Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

For anyone who has problems that effect the physically or mentally

(56 Posts)
Whiff Mon 15-Aug-22 10:53:32

I don't want the old thread to die the diary of a benefit claimant. As it helped me so much. And the lady who started it doesn't want to be the OP on a new one. So I started this . Didn't know what to call it but if anyone doesn't like the title it can be changed

Whiff Fri 16-Sep-22 11:15:01

Thank you Cabbie. I have phoned the Brain Charity the lady who is helping is in training but will ring me later today.

Whiff Thu 29-Sep-22 06:19:59

Right thought I would give you an update. The Brain Charity got in touch with the solicitors they use to help people prepare their case for tribunal.

Had a long chat with the solicitor who will be helping me. Sent her all the documents I have including copy of my PIP application,PIP and MRN decisions and at the solicitors request asked PIP to send me a copy of the health assessment that they carried out form PA4.

I will be sending the solicitor an email the weekend about how HPX has effected my life early and how it effects me now. Since I first asked for the PIP forms in March things have gotten worse and I have had to admit to myself I am disabled. Which has been very hard. As before my diagnosis in April I would never label myself disabled even thought doctors always have since 1988. I have meant hundreds of people over the last 34 years who I considered worse off than me. My husband was the only person who truly knew how bad I am not even my children know.

But it's time to put on my big girl pants and admit I am disabled not just weird as I thought before my diagnosis.

Thank you all for all your helped information.

FarNorth Thu 29-Sep-22 08:23:11

That's really good news that you have help from a solicitor, Whiff.
I'm very sorry to hear that things have got worse, though.
Would it help to look at it as "Yes, I do have a disability and I absolutely need it taken into account - by everyone ." ?
(Not in a self-centred way, just as an important fact ).

Cabbie21 Thu 29-Sep-22 08:41:21

Just to addd that, although you say your condition has worsened, Whiff, ( sorry to read that), the Tribunal is looking at the decision at the date it was made. Glad you have a solicitor to help you.

Whiff Thu 29-Sep-22 09:30:09

While I understand that Cabbie it's about time they should realise that peoples health gets worse the length of time everything takes. And both the PIP decision and MRN decision shows they didn't read what was written ,and at my assessment the woman didn't listen to me the same goes for who filled the MRN when I answered all her questions.

About time it was disabled people who write the questions on the forms that are sent out and not able bodied people as they have no idea what it's like.

Wish one of these higher ups could spend a day in my body and see how they cope.

Cabbie I value you all your helpful advise . But I have been fighting for 34 years . There is no cure as my condition is due to a gene mutation and I will only get worse as I get older. Even my heart condition will get worse.

It just makes me so mad that people who have paid nothing into this country can get everything. And thousands like me have to fight for help.