Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Is this a stupid idea?!!!

(32 Posts)
Marydoll Fri 06-May-22 23:19:56

I have friends, who tried to persuade me to take my pension early, as they did. They are regretting it now.
Experiencing trauma like a partner having a heart attack, does change our perspective. I know, I had two heart attacks, hadn't a clue there was anything wrong with my heart.
It took some time to come to terms with it. My cardiac rehab included psychological counselling, which I initially refused, saying I was OK. However, I wasn't and benefitted greatly from it in the end. I would hope your husband was offered the same.

However, I wouldn't rush into, but would take time to think about the implications. It's only ten weeks since the heart attack and in my opinion, too soon to make a huge decision like this.
I did eventually go down the route of draw down, but used a financial advisor, as the process wasn't as easy as I had anticipated and HMRC made a mess of the tax.

I hope you can come to the right decision.

ShropshireMiss Fri 06-May-22 23:00:39

You could take it out in chunks, for each chunk 25% would be tax free and 75% taxable.

Honeysuckleberries Fri 06-May-22 22:53:10

I think you might still be in a state of shock over your husband’s heart attack and not really thinking straight yet. I hope that doesn’t sound patronising but I wouldn’t make any large financial decisions for a while yet. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing financially. Why don’t you take a little bit at a time because once it’s gone it’s gone. You might look back in a few years (you are still young) and think oh if only I had a few thousand to spend now.
Perhaps just taking out the tax free sum would give you fun times at the moment, after all who wants to pay more tax than they have to.
I wish your husband a continued good recovery and some peace of mind for you.

ShropshireMiss Fri 06-May-22 22:42:04

About it being a lot lower if you leave it there, who knows, in ten years time it might have doubled in value.

Redhead56 Fri 06-May-22 22:35:44

I agree make the most of life now while you can plan how you will manage your money. Hope your husband makes a full recovery.

timetogo2016 Fri 06-May-22 18:59:04

Me............. i would take Dh on a long cruise,that will give you both time to really think about the money you have.
And i would probably enjoy every day as if it was my last,i pretty much do that anyway tbh scentia.
I hope your Dh makes a full and fast recovery.

Scentia Fri 06-May-22 18:51:35

I am at an age (55) where I can draw down my private pension if I want. It is only worth 32k at the moment but I know if I leave it in there it will be a lot lower than that due to the global financial situation.
I am considering drawing it all out, not just the tax free 25% (which was my first idea) my DH has a much better pension and I feel that we can do some great things with this 32k (less tax) whilst we are fit and well. DH had a heart attack 10 weeks ago and I seem to have a very different outlook since then. Just don’t know if it is a totally silly idea. WWYD???