Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Attendance Allowance form

(45 Posts)
nannycake Mon 07-Nov-22 11:40:50

Does anyone know how I can get an Attendance Allowance Form sent to me by post? I’ve tried the websites and they direct me to complete the forms on line. Help will be appreciated.

Cressida Mon 07-Nov-22 11:45:01

www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance/how-to-claim

Attendance Allowance helpline
Telephone: 0800 731 0122

Lathyrus Mon 07-Nov-22 11:51:33

I have to ask nannycake, if you’re online to look at the websites could you fill in the form online?

It’ll be processed so much more quickly.

🙂

kittylester Mon 07-Nov-22 11:52:30

Please get Age UK to help you claim. They will send for the form for you. They sent out date stamped and need to be returned with in set period (I think 6 weeks)

There gave been lots of threads suggesting that it is far better to get help filling in the form.

Grantanow Mon 07-Nov-22 12:26:30

Yes, get help filling in the form from Age UK or CAB. I helped fill it for my late MIL along with two sisters and it was tricky. It's more intended to stop claims than allow them in my opinion.

Blondiescot Mon 07-Nov-22 12:44:01

Totally agree about getting help to fill in the form if you possibly can. I'm no stranger to dealing with official forms etc and even I found it a struggle. Also bear in mind that apparently 68% of AA claims are rejected, so if your claim is turned down, you do have the right to first ask for it to be reconsidered, and then to appeal. Good luck. I was successful in claiming for my MiL, but my FiL's claim was turned down, so I'm now in the process of appealing that.

nannycake Mon 07-Nov-22 13:19:52

Thank you for the helpful comments. I’ll try and do it online before I think about a paper copy.

Caleo Mon 07-Nov-22 14:50:57

If the answers are so critical and important I'd want to get a solicitor or some other professional who advocates for my interests to fill it in for me.

Franbern Mon 07-Nov-22 16:00:51

Do not think a solicitor would be of any help with these forms. I found it very straight forward and simple when I completed my application a few years back - for physical not mental problems. Just answered totally truthfully as for the worst times.

Was awarded Higher level backdated to date I asked for the form in the first place

People approach these sort of forms with such trepidation - rather than just listing the reality of their lives.

Charleygirl5 Mon 07-Nov-22 16:27:23

3 weeks ago I filled in the Higher level form for a friend of mine who is 92 and registered sight impaired. One would have thought she would be sent the money automatically but no, we had to work out how long it takes for her to get in and out of bed, turn over in bed etc. Amazingly she does not go to bed with a stopwatch and notebook.

I filled in that form similar to the way I filled in my own Blue Badge application and we are waiting for a decision.

I suggest you scroll through the questions online first because from memory I think evidence of where you live etc is required.

Please do not give up and get help if you need it.

Blondiescot Mon 07-Nov-22 17:53:09

Franbern, it's definitely more difficult when you are filling it in on behalf of someone else, as was the case for me when I had to do it for the in-laws.

Iam64 Mon 07-Nov-22 17:58:38

Nannycake, ask Age Concern to help. These forms depend on the way questions are answered

kittylester Mon 07-Nov-22 18:01:24

Please, please, get AgeUk to help. That is the advice in the majority of posts here.

boheminan Mon 07-Nov-22 18:23:26

Co-incidentally I started to fill in the online form for Attendance Allowance today but was stumped on a couple of the questions, so as advised by friends, I contacted Age UK to ask if they could help, but they can only do so if there's an AGE UK in your area (there isn't in mine) so just a warning that AGE UK can't help in every case...

silverlining48 Mon 07-Nov-22 18:24:04

If successful, payment of AA should be backdated to the date you first contacted them. Would agree about getting advice completing the form. If initially refused always appeal.

Blondiescot Mon 07-Nov-22 18:35:55

silverlining48

If successful, payment of AA should be backdated to the date you first contacted them. Would agree about getting advice completing the form. If initially refused always appeal.

That's correct. We applied for AA for both my in-laws back in July, but my MiL's was only approved last week - the payment has been backdated to July, however.

Cabbie21 Mon 07-Nov-22 19:35:31

Useful information here.
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/claiming-attendance-allowance/help-with-attendance-allowance-form/

Plenty of advice to read, before you start. Eg keep a diary.

Witzend Mon 07-Nov-22 19:42:49

It’s certainly advised to get Age U.K. to help you fill them in - they know the ‘trigger’ words or phrases to use. Plus you need to state how things are on the worst day (or night or both) - definitely don’t gloss over anything.

I did it myself for FiL but that was ages ago now - they’ve probably tightened up quite a bit since then.

ParlorGames Tue 08-Nov-22 11:31:45

Iam64

Nannycake, ask Age Concern to help. These forms depend on the way questions are answered

Yes, I agree. I am sure they are designed in such a way as to deliberately create confusion in the hope that people won't bother applying!
My Advice to anyone applying..........read each question several times before answering.........Good Luck! and I mean that sincerely.smile

Davida1968 Tue 08-Nov-22 11:31:57

Another vote here for asking Age UK to help with the form. They were great with supporting a very aged relative. (He received the full amount, which helped to pay for a daily carer.)

sandwichgeneration Tue 08-Nov-22 11:49:54

I would like to agree with all those recommending Age UK. Their help was invaluable. They know what they're doing and the form is long and difficult to complete on your own.

Grantanow Tue 08-Nov-22 11:55:58

I agree - a solicitor would be a waste of money. It needs someone who is used to 'social care speak' and knows the right buttons to press. Age UK is possible or CAB or someone who has done it before. Don't hesitate to appeal if you get rejected.

Sadgrandma Tue 08-Nov-22 11:56:47

Until Covid I volunteered for Citizens Advice and we filled in hundreds of AA and other forms for clients. Please ask them for help

Bijou Tue 08-Nov-22 12:02:01

Some time back it took me three attempts to get the lower Attendance Allowance. Now that my condition has worsened I decided to apply for the upper end. After struggling to fill in the form I find that I can only get it if I need help at night. It is during the day that I have to pay for more help

Bluesmum Tue 08-Nov-22 12:07:18

My severely disabled friend applied unsuccessfully four times for attendance allowance, was on the verge of giving up, when social services visited on an unrelated matter. She explained her frustration, they completed a form there and then and her application was approved immediately!!! So, do get official help, it really does help xxxx. Good luck to all needy applicants xx