Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Has anybody any experience of applying for Power of Attorney..

(77 Posts)
marta74 Fri 04-Nov-22 12:11:55

I have been in touch with a local Solicitor regarding taking out Power of attorney. I was quoted £1,600 for this which sounds ridiculously expensive. Can anybody suggest if they think this is over the top. Perhaps Solicitors charge different fees.

Caramme Sun 26-Mar-23 18:22:53

My late mother did a Lasting Power of Attorney, finance only, about 6 years ago. It cost @£500 through her solicitor. Following a stroke Mum was no longer able to deal with her own affairs and eventually spent her last three years in a nursing home. We had to sell her home to meet the care costs. Without the power of attorney things would have been so very difficult. But, I absolutely agree with Missedout - if there is the slightest doubt about the person’s ability to make decisions, or about the relationship between people who might have an interest in the person’s affairs, go through a solicitor. LPA can be granted to more than one person to act together or singly.
Having realised how important LPAs can be I did my own by printing out the online docs. It is straightforward but you do have to be careful, mainly about the order in which you get the various sections signed and dated by witnesses, but the guidance forms are very helpful. Also, and this isn’t made clear in the instructions, you need to get copies (which you definitely will need for the bank, etc) signed and dated on every page, stating it is a true copy, either by the solicitor or by the person granting you the power of attorney.
Good luck.