Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Attendance Allowances

(82 Posts)
PippaZ Fri 29-Oct-21 12:48:55

Attendance Allowance is extra money you can claim if you’re over State Pension age and need regular help with your personal care. It is non-means tested, so you can claim it whatever your income or savings.

Attendance Allowance is paid weekly at one of two rates – lower or higher – depending on how much help you need.

I found applying for the higher level quite difficult to apply for when my mother needed it. I wasn't sure what they actually wanted to knew. In the end I got help from what is now Age UK.

I think people's personal experiences would help anyone who currently needs to apply.

Peasblossom Fri 29-Oct-21 13:12:58

The District nurse helped me to fill it in for my husband.

Some weeks after Macmillan had told me categorically that he wasn’t eligible and there was no point in applying?

kittylester Fri 29-Oct-21 13:55:48

Just to say that absolutely everyone who might be eligible should get AgeUk to help. They know the buzz words.

welbeck Fri 29-Oct-21 14:00:45

you usually have to apply and get the lower rate and then up it to the higher rate.
the difference is whether help is needed at night as well as during the day.
and it's always best to get help filling in any claim forms; they are full of concealed elephant traps.

YorkLady Fri 29-Oct-21 14:15:05

I found it a long task, but getting all the information onto the form is critical.
Make sure you have copies of hospital stays, surgery and clinics etc as this will strengthen your case. Give contact details consultants, if applicable, to enable them to check your claim.
I applied for my OH and managed quite well, it did help to have telephone chats with out McMillan nurse, who was fantastic, to give me the confidence to go ahead.

Jaxjacky Fri 29-Oct-21 14:29:24

Although, at the moment, many matters do not apply here, I’d like to say thank you PippaZ for all the helpful advice you’re posting.

PippaZ Sat 30-Oct-21 11:05:52

Thank you Jaxjacky. I think there are a few of us who just don't want others to find it quite the maze we did smile

Re the difference is whether help is needed at night as well as during the day. which is accurate for the higher level AA. It is worth knowing that you don't actually have to be getting help at night - just needing it.

kittylester Sat 30-Oct-21 11:56:52

And, you should always cite the worst case scenario, not the best. That's why getting help is a good idea.

Franbern Mon 01-Nov-21 18:42:56

My eldest daughter persuaded me toapply for Attendance Allowance a few years back. Completed the form totally by myself without much hope that it would be granted. My daughter did tell me to answer the questions giving the really bad days, not e better ones -which I did.
Much to my astonishment I was granted the Highter Rate, this has made such an enoumous difference to my life. Gave me the money to purchase Mobility Scooter to get around, and several mobility aids in my home. Means I can use the occasional taxi to go to places.
To my extra surprise as I was on Pension Credit,Guaranteed, the Higher Rate Attendance Allowance also gave me extra on that.
So pleasee I did make this claim,.

PippaZ Tue 02-Nov-21 08:11:19

Another point that may not be known is that both people in a couple can have AA.

silverlining48 Tue 02-Nov-21 08:19:09

My experience is a few years old but if refused it’s always worth appealing because they are often agreed.

Kali2 Tue 02-Nov-21 08:24:40

I've never understood attendance allowance, in the sense that it does not have to be used for 'attendance'. It is really great for those who need it- but if someone does not need 'attendance', why do they get it?

Franbern Tue 02-Nov-21 08:34:29

kali2 - in response to your question. I receive Attendance Allowance - but do not have attendance. However, this money has meant that I have been able to purchase many items which gives me the opportunities of being able to live my life without actually having people into help me.

My wonderful mobility scooter means I can get around my town and participate in many groups. Without it, I would be confined to my home nearly all of the time. No person attending would be able to assist me the way this little scooter does.

Lots of otheraids around my home also means that I doi not need a 'person' around. Electric bed, riser/recliner chair all give me independence and freedon to live pretty normal life. Without them, would need carers to assist in so many things.

