Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Crypto currency….. have any of you invested yet?

(79 Posts)
Sago Thu 26-May-22 16:24:42

As interest rates are so dire and I still have a fair bit of time on my hands until my work picks up post Covid?I have started to learn about Crypto and invest some small amounts.

It’s really interesting, I bought a coin recently at an all time low and the price doubled within 72 hours!

Are any of you investing?

Have you any tips?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 01-Feb-24 17:01:40

BL’s posts are a year old, so of course you’ve heard it before!

BlueBelle Thu 01-Feb-24 16:56:47

BigLouis you have posted 5 times that you bought a
house from your crypto why ? I m sure we all read it the first time

Desdemona Thu 01-Feb-24 16:47:30

From the amount of posts that are being deleted this thread seems to be attracting all sorts of dubiousness.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 01-Feb-24 16:46:56

Post by AlexKrav reported.

Desdemona Thu 01-Feb-24 16:39:40

I haven't the slightest idea how it works to be honest.

AlexKrav Thu 01-Feb-24 16:38:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

biglouis Sat 29-Jul-23 00:23:02

Trading in Bitcoin is really no different than other stocks and shares - just more volatile.

I quite enjoy a bit of spare time trading (in ordinary shares) but not using one of those silly robot programs. Often it is simply a question of keeping an eye on the news. When there is some kind of "happening" (flood/famine/war etc) you ask yourself how this can serve you and then short or go long on the stock of relevent companies.

However as several have stated upthread never invest more than you are prepared to lose.

CeceliaRice Thu 27-Jul-23 14:47:27

MerylStreep Sat 24-Jun-23 19:47:40

Good try, Frank but I think you’ll find most of us on here have been round the block a few times.
And do you think we would listen to a numpty who lost 145,000 ( of whatever currency. Get real 😡

Georgesgran Sat 24-Jun-23 19:38:43

Reported

Frank197 Sat 24-Jun-23 19:34:57

biglouis Sun 05-Mar-23 09:55:11

People who invested ten years ago are sitting pretty, but now that boat has sailed

This is true. I bought my home with money I made on crypto 12 years ago but I would not gamble with it now. I keep a small amount in a wallet for when I want to use the dark web as that is the payment method of choice.

M0nica Thu 02-Mar-23 13:14:12

It is like any gambling activity. Just do not spend more than you can afford to lose.

DD is an occasional gambler, although not on crypto currencies. She has done for years on elections and big sporting events. She enjoys the thrill. I would rather spend the money on a good book.

dragonfly46 Wed 01-Mar-23 13:27:24

Crypto is doing really badly at the moment - so badly in fact that my DD has been made redundant after 6 months. Fortunately they gave her a fair payoff.

bikergran Wed 01-Mar-23 13:23:42

Learned my lesson with a Pyramid sheme. I was taken in because 2 women that actualy worked in a bank invested in it! So I thought, oh well good enough for them! (wrong) lost over £750.
I did feel like marching into the bank but they didn't twist my arm, just filled my head with fantasies.

Georgesgran Wed 01-Mar-23 08:10:59

Looks like he hasn’t done any better with his tax query either!

Marydoll Wed 01-Mar-23 08:03:50

Merlin, has been a busy boy today!

MawtheMerrier Wed 01-Mar-23 08:01:04

Reported - goodbye Merlin

Merlin333 Wed 01-Mar-23 07:44:09

Ailidh Sun 29-Jan-23 12:08:17

No. I haven't any money I can afford to lose, so have no investments at all.

And then, I don't understand investing in something that doesn't have a physical form. I can see that if I invest in gold or flour, and demand for them fluctuates, then my investment will fluctuate. Who decides how crypto currency varies in value?

Antonia Sun 29-Jan-23 10:33:50

I wouldn't even think about it. It's far too risky and has undercurrents of the dark web about it. Use a financial advisor to invest for you if you have spare cash.

FrancisMickel Sun 29-Jan-23 09:00:25

susytish Sun 22-Jan-23 13:48:13

How do I get these callers to stop ringing me? I block the number, then they ring again with another number, different end digits. My husband and I both have health problems so can do without this daily harassment. Should I report them to the police?

dragonfly46 Sun 22-Jan-23 13:10:14

My DD has just started working for a crypto currency agency and she thinks it is the future. I won’t be investing until it is regulated in this country, however.

Susie42 Sun 22-Jan-23 13:04:53

No, I don’t understand how it works so I will stay with what I know.