Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Can Inherited wealth be taken into account in a divorce settlement.

(6 Posts)
Rosiebee Wed 03-Aug-22 12:41:00

My wonderful stepson divorced about 2 years ago and recently remarried. We are so happy for him but I have just read in a newspaper article that it shouldn't be assumed that inherited wealth will not be taken into account in a divorce settlement. When both DH and I have both gone, he could come into a considerable sum, if we haven't spent it all and my stomach turned at the thought that his ex would get 1 penny. Our DGC will get a good percentage. Has anyone ever experienced this situation? Hopefully we'll be around for a good few years yet, in our very early 70s and still got lots of adventures ahead. Can anyone put my mind at ease?

M0nica Wed 03-Aug-22 15:39:07

I am not sure, but i do not think wealth inherited after the divorce has to be shared, just wealth inherited during the marriage. But I think that this is a very complicated subject and only a solicitor could give you a reliable answer.

But there are other ways of protecting you money from an ex-wife, if that is what you want, by the use of trusts, but again, you really need to take legal advice, not rely on us, who are not experts .

Lathyrus Wed 03-Aug-22 15:41:10

The divorce should have included Financial Settlement. It depends what the conditions of that are.

foxie48 Wed 03-Aug-22 15:46:50

I'm pretty sure it's only money inherited prior to the divorce.

lixy Wed 03-Aug-22 15:50:04

What have you put in your wills?
My mum was advised that only my brother and myself should be named as beneficiaries, not my husband or my brother's wife, particularly to avoid such a situation.

(There are of course other named beneficiaries but within the family it is very tightly restricted.)

Take legal advice - it's not expensive and will put your mind at rest.

foxie48 Wed 03-Aug-22 15:51:10

Mmm just done a bit of research and it is possible, have a look through this, it might help.https://www.divorce-online.co.uk/finances/assets/inherited-assets-in-divorce/