Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Grocery budget for two... now .

(144 Posts)
Sandytoes Sun 02-Oct-22 15:51:34

There are lots of threads about grocery budgets , but they are mostly out of date or are for a family of four or more . Just wondered what other couples spend now on food , basic toiletries and cleaning products. We are now spending £80-90 per week ( which includes about £7 of pet food ). It seems a lot for the two of us , especially as I home cook most meals and this doesnt include any alcohol.

growstuff Fri 07-Oct-22 00:01:28

Norah I'm afraid your food plan would have my blood glucose readings rising skywards.

Kartush Fri 07-Oct-22 00:15:40

My husband and I spend probably the equivalent of 90 english pounds ( had to change from Aussie dollars) per week, but that includes buying food to feed the possums and food to feed two small boys who lob on us at least twice a week. It seems a bit high but my husband loves his salami and blue vein cheese which eats up a fair bit of that as well.

Hetty58 Fri 07-Oct-22 03:57:32

About £30 when it's just me (I'm vegan) and £100 when I have a guest or two. If a family stay, it can be up to £300! I just don't buy a lot of things due to allergies, so it's 5 litres of white vinegar (cleaning and final rinse laundry - and hair) with bulk bicarb (soap/shampoo - more cleaning). My fruit and veg box is £13 - so the other £17 is various basic ingredients.

Norah Fri 07-Oct-22 15:04:09

growstuff

Norah I'm afraid your food plan would have my blood glucose readings rising skywards.

I'm sorry, I know nothing about that.

I do know our diet is unacceptable to others for many reasons.

We have started buying a meat substitute for chili, casseroles, soups.

Beyond Meat Beyond Burger is made entirely from plants but it looks, cooks and tastes like real meat. Those who try it cannot believe it is made from plants. The Beyond Burger is much healthier than the traditional burger and comes with a lower environmental footprint. It contains more protein and iron than beef burgers but no cholesterol and only half of the saturated fat. Additionally, Beyond Meat products contain no GMOs or soy. The company uses pea protein, coconut oil, and beetroot juice to replicate the looks and flavour of the meat.

Haven't used enough to judge yet.

MrsKen33 Fri 07-Oct-22 17:05:13

I agree with you growstuff ….I couldn’t eat the bread, rice etc. But the I do have blood sugar problems and probablyNorah does not.

Sandytoes Fri 07-Oct-22 20:02:58

I tend to go for basmati rice which has a low to medium glycaemic index . Fortunately I dont have to watch my blood sugar levels for any medical reason .

Franbern Sat 08-Oct-22 16:33:31

Mollygo

Franbern

Not all 'free school meals' are totally free. Some schools have meals that are more than the money they are given for these and charge parents the higher cost and for those on 'free' meals, they would still have to pay the difference in that amoint

That’s interesting Franbern. Can you give areas where that happens?

Sadly nearly all schools. Does not effect primary age groups so much, but secondary children (teenagers), may just get a single sandwich for the cost of their 'free' school meal. More and more parents whose children are entitled to 'free'school meals, are having to send a packed lunch to ensure those children are not left hungry. And, they cannot 'take it over', from one day when they do not use it to add onto the next day to make it a mor substantial amount.

I think that £2.15 is what is allocated for a free school meal, does not purchase very much in the school canteen.

A pity that the same sort of subsidy and charges for meals that are supplied to our well-paid MP's in Westminster cannot be given to our nations children.

Blondiescot Sat 08-Oct-22 17:24:49

"A pity that the same sort of subsidy and charges for meals that are supplied to our well-paid MP's in Westminster cannot be given to our nations children."
I totally agree. Especially when you see the kind of meals which are supplied to schoolchildren in other countries. In 2022, it is an absolute scandal that some children are going to school hungry. And before anyone starts on the causes of that, just remember one thing - it is never the fault of the child. In a country like ours, in this day and age, no child should be going hungry.

Norah Sat 08-Oct-22 19:32:01

Sandytoes

I tend to go for basmati rice which has a low to medium glycaemic index . Fortunately I dont have to watch my blood sugar levels for any medical reason .

We usually eat Basmatti as well.

Seems lighter, adds less rice flavour to the rest of the dish.

Norah Sat 08-Oct-22 19:49:51

Blondiescot

"A pity that the same sort of subsidy and charges for meals that are supplied to our well-paid MP's in Westminster cannot be given to our nations children."
I totally agree. Especially when you see the kind of meals which are supplied to schoolchildren in other countries. In 2022, it is an absolute scandal that some children are going to school hungry. And before anyone starts on the causes of that, just remember one thing - it is never the fault of the child. In a country like ours, in this day and age, no child should be going hungry.

There is no acceptable cause.

All children deserve to be fed well, worldwide.

Starlyte Wed 30-Nov-22 22:55:13

Eating, getting warm, travelling.... they are on the way to becoming luxuries.
Some are going to have to decide if they eat or keep warm this winter.
I have a friend who keeps sheep, but if he has more the 160 he loses money! It's the gouvernement playing with our lives, to pay of a virtual debt!!

Callistemon21 Wed 30-Nov-22 23:01:34

Katie59

M0nica

Katie59, you should read Jack Monroes back story and how she fed herself and her son on £10 a week, but if all those strapped for cash did what she did, the demand for all the cheap and desperate things she did would be so popular that the rpice of those goods would shoot up.

It’s amazing what you can do if you have to, I thought £40 a week was pretty good for 2 adults and 3 kids

I couldn't feed five people, three of them possibly always-hungry teenagers, on £40 a week.

Callistemon21 Wed 30-Nov-22 23:04:20

I don't agree with means-tested free school meals.

If every child in a state school had a free nutritious lunch every day it would be beneficial for society as a whole.

MawtheMerrier Wed 30-Nov-22 23:23:45

Starlyte

Eating, getting warm, travelling.... they are on the way to becoming luxuries.
Some are going to have to decide if they eat or keep warm this winter.
I have a friend who keeps sheep, but if he has more the 160 he loses money! It's the gouvernement playing with our lives, to pay of a virtual debt!!

Is this in France Starlyte ?

Franbern Thu 01-Dec-22 08:49:03

Callistemon21

I don't agree with means-tested free school meals.

If every child in a state school had a free nutritious lunch every day it would be beneficial for society as a whole.

So agree with this. When my children were at school it was the rule that a school dinner had to supply at least one third of the nutritional needs of that age group.

This was brought in post war to ensure that all the nations children were reasonably well nourished.

Really does need being brought back. Would be an excellent investment in the future and probably in the long term actually help to save money from future health problems.

Callistemon21 Thu 01-Dec-22 09:57:40

Really does need being brought back
But without gristly meat and sago or tapioca puddings!

Even some of the food available to purchase for school lunches is not providing a third of a child's daily nutritional requirements as far as I am aware.

Susie42 Thu 01-Dec-22 10:09:27

I don't tot up the bills but I think I spend about £120 a week but I don't buy meat or fish from the supermarkets, and OH also buys some stuff and nearly always pays when we eat out. I've started buying a bigger chicken as I find it does meals for three days rather than two, I also buy more expensive bread and milk as I find it lasts longer so I'm not throwing stuff away.

Sandytoes Thu 01-Dec-22 20:00:12

We are trying to look at some different/ cheaper meals to keep within our budget but some essentials ( I am looking at you, toilet rolls ! ) seem to have increased disproportionately, so effectively we are spending less on food than before.
We are fortunate, although we live quite rurally , we have a very small M and S food store within walking distance and they do great reductions at the end of the day and I can pick up quite a bit of meat and fish from there, if I am lucky . Its Aldi for the rest ! .