Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Cost of living crisis support package

(49 Posts)
DaisyAnne Thu 26-May-22 18:10:17

I thought it was worth putting facts about this under the Benefits heading. Chat about it is going on elsewhere but will eventually drop off the list. Hopefully, this will be easier to find for those just wanting to check out the support.

This was Martin Lewis's list and I've linked to his page where the detailed explanation is further down

*A non-repayable £400 grant for all households to help with rising energy bills.
*A one-off payment of £650 for those on certain means-tested benefits.
*A one-off £300 top-up for pensioners in receipt of winter fuel payments.
*A one-off £150 payment for those on certain non-means tested disability benefits.
*An extra £500 million to be paid into the "Household Support Fund".

Grannynannywanny Thu 26-May-22 19:41:14

Thank you DaisyAnne.

Kathy72 Fri 27-May-22 10:37:01

Thank you / useful

GagaJo Fri 27-May-22 10:43:01

How do 'households' get the grant? Does anyone know?

Jaxjacky Fri 27-May-22 11:17:05

I think this explains GagaJo
www.gov.uk/government/publications/cost-of-living-support/cost-of-living-support-factsheet-26-may-2022

vegansrock Fri 27-May-22 11:18:47

So people with second homes will get £800?

Georgesgran Fri 27-May-22 11:24:10

I found a chap on BBC breakfast quite misleading - when asked about the fuel grant, he replied to look for a minus on the bill, but as I understood it - it’s a payment that can actually be used for anything?

Georgesgran Fri 27-May-22 11:26:14

Just read Jax link - it appears it will be credited to our energy bills, so I assume those well in credit already can ask to have it refunded.

winterwhite Fri 27-May-22 11:47:37

I can't see when the £400 is payable. October?

chelseababy Fri 27-May-22 13:45:30

The £400 is over 6 months from October I believe.

DaisyAnne Fri 27-May-22 14:11:31

How the £400 will be paid.

The support will come via energy suppliers to households in England, Scotland and Wales with a domestic electricity meter over six months from October. There will also be 'equivalent support' in Northern Ireland.

Direct debit and credit customers will have the money credited to their account, while customers with pre-payment meters will have the money applied to their meter or paid via a voucher.
[Source: Daily Mail]

So this is paid in the same way as the Warm Home Discount.

Two more thoughts occur. Will the Warm Home Discount also be paid to those that are eligible or will it be subsumed into this new discount? Secondly, what do people with oil rather than gas do?

DaisyAnne Fri 27-May-22 14:22:53

How the £650 for the vulnerable cost of living payment is going to be paid

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will make the payment in two lump sums – the first from July, the second in the autumn. Payments from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for those on tax credits only will 'follow shortly after each to avoid duplicate payments'.

The Government said claimants will need to be in receipt of one of these benefits; universal credit; income-based jobseekers allowance; income-related employment and support allowance; income support; working tax credit; child tax credit; and pension credit, or have begun a claim which is later successful, as of yesterday - May 25, 2022 - to be eligible for the first of the two instalments.

It added that HMRC and DWP will provide further guidance, and the Government would set out the eligibility date for the second instalment, in due course.

This payment will be tax-free, will not count towards the benefit cap, and will not have any impact on existing benefit awards. The Government will make these payments directly to households across the UK.

DaisyAnne Fri 27-May-22 14:29:52

How the £300 for Pensioners will be paid

All pensioner households will get the one-off Pensioner Cost of Living Payment as a top-up to their annual Winter Fuel Payment in November or December. For most pensioner households, this will be paid by direct debit.

People will be eligible for this payment if they are over State Pension age (aged 66 or above) between September 19 and 25 this year. The Government will make these payments directly to households across the UK.

However, there are certain circumstances where an individual above State Pension age does not qualify for the Winter Fuel Payment which can be found here on the Government website.

DaisyAnne Fri 27-May-22 14:39:40

How the £150 for the disabled will be paid

For the disability benefit recipients who receive means tested benefits this £150 will come in September on top of the £650 they will receive separately. The eligible benefits for the £150 are: Disability Living Allowance; Personal Independence Payment; Attendance Allowance; Scottish Disability Benefits; Armed Forces Independence Payment; Constant Attendance Allowance; or the War Pension Mobility Supplement,

These payments will be exempt from tax, will not count towards the benefit cap, and will not have any impact on existing benefit awards. The Government will make these payments directly to eligible people across the UK.

growstuff Fri 27-May-22 14:55:02

DaisyAnne

*How the £400 will be paid.*

The support will come via energy suppliers to households in England, Scotland and Wales with a domestic electricity meter over six months from October. There will also be 'equivalent support' in Northern Ireland.

Direct debit and credit customers will have the money credited to their account, while customers with pre-payment meters will have the money applied to their meter or paid via a voucher.

So this is paid in the same way as the Warm Home Discount.

Two more thoughts occur. Will the Warm Home Discount also be paid to those that are eligible or will it be subsumed into this new discount? Secondly, what do people with oil rather than gas do?

Given that energy bills are likely to rise by at least £60-70 a month per household next Winter, that will mean that the £400 payment is cancelled out. The subsidy will have to continue until prices come down.

I wondered about the Warm Home Discount too. I'm eligible for it, as one of the "broader" group, but Ovo has no way of applying for it.

Paulaw Tue 07-Jun-22 14:08:15

Hello everyone
I receive contributions employment support this means no £650 for myself really think this is unfair as I'm in the same position being on benefits as alot of other clements .

Franbern Sat 09-Jul-22 14:55:41

There is also something called the HARDSHIP SUPPORT FUND. Money paid to local authorities from central government to give help to those in receipt of Council Tax support and are of working age or pensionable age. This money from £50 upwards is awarded as a food voucher and recipients can choose from most supermarkets which they wish to have it for. Also given out to families where children are in receipt of free school meals.

Franbern Fri 15-Jul-22 08:37:34

Half the £650 listed at the top of this thread by DaisyAnne has landed in my bank account today.
Anybody else received this yet?

Cabbie21 Fri 15-Jul-22 08:48:37

It is worth checking with your Local Authority as each one will administer this Household Support differently.
My county is issuing vouchers only via their employees eg Social Workers, Housing Officers, to target it appropriately, whereas my nearest city is using various advice agencies, housing associations etc who will use their discretion to target the most vulnerable clients.

glammanana Fri 15-Jul-22 10:19:05

Franbern

Half the £650 listed at the top of this thread by DaisyAnne has landed in my bank account today.
Anybody else received this yet?

I received £326 into my account today also received a letter from my Local Council about £150 payment refund from Council Tax which they say I am entitled to.

henetha Fri 15-Jul-22 10:21:45

I've just posted on another thread that I am puzzled about why the DWP deposited £326 into my bank account yesterday with no explanation whatsoever. Maybe it's something to do with this.

JaneJudge Fri 15-Jul-22 10:29:42

henetha, it is. It was on teh radio yesterday

henetha Fri 15-Jul-22 10:32:06

Oh thank you JaneJudge. I was so mystified as there hasn't been any sort of personal notification. I must have missed it on the news. Anyway, it's great! smile

Katyj Fri 15-Jul-22 10:49:27

Hi my mum received £100 yesterday from the hardship fund. This is paid in cash from the post office, the same as the £150 council tax help. That’s two trips to the PO this week. she also received the £326 this week.

biglouis Fri 29-Jul-22 00:14:23

One of my relatives (who is on benfit) got £350 paid into his bank account and immediately went out and bought a VR headset. Words fail me! Come winter he will no doubt be whinging about not being able to pay his (essential) bills.

I dont pay my council tax by direct debit so the money was sent to me as a voucher to be cashed in the post office. I set it against my council tax bill so at least most of that is paid off.

Of course there is no stipulation as to how the money should be spent but I imagine most people will spend it on essential items such as food, fuel or priority bills.