When I was living in my house I did use some of this money to have a gardener. But, for me, this extra money has meant I can have all sorts of aids and can continue to lead an independent life. Without it, the topped up with Pension Credit, money I recieve would mean I could not afford these items. I would be costing 'the system' a great deal more with carer requirements, and would not be able to lead the active life I am leading.

travelsafar Tue 02-Nov-21 08:47:15

Franbern so glad that receiving this enables you to lead a more independant life and gives you the chance to purchase the things needed to do so. However i thought it was for paying for personnel care not to buy aids or do they come under the guise of personnel care do you know. I would be interested to know as i am constantly saying to my dear neighbour to put in for this allowance as without her DH she would be lost. She has really bad knees and doesnt go out anywhere alone, her eye sight is dreadful too she has to have injections in both of them. She has a slight heart condition as well. She had to give up driving and cant even walk to the end of her garden alone due to the pain in her knees and her bad sight. She can complete her personel care but if anything happened to her husband she would need help in the home and garden and also shopping and collecting of medication too. How would she get to the GP and hospital . Do you think she would get this AA? thank you.

PippaZ Tue 02-Nov-21 09:46:20

Kali2

I've never understood attendance allowance, in the sense that it does not have to be used for 'attendance'. It is really great for those who need it- but if someone does not need 'attendance', why do they get it?

I don't know the actual answer to this and I think it is this point that makes the form difficult to fill in. So to a bit of research (google smile)

The first answer I have found is not much help. It seems to be a standard reply:
You can get the benefit even if you live alone with no help. As long as any help or supervision is reasonably required you could still qualify for Attendance Allowance.

This is a bit more detailed:
You don't need to have had a formal diagnosis to claim Attendance Allowance. For example, you might still be having tests or appointments to find out what's wrong with you. As long as you've needed help or supervision, or you've had difficulties for 6 months because of your condition you can claim Attendance Allowance.

This was from an Age UK article. I think sums it up better.
You don’t have to spend Attendance Allowance on a carer. Many older people spend it on other types of help in the home, or equipment to help them stay independent.

My mother had many points of help - including an alarm she could press. This was later changed to a fall alarm. She had to pay for the service so that is where some of the Attendance Allowance went.

I have to say it's still a bit mystifying but I hope this helps.

www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/attendance-allowance/six-myths-about-claiming-attendance-allowance/

kittylester Tue 02-Nov-21 11:32:14

In my understanding, AA is available for someone to make their life easier not just for Attendance.

25Avalon Tue 02-Nov-21 11:37:32

A lot of people don’t apply for attendance allowance, as they may not know it exists, or think it doesn’t apply to them, or it’s too difficult, so we’ll done PippaZ for posting this helpful thread.

Elless Tue 02-Nov-21 12:12:23

I think I'm right in saying you can't get AA if you get PIP though.

Witzend Tue 02-Nov-21 12:19:34

I’ve heard Age Uk recommended many times for help with filling in the form. Equally so, that you must state how things are on the worst day/night, and not gloss over anything.

FarNorth Tue 02-Nov-21 12:21:43

Clearly it's mis-named as 'Attendance' gives the impression that there must be help from another person.
Franbern you've made it very clear why the things you spend your assistance on are much more helpful to you than having someone to help.
I think it's wonderful that this is possible for you and just wish that the name and the application process weren't so off-putting to people who need assistance.

Teacheranne Tue 02-Nov-21 13:33:33

I have to say that the form to claim AA is horrendous and I think is designed to put people off! It took me several goes to complete it for my mum as I lost the will to carry on each time I picked it up, the a amount of repetition of information is ridiculous!

You can complete it on line, saving your work each time, but need to print it off as only postal applications are accepted. I have to say though that even during lockdown, the claim was processed quickly.

I found a lot of help online, there are examples of what to say and explanations of the various categories. I referred to these tips constantly, using all the current buzz words.

welbeck Tue 02-Nov-21 14:03:46

travelsafar, being disabled, or less able, means many extra costs.
the attendance allowance does not have to be spent on personal care. it does not have to be spent on anything at all.
it's up to the recipient. if someone meets the criteria, then they need it, and they get it, and use it as they choose.
your neighbour/s should certainly apply, and with help filling in forms, ought to get it.

Thoro Tue 02-Nov-21 15:19:57

Although you are encouraged to claim online the start of the claim is when you send the claim in - which can take some time.
If you ring for a claim form the start of the claim is from the day you ring - so always ring for your form!

PippaZ Tue 02-Nov-21 16:02:45

Elless

I think I'm right in saying you can't get AA if you get PIP though.

This is from Citizen's Advice Elless

You won't be able to get Attendance Allowance if you already get Personal Independent Payment (PIP) or if you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) to pay for your care (the 'care component' of DLA). ... If your renewal is unsuccessful you can apply for Attendance Allowance instead.

kittylester Tue 02-Nov-21 16:49:25

They will usual put the date of posting out the form on the top of it.