are overstated. I completed my own claim without assistance, and have encouraged several others to do the same. I receive the higher rate, live alone and have no carers. Although I find my personal care difficult I have worked out strategies for coping . The benefit is not means tested, or taxable, and there is no stipulation as to how it should be spent, if at all.

MadeInYorkshire Wed 03-Nov-21 16:25:13

Peasblossom

The District nurse helped me to fill it in for my husband.

Some weeks after Macmillan had told me categorically that he wasn’t eligible and there was no point in applying?

Absolute rubbish, Macmillan also told a friend of mine with terminal cancer that she wasn’t edible for the younger version of AA, PIP and she was, and got high rate too! They don’t know what they are talking about!

Amalegra Wed 03-Nov-21 16:39:22

It did indeed used to be difficult to apply for AA or PIP (for those under pension age) on the grounds of mental health as one person here has suggested. However, I would point out that the DWP have recently issued new guidelines in the wake of increased awareness of mental health problems which state that they should be given much more credence. Poor mental health can of course give rise to poor physical health and many people suffer in both ways. I do not think that people should be put off claiming on these grounds any longer. The pandemic has exacerbated the situation of course and the DWP are being forced to look again at claims refused solely on mental health grounds. I would add that if one is refused benefit completely one can always appeal and 75% of these appeals are successful (DWP’s own figures) although I understand that the process is lengthy and stressful. The whole of disability benefits is under review at present and I hope it will result in a fairer system. I take an keen interest in this as a former benefits officer (retired now) who likes to keep an eye on the area I worked in for so long!

MadeInYorkshire Wed 03-Nov-21 16:59:18

welbeck

travelsafar, being disabled, or less able, means many extra costs.
the attendance allowance does not have to be spent on personal care. it does not have to be spent on anything at all.
it's up to the recipient. if someone meets the criteria, then they need it, and they get it, and use it as they choose.
your neighbour/s should certainly apply, and with help filling in forms, ought to get it.

I am disabled and receive the same version as AA but for younger people and it is for the purposes of paying for the extra cost of being disabled, extra heating, water, different foods etc. depending on your needs. HOWEVER - did you know that if you do actually need some physical help such as help with washing or dressing for example like I do, the Local Authority actually take that extra as income and expect you to pay for your wash, leaving you with a basic minimal income to pay your increased bills including those things that incur extra costs, cleaning, gardening etc …. Because of this people aren’t putting their heating on, are living in a dirty mess etc because they then can’t afford the extra costs!

In January this year I was expected to pay the LA almost £200 a WEEK for my wash visit of 30 minutes a day and a few hours of help in the house. It didn’t matter that I had sent in several income and expenditure forms as they will only take into consideration your housing costs, not your gas/electricity bills or phone, internet, insurance, fuel, water, FOOD, clothes, bedding holidays, family gifts, hobbies, a social life … seems we aren’t allowed any of those! If I totted up everything I would have been £500 a month short! I am short anyway so am having to sell the roof over my head as it is and they’re already on my back wanting to know if I will have more income to contribute when the sale goes through!

How would you like someone going through how much you spend and on what? It’s a dreadful scandal that most people don’t know about and it can happen in a wink of an eye - an accident, or bad diagnosis and this could happen to you!!!

welbeck Wed 03-Nov-21 17:29:42

Pearlsaminger, you should not be doing any of the personal care or physical tasks, pushing wheelchair, transport to hosp etc for your neighbour.
you will ruin your own health and upset your daughter.
please stop doing this.
i can see why you got involved, but it has gone too far now, and may actually be hazardous for both you and the neighbour.
ring social services and explain the situation.
tell them she urgently needs a care needs assessment.
you could also try advice agencies, eg Age Uk.
but please do not continue as you have been doing.

Tinydancer Wed 03-Nov-21 18:18:19

Pearl I think Social Services may be able to help. If you are laid up then she wont have any help. You sound a really good friend to this poor lady.

Annefozzie Wed 03-Nov-21 20:06:07

I worked for the DWP. Tell her to apply and list her needs of everyday living. How her husband has to help. That she has impaired vision as well. That she maybe can’t manage for example lifting the kettle.
If rejected tell her to ask for a reconsideration
She can use the money for whatever she wants.
Not enough people over 65 with needs apply for a benefit they are entitled to.
I hope she is successful

Daftbag1 Wed 03-Nov-21 21:53:56

I can help a little here as I used to help people claim Attendance Allowance.

Attendance Allowance or AA as it is known as is a non means tested benefit that is paid to help with the additional costs that relate to older people with long term disabilities. The name is a bit of a red herring as you do not need to have someone attending to you.

Daftbag1 Wed 03-Nov-21 22:12:32

Oops pressed the wrong button there!

AA is paid at one of two rates, the lower rate is for people who need help EITHER during the daytime OR nighttime, the higher rate is for people who struggle both at daytime and nighttime.

The types of thing that are considered are your need for extra help with managing your personal care, dressing, and undressing, cooking meals, communicating with people, accessing cultural and religious activities, organising your money, medication etc. And enabling you to access activities that you enjoy.

The forms are long and very detailed. Many people don't receive an award because either they are uncomfortable' writing this information down or because they assume that because they have pointed out one problem it will be obvious that yo struggle with another often it's repetitive.

To give an example of this. When completing the similar forms for my daughter I assumed that given earlier I had said she couldn't stand or walk it would be obvious she couldn't walk up the stairs. Nope, I needed to specify this.

One tool that you might find helpful is to write a record of everything that has become difficult like a diary over a few days. You may be very surprised!!!!

Getting someone to help you complete the forms is often helpful, but it's fine to add things later. If you are unable to find help, if you contact DWP They may be able to help.

Finally tonight, if at first you don't succeed try again!

Shandy57 Wed 03-Nov-21 22:20:13

I wonder if my neighbour has applied for this? She has just started having carers in at £22 per hour. I visited her last week and apparently one of the carers has told her she has 'brittle bones' and my friend is nervous to ask her to do too much - although I don't know if this is true, perhaps my friend is confused. Her daughter was a District Nurse, I'll ask her.