Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Diary of a benefit claimant.

(1001 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 20-Apr-22 14:13:32

Having had a change of circumstances, I am now in the enviable position of needing to claim universal credit.
A telephone appt was made for 1.30 today.
After a phone call at 10.10 this morning, I recieved a text to phone them back urgently.

So, I phoned them back, waited almost an hour to be put through, and spoke to a woman who seemed to think the 1.30 appt was my idea, rather than their arrangement.

The appointment was duly arranged for it's original time of 1.30 today.

So, here I am, plugged into my charger, a pile of paperwork around me, still waiting...

I wonder if I could sanction them, as they do for people who are 5 mins late for appointments?

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 11:40:09

Ah, no.
I have paper versions.
I didn't realise they needed electronic, online ones.

FarNorth Fri 01-Jul-22 11:47:15

Perhaps the council would accept photos of the paper documents, taken with your phone?

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 11:50:39

I was thinking that, too.

Throughout this (rightly or wrongly) I have been determined that these services should adapt according to the needs of individuals.

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 12:34:47

Well it is Viking Virtual Print House that prints things, anything from loose sheets to hardcoy books, all from uploaded electronic documents. They are highly automated, and that keeps costs down.

It is possible that there exist services whereby you could send hardcopy documents by Royal Mail Parcel Collect to some business somewhere, they would scan them into electronic form and send them back.

But they might not print them out! They might just want to send a disc. And as it would involve someone picking up the sheets and scanning one by one it might be very expensive per sheet, so not really a realistic possibility for a collection of such documents.

It seems to me that in a sensible world (I know, I know!) one part of government should be able to get such information direct from another part of government, notwithstanding that DWP is national government and the council is local government.

Looking on the web I now realise that where it says on

www.gov.uk/universal-credit

> Universal Credit is replacing the following benefits and tax credits:

Child Tax Credit
Housing Benefit
Income Support
income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
Working Tax Credit

that that is after what it says on

www.gov.uk/incapacity-benefit

> Incapacity Benefit is being replaced with Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

So Incapacity Benefit has gone, but it is not obviously gone from what it says directly about Universal Credit.

So it seems to me that why this has all gone pear-shaped, not just for you, is that a system designed specifically for people who have long-term illness has been bundled in and then "baked" with other systems to produce a system where some people have long-term illness and some people are fully healthy and able to work.

So it looks good on paper and in a presentation to managers et cetera but it doesn't actually work well in practice.

It seems as if there might be some long German word that encapsulates that meaning all in one word. grin

Does the letter from the council say anything about Universal Credit or imply it using a phrase like "your income"?

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 12:44:23

It asks specifically for wage slips for the last 5 weeks.
Then, I think, it requests proof of "any other income".

Of course, my income is due to change in around 2-3 weeks time, due to the pip award, but I have to send this proof of income within a month from now.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 12:48:13

Not that I'm complaining £ hasten to add.

We are lucky to get help when needed, and I have been treated well and with respect.

I do dislike the council, though!

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 12:59:21

It may be that the system is tuned to thinking of people having a contant rate of income over time.

Is this for help with rent or with council tax or both?

From when are they going to pay it? What I mean is that in the old days if one went to sign on as unemployed they would arrange an interview for some time ahead, yet pay the benefit backdated to the day when one actually first went and signed on.

So if the same sort of system is happening with the council you may get a higher rate of whatever it is now but it be reduced when you get PIP. However, it is possible, maybe, that PIP income is not counted for the council purpose, I don't know, but it is worth trying to find out.

Note to Gransnetters: Does anyone reading this know about this please?

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 13:04:18

It is for council tax benefit.
I know from before that it was a small amount, and I was so fed up with the council that I just withdrew the claim.

It's ok, I am expecting a long period of adjusting and readjusting things, its it's just that it is exhausting when one doesn't feel well..

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 13:06:11

I have just found the following.

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/extra-help-pip-entitles-you-to/

It might be that having a PIP award gets you more help not a reduction because of more income.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 13:14:01

I think pip is disregarded in terms of being counted as income: anyone disabled can claim it, certainly.

I am hoping to use it to gain back a measure of independence.
I've big plans to buy a new broom, for a start!

Whiff Fri 01-Jul-22 13:17:51

MissA thank you have made notes on all the things I can't do and ways I have to do things differently to other people. I to just got on with things
But never thought I was being lazy.
Just felt weird because of my jerks and seizures which I had no warning they where going to happen. . At my craft group they told me to be specific about how many days I can't do things. Don't say sometimes as that can mean any length of time.

Got lots of tips by reading all the posts on here since you started on your journey.

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 13:21:17

Are you planning to play Quidditch?

Or Muggle Quidditch?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quidditch_(real-life_sport)

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 13:23:19

Oh good, Whiff.
I'm really glad the tips have helped.

In my case, I think I have very subtly altered my means of doing things - so subtly I didn't even realise myself.

Another helpful tip to remember is can you do something reliably, repeatedly, and safely?
If not, the answer is "no".
.I'm sure cabby has said that, and I watched a youtube video of someone reiterating it for good measure.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 13:25:24

Job coach call is 25 mins late, now.

HousePlantQueen Fri 01-Jul-22 13:30:26

I have been away and just caught up with your post MissA, I am delighted to read that you have survived your ordeal by interview and that the future is looking better for you. Your detailed report of your trials and tribulations has been an education for some of us, thank you, and perhaps when some are about to post their opinions on benefit claimants, they will stop, think, and realise that people like you, and whiff are real people with real difficulties and only want to go about their lives like the rest of us, nothing more, nothing less. Hopefully now that some of the stresses of getting the help you need are settled, you can concentrate on what makes you feel better, what you enjoy. Now, go and sit in the garden with this brew and cupcake that I have just made for you.

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 13:32:40

It seems strange having 13:00 as call time.

13:00 is often lunchtime in businesses.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 13:32:57

Oh I could really eat a blooming great big cake!
I have to ask my neighvours if they will get me the basics - bread, and things.
A cake, though, I haven't had one for ages!

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 14:01:10

An hour late, now.

downtoearth Fri 01-Jul-22 14:49:15

I wore my Adele T shirt to bed and the phone rang
Hello

downtoearth Fri 01-Jul-22 14:50:11

Oops wrong thread sorry folks

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 14:50:47

2 hours late now.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 15:46:51

Good news again!!!!!
The decision has been made on my work capability assessment!
The coach wasn't allowed to tell me what the decision is, but he indicated that it is another positive result!!! smile

silverlining48 Fri 01-Jul-22 16:15:33

So pleased for you. It’s about time you had some good news. Celebrate ? x

Grannybags Fri 01-Jul-22 16:19:18

Hooray! So pleased you have had some good news

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 16:51:23

Thank you, both. smile
It will be a huge, huge help to be left alone by the system, and of course, to be believed!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion