Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Query re attendance allowance

(135 Posts)
ExDancer Mon 06-Jun-22 12:33:02

I have help with my large garden and also help with cleaning, so on a friends''s advice I contacted AgeUK where a nice young lady filled in a claims form for me.
Today I received a letter which says I'm to be given £92 a week .... But I don't need anything like this amount. The lady at Ageuk has put me down as needing help going to the loo during the nights .. when I don't , and help with bodily functions, which I don't.
How can i put this right without making myself look like a liar?

SporeRB Fri 09-Dec-22 23:46:26

veejay

My sister made enquiries and was told she can't claim AS if she is already getting Dla.but maybe can claim the higher rate of Dla

Veejay, your sister has to write to DLA 65+ tell them that her circumstances have changed and she needs more help with personal care.

They will send her a DLA 65+ form with 2 sections, 1st section mobility – do not fill this part just indicate ‘no change’, and fill the 2nd section on personal care.

My elderly husband also received the low rate DLA for personal care which was recently increased to DLA middle rate. This rate is equivalent to the standard rate for attendance allowance since he does not need any help at night.

veejay Sat 10-Dec-22 00:01:23

SporeRB Thank you for this advice I believe she haS applied now,she saw someone at age concern who advised her not to as she could lose the lower rate.it did put her off applying but she decided to go to the Cab for another opinion ,and the lady she spoke to said it could happen, but in her case was a minimal risk and helped her fill in the form .
I hope that is the case as she wouldn't manage without that extra money.but very worried still now

veejay Sat 10-Dec-22 00:59:59

Spore RB Did you husband get it straight away or did he have to appeal'to have it increased ?

Teacheranne Sat 10-Dec-22 01:34:23

Blondiescot

Grantanow

The form to claim AA was not designed to make claiming easy. It took three of us to help our late mother fill it in.

It certainly is not. I'm convinced it was actually designed to put people off claiming. I'm far from stupid and more than used to having to fill in all kinds of forms and official paperwork, but the AA form was an absolute nightmare.

Totally agree, I can’t remember how many pages it was but I think it was over 30. Many questions were very similar, only slightly tweaked so it felt as if I was repeating things. I completed it online so was able to save it and keep returning to add more points as they occurred to me.

I kept putting it off as it was such a huge task for a fairly small sum of money, especially if 24 hour care was not needed. Eventually Mum went to live in a care home because she was no longer safe to live alone and then the form became much easier to complete as her care needs were more obvious. As she was self funding, she was still entitled to claim AA but the amount, less than £100 a week, was a drop in the ocean compared to the £1150 per week care home fees!

Cabbie21 Sat 10-Dec-22 10:47:16

I agree that the forms are too complicated, both for AA and DLA.
Although the PIP form is long, at least there are clear criteria for being awarded points, so it is easier, if you take the trouble to understand how it works, to complete the forms appropriately.

M0nica Sat 10-Dec-22 22:01:21

i realise that this is a revived thread, but Don'tknow raises a valid point that deserves an answer.

The reason AA doesn't have to be spent on specifically getting the care for the problems listed on the form, is because often it is not possible to remedy the problem. For example: if you have problem with your mobility, severe arthritis or breathing problems, there is little you can do to sort the problems out, short of having 24/7 carers and even if the staff etc were available, the cost of such help would far exceed the value of the Attendance Allowance. carers cannot resolve incontinence problems

What Attendance Allowance does is acknowledge that the level of your disability has reached a stage where it makes it very difficult for you to live an ordinary life, and remember an ordinary life includes one free of mental illness and depression and where you an continue your ordinary life, probably not wild swimming, but getting to a Knit and Knatter session, or to the local old peoples centre.

Most people on AA live at home and home conditons vary enormously, as does whether you live alone or not. For this reason AA is given to people for them to spend as best suits them to improve their lives. In the years I was a Home Adisor, clients bought very practical items like orthopedic beds, special chairs, and other aids to living. One man had a tv so old he had to get out of his chair to change channels because it was pre-zapper. One of the first things he bought was a new tv with a zapper. He had severe arthritis and often watched programs he did not want to see because it was too painful to get up and change channels. I could write reams on the things money was spent on to improve peoples quality of life, even if it could do little to mitigate their disability.

SporeRB Sun 11-Dec-22 22:02:35

veejay

Spore RB Did you husband get it straight away or did he have to appeal'to have it increased ?

Yes, my husband got it straight away without having to go through an appeal.

veejay Mon 12-Dec-22 01:03:37

SporeRB.thank you .just wondered .I have been to an appeal before with.my son compared to anything like a court room.it is very re!axed really ,
If anyone does need to go personally it is nothing too frightening ,just a few people Sat round a table with you and anyone you want to take to help you

veejay Thu 15-Dec-22 13:18:38

Do pleased to say my sister has been granted the top amount of DLA, she only sent the form in at the end of OCtober and suddenly found extra money in her bank.no explanation of letter.but then someone rang to say money goes on first letter after.
She expected it to take longer for a decision.as the letter confirming form had been received said could take up to 11 weeks.