Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Changes to the Highway Code

(57 Posts)
ayse Sun 23-Jan-22 18:46:09

From the 29th of January the Highway Code changes giving additional priority to pedestrians and cyclist.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1037306/table-of-change-to-the-highway-code.pdf

foxie48 Mon 31-Jan-22 19:36:36

I should have also said, meeting another car!

foxie48 Mon 31-Jan-22 19:35:13

Drivers just need to start changing the way they drive and I speak as a car driver. We should all drive according to road conditions, weather conditions and where we are driving. I have a single track lane behind my house which runs parallel to another wider road. I never use it when driving but I do walk, cycle and ride a horse along it. It has several blind bends and I have lost count of how many head on crashes there have been in the 20 years since we moved here. Surely if drivers choose to use a lane like this they should realise that they might meet a cyclist, horse rider or pedestrian (probably walking a dog) ? No, they don't, they drive too fast and are completely unaware of who else might be using the lane. If you drive a car, it is your job to keep yourself up to date with Highway code changes, ignorance is no defence. Car drivers need to more aware of who else is using the highway and drive accordingly.

Larsonsmum Mon 31-Jan-22 18:57:10

The fact that so many people are claiming not to know anything about the new Highway Code rules is concerning.

I really think there will be the risk of drivers of vehicles behind bumping into the vehicle in front when that driver is allowing a pedestrian to cross at a junction.

Also, I see a potential issue if it is a junction with traffic lights. If a driver allows a pedestrian to cross, that motorist could then be left sitting in the junction when the lights have changed to red, if the pedestrian is perhaps less able to cross quickly.

PamelaJ1 Mon 31-Jan-22 18:54:56

Everybody should be courteous to and responsible for all other road users.
Motorists and cyclists and pedestrians should be aware of the rules of the road.
Pedestrians have the right to hope that they will be safe. There is no denying though that in a collision between human and vehicle the pedestrian will, generally, come off worst.
I will keep taking care and evoking Tufty and the Green Cross Code. It’s all very well but if one presumes that all drivers will suddenly take the changes on board one may well end up injured or worse.
I’m not pushing my luck.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 31-Jan-22 18:07:45

I couldn't agree more.

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Jan-22 18:06:05

EllanVannin

Great ! Another accident waiting to happen.
Like the " smart motorways ".

Yes, I agree.

Bring down the speed in towns and villages but pedestrians should not have priority over motorists on the road.

What is wrong with pedestrians using a zebra crossing, or learning Stop, Look, Listen and Keep Looking and Listening.

Bring back Tufty.

winterwhite Mon 31-Jan-22 17:56:20

The example of Holland is not a good one since so many roads are wide, straight and flat, where here they are often narrow, bendy and hilly.

Everyone needs to share space better in towns - 20 mph everywhere, no cycling two abreast or on pavements, and IMO no walking about with headphones in.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 31-Jan-22 17:30:24

I realise that some responsible cyclists are insured but I imagine there a lot who aren't. They can do a lot of damage - see Blondiescot's post above. Some act as though they own the road and are very aggressive.

karmalady Mon 31-Jan-22 17:25:40

walkers too, I felt safe today, crossed a side road twice and each time a turning car stopped for me. It seems that many motorists have taken the rules on board

re insurance, any decent cyclist is fully insured, I am.

foxie48 Sun 30-Jan-22 21:46:22

I think the changes are very sensible, it's all about protecting more vulnerable road users. What's not to like? I wonder how many of those complaining have actually cycled or to mention another group of vulnerable road users, ridden a horse on the highway? Where I live we don't have cycle lanes or pavements, I drive down narrow lanes and the main roads, which are few and far between, are often accident black spots. these new regulations cover all parts of the country, not just the cities! I ride on the lanes local to my home, it is popular with cyclists and people just walking and tbh car drivers can be bloody dangerous to walkers, cyclists and horse riders. fwiw I will often ride two a breast, for my own safety, on narrow lanes I will take up as much space as a car otherwise cars will speed past me almost clipping my horse. I have had car drivers close behind me on a single track lane sounding their horn (horses can't levitate out of the way!) Satnav is a complete pain as it sends drivers onto to narrow country lanes when they have no idea how to drive safely. Please leave a 2m space when passing a horse and please slow down to 10mph, if you are involved in an accident and haven't followed this, you will be liable for damages following an accident.

Lincslass Sun 30-Jan-22 20:33:52

GrandmaKT

Lincslass

GrandmaKT

Lincslass did you see my comment re cycle lanes further up-thread? They aren't suitable for all types of cyclists. In addition to putting other cyclists and pedestrians at risk, speed cyclists will not use them as you often have to stop as the cycle lane crosses every side road. If you're a serious cyclist in training or commuting a long distance to work, they often aren't suitable.

Yes I did. Still allowed my comment though. I have seen wide cycling /pedestrian lanes empty, we have such one in my area, yet cyclists persist in using the narrow road, oh yes they might have to stop at a junction on the path, oh dear, cuts down their speed.

There'd soon be uproar if motorists had to stop at every side road!

Many motorists have to do so. Especially now

Blondiescot Sun 30-Jan-22 20:31:42

So what about the irresponsible cyclists who don't have insurance and ignore things like red lights? I was almost mown down by one in the centre of Edinburgh as I was crossing at a pedestrian crossing (while the green man was on) - he cycled right through the red light and missed me by a hair's breadth! What if he'd knocked me down? What claim would I have had against him? It should be mandatory for anyone cycling on the roads to have insurance, just as it is for other road users like drivers and motorcyclists.

GrandmaKT Sun 30-Jan-22 20:16:39

Germanshepherdsmum, you are making the mistake of thinking of 'cyclists' and 'motorists' as disparate entities. 83% of cyclists are also motorists in the uk (https://www.cyclinguk.org/statistics). They have therefore had the same training as motorists in the 'rules of the road' and will have passed the same driving test and pay the same insurance. In addition, I and many cyclists also pay cycling insurance.
As for the new rules benefitting everyone, they are to encourage safe and considerate shared use of the roads, not to encourage cyclists, or anyone else, in irresponsible behaviour as you seem to believe!

TerriBull Sun 30-Jan-22 19:24:36

I think how cyclists behaves depends on where you live. The nearby town nearby where I used to live, had a pedestrian thoroughfare running through it with clear no cycle signs, there are some cyclist who just ignore all that, not kids either. I actually said to one woman who came up behind me, not riding fast, although some cyclists do, "you aren't supposed to be riding your bike here" I said "I know what I'm doing" she replied and then rode right into us shock we weren't hurt, because she was slow, it was unintentional the bike was unwieldy and she was incompetent on it, she shouldn't have been riding it in a pedestrian only area, I did say "maybe you'd be better off riding that in the park" she went off muttering. I know most bike riders are considerate and those who are arguing the case for cyclists on this forum will be, but there is a divide.

Some behave like pigs though, think nothing of banging on the bonnet of cars when they catch up with them, covering people with spit. In London they can be unbelievably aggressive, if the pedestrian doesn't get out of their way quickly enough they go ape shout and swear, the people I know who work up in town often moan about them. Pedestrians have been killed by cyclists.

Lycra cyclists hog the roads that run through Richmond Park, 20 mile hour speed limit except for them they do what they like they're extremely intimidating. A friend told me about a woman she knows who made the mistake of overtaking one, he caught up with her when she had stopped in a car park, swore at her then chucked his bike at her windscreen, with her child cowering in the back. Fortunately, a horse rider saw the incident, it was reported, don't know what the outcome was.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 30-Jan-22 18:15:23

How can the new rules be to everyone's advantage GrandmaKT? I used to live in Cambridge where there were huge numbers of cyclists with little or no road sense. The students were bad enough but on one occasion I hit the wheel of a woman probably in her 60s wheeling her bike across a 60mph stretch of road. She had been standing at a refuge on the pavement intended for cyclists to wait safely until the road was clear and safe to cross. She thought it was the equivalent of a pedestrian crossing, saw me driving along at 60mph and calmly walked out in front of me. A miracle that I only hit her bike, not her. She tried to claim against my insurance but was given short shrift. Many uninsured cyclists have had no training whatsoever in the 'rules of the road' and yet they are now being given priority over those who pay high insurance premiums and excise tax.

karmalady Sun 30-Jan-22 17:41:49

GrandmaKT

As karmalady, I've been out cycling this morning. Lots of cyclists out (taking advantage of the calm between two storms!). I did notice that vehicle drivers were being more considerate and giving the cyclists more room when overtaking. In turn, we always go into single file when on busy roads. Hopefully when these new rules bed in they will be to everyone's advantage.

I also thought that most drivers were giving me more room today, some also a cheery wave. Not that many cycle in their 8th decade and yes I wear lycra, perfect for cycling

GrandmaKT Sun 30-Jan-22 14:07:58

As karmalady, I've been out cycling this morning. Lots of cyclists out (taking advantage of the calm between two storms!). I did notice that vehicle drivers were being more considerate and giving the cyclists more room when overtaking. In turn, we always go into single file when on busy roads. Hopefully when these new rules bed in they will be to everyone's advantage.

