Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Own Hand written Will in plain English

(169 Posts)
MollyMinx1 Sat 21-Jan-23 17:26:21

If I write my own simple Will at home in plain English have it witnesses by two non beneficiaries, list who gets some cash gifts. Then write I want my home, it's contents, personal effects and my finances to go to my only son, and I choose an executor to pay my debts and all costs and carry out my wishes, date it, is it properly legal in the eyes of the UK law.? Do I have to register it with a solicitor or somewhere? Hope you can help

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 21-Jan-23 17:49:30

You don’t have to register it anywhere but please know that solicitors make far more money from sorting out home made wills than from drawing them up. I would urge you to get your will prepared by a solicitor if you want to have the peace of mind of knowing all is in order. It’s very easy to trip up in this complex area of law, believe me. It’s nothing to do with writing in plain English.

Fleurpepper Sat 21-Jan-23 17:56:43

If he is your only son and no-one can contest that, then that is fine- although I would prefer to have a solicitor check it, and keep a copy.

MayBee70 Sat 21-Jan-23 18:04:31

I had my will drawn up by the Will Writing Company but they went into liquidation. We all have copies of it along with the power of attorney stuff. Will my children just be able to show that to their solicitors when I ‘m gone or should I give my copy to a solicitor?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 21-Jan-23 18:06:40

I would never trust a will writing company, only a qualified practising solicitor who, if a mistake has been made, will have insurance.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 21-Jan-23 18:08:45

No fp it is not fine, believe me. For example, what provision is made in the unfortunate event that he dies before OP? Money spent on getting a solicitor to prepare a