Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Closure of bank account

(9 Posts)
sodapop Thu 21-Jul-22 12:43:28

Barclays have sent me a letter to say they will be closing my bank account in January as I don't have a UK address. I need a UK account for my local government pension to be paid in.
There was a number to ring to discuss things further but the lady on the line had no help to offer and just repeated what it said in the letter. I think that after 40 years with this bank they could be more helpful and supportive.
Has anyone else found a solution to this problem. Another thing to thank Brexit for.

vampirequeen Thu 21-Jul-22 12:53:09

I have no advice but I agree that after 40 years of custom it's disgraceful that they won't/can't even give you any advice.

vampirequeen Thu 21-Jul-22 12:56:40

I've found this online. It might be worth contacting the banks that say they're not closing accounts.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/11/eu-bank-accounts-closed-brexit/#:~:text=Check%20with%20your%20current%20bank%20if%20there%27s%20any,will%20need%20to%20be%20your%20main%20residential%20address.

fairfraise Thu 21-Jul-22 13:02:18

You should be able to find the CEO address on line. Email him and send a hard copy to him. Try the chat facility if there is one on their banking site, and if they offer to ring you back stand by. Remind them you have been a loyal customer for 40 years. Or else you could ring them again and maybe speak to someone different. Keep a note of all times and length of phone calls. Good luck.

Jaxjacky Thu 21-Jul-22 13:21:14

I know of people in France who have their pensions paid into their French account, not sure where you are, maybe ask the pension provider?
Yes, it is Brexit, I know of others in the same situation, but their rules say you must be resident in the UK, even those using families addresses are being caught out.

sodapop Thu 21-Jul-22 17:19:15

Thanks vampirequeen I'll take a look.

M0nica Thu 21-Jul-22 22:53:39

Can you not use a AC's or other relative or friends UK address as an accommodation address. Ideally one, where you visit or stay a few nights whenever you come to the UK?

Pittcity Fri 22-Jul-22 09:05:51

If it's just one pension I'd swap to an online Bank and get the money paid in and then transferred to your usual account.

Ashcombe Fri 22-Jul-22 09:16:40

My DH lives in France but has his pensions paid into his Nationwide account. Every few months he transfers money across to a French bank account, which incurs a charge, of course. He pays his taxes in France.