Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Selling sites

(6 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 23-May-22 20:59:31

I've used eBay in the past, and also list on Facebook marketplace, particularly for big items or for things I'm giving away in the local area.

But lately I've been listing on Vinted and definitely recommend it. No charges. Buyers can send you a label code (which is printed off using the code by the drop off shop - so no need to go to the post office or to print a label yourself).

Plus the listings can stay online indefinitely. (I've had things sell after being listed 6+ months ago. I list the items and put them away in a box, all together, so I don't forget where they are.)

Anyway, this is just FYI.

biglouis Sat 28-May-22 09:31:33

I get the impression customers on Vinted dont want to pay very much. If they are just clothes you are getting rid of fine to make a few pounds. However if they are couture brands or genuine vintage I would not sell them there.

BlueBelle Sat 28-May-22 10:08:38

I can’t get on with Vinted at all I deleted myself mainly because they use couriers and my nearest one to take the parcel to is too far for me to get to
Things do sell for very little and for a seller not ideal I was trying to sell my grandkids expensive clothes
still pricing them very cheaply for what they are but no interest they would probably expect to buy a £50 item for £3 pr £4 Wheras I would hope to get a tenner hardly worn
Back to eBay and marketplace

GagaJo Sat 28-May-22 10:19:03

biglouis

I get the impression customers on Vinted dont want to pay very much. If they are just clothes you are getting rid of fine to make a few pounds. However if they are couture brands or genuine vintage I would not sell them there.

I think you just have to be strict with the prices. I ignore all emails asking me to drop the price. Particularly if I get more than one, then I know if I wait, I'll get the listed price (happened yesterday, 3 asking for a price drop. Not happening). But you have to be prepared to wait. I just list the items at the prices I want and put them in a box until one sells.

Another reason I like Vinted is that I can list items and just leave them on there. No relisting etc.

I research the items I'm selling before to make sure my price is similar to those elsewhere and then don't budge. I'm selling off my DD's genuine vintage, expensive clothes. Prices for me are non negotiable.

I also sell off stuff that otherwise would go to the charity shop. I save good packaging from stuff the family buy online and recycle it so no packaging costs, other than tape.

I understand about the courier issue BlueBelle. It just so happens for me the corner shop near us offers a courier service so it's easier than going to a post office which is further away.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 28-May-22 10:26:19

One of the Oopsies buys and sells on Depop, she gets good prices and doesn’t seem to have any complaints about the site.

GagaJo Sat 28-May-22 10:29:42

I think anywhere that doesn't charge fees is good. I used ebay a lot in the past, but the fees are too high now so I've stopped. I think they've shot themselves in the foot there.