Teacheranne Sun 30-Jan-22 13:57:17

The new Highway Code says that cyclists should cycle in the middle of a lane when travelling at the same speed of the other traffic or to be visible when turning at a junction. It then goes on to say that cyclists should be aware of the cars behind and move back to the side or stop to allow them to overtake. It is not a mandate to ride for miles in the middle of the road!

karmalady Sun 30-Jan-22 13:08:03

driver and cyclist here, blooming wonderful changes, all depends where you live and cycle as to how courteous drivers and cyclists are to each other anyway. . It has always been good here apart from the occasional motorist skimming past me on a busy road and today I cycled a little further away from the verge on that road. Three cars still skimmed past but heyho, there will always be selfish gits who think the road belongs to them alone. Loads of cyclists out today, I didn`t see anyone behaving in a selfish manner. Nice that cyclists are, at last feeling empowered

Re road tax, it is actually emission tax and cycles do not have emissions

JenniferEccles Wed 26-Jan-22 14:11:16

I’m sure everyone is well aware that the whole point of this is to make life as dammed difficult as possible for motorists.
We’ve already had to put up with empty city centre cycle lanes which cause huge traffic holdups, and now it seems things are about to get worse.

I am horrified at this new legislation. It’s already been mentioned that cyclists are not obliged to use cycle lanes on split pavements but I also read that they are being encouraged to ride in the middle of the road, and also two abreast ?.

This is all going to add to traffic jams and driver frustration.

As I said this is all part of the plan to get us out of our cars.

Grandma2213 Wed 26-Jan-22 01:24:50

I carefully read the new rules and was quite surprised as I do all that anyway. My driving instructor 40+ years ago told me 'pedestrians always have right of way,' I assumed because we would rather not injure or kill anyone no matter how stupid they are. Yes I know - motorways may be an exception but I would still try not to mow them down. The other thing I was told was the importance of predictive driving. I am careful of cyclists and horses, slowing down or giving them a wide berth usually. I am always very aware of parents with prams or toddlers on pavements in case they run out (also in recent years, people on mobile phones). To be honest I don't open the door with my opposite hand, but I always look behind before I open it, even as a passenger. Mind you I don't live or drive much in a city. That seems to be a different world. When I learned to drive first we often had to wait patiently for flocks of sheep being moved, or cows crossing over for milking, not to mention tractors and hay balers.

JillyJosie2 I agree the roads are for us all to share.

GrandmaKT Tue 25-Jan-22 23:51:01

I'm sticking up for the cyclists Barmeyoldbat! I think you addressed your comment to the wrong person?

Barmeyoldbat Tue 25-Jan-22 21:07:47

Good post JillyJosie2, Holland is an example off how this country could be if people could just change their attitude, GrandmaKT, your post shows this about attitude and I am afraid you will just have to get use to more cyclists using the roads.

JillyJosie2 Tue 25-Jan-22 17:40:54

The people complaining seem to take the attitude that cars have some kind of priority over other human beings! A car is a dangerous weapon, it can go very fast and if it hits you at anything over 20mph, you will be seriously injured or die.

Why do people not see that being in charge of a large, powerful machine should carry responsibilities and that looking after other vulnerable humans not encased in a tank-like shell should be the priority?!

I think you need to cycle yourself before you make judgments about cycling in cycle lanes. Cyclists are now taught how to use the road in a way which keeps them safe and that is often where a motorist can see them. It isn't difficult to cycle at anything up to 20 or even 30mph. There is no reason whatsoever that a cyclist shouldn't take the main lane when the traffic is proceeding at the same speed and at junctions, it is often safer to be in the main part of the road as opposed to being expected to cycle on and off the bits of cycle path that are haphazardly provided by cash-strapped local authorities.

Motorists happily coexist with cyclists and pedestrians all over mainland Europe, notably in Holland where it is a delight to experience a car stopping smoothly and calmly when a pedestrian approaches a road/pedestrian/multi user crossing and then accelerating slowly away having given you enough time to cross.

The changes to the Highway Code are not about saving money on pedestrian and cycle paths, they are about reducing accidents and teaching motorists to SHARE the road, not hog it.

GrandmaKT Tue 25-Jan-22 17:13:29

Lincslass

GrandmaKT

Lincslass did you see my comment re cycle lanes further up-thread? They aren't suitable for all types of cyclists. In addition to putting other cyclists and pedestrians at risk, speed cyclists will not use them as you often have to stop as the cycle lane crosses every side road. If you're a serious cyclist in training or commuting a long distance to work, they often aren't suitable.

Yes I did. Still allowed my comment though. I have seen wide cycling /pedestrian lanes empty, we have such one in my area, yet cyclists persist in using the narrow road, oh yes they might have to stop at a junction on the path, oh dear, cuts down their speed.

There'd soon be uproar if motorists had to stop at every side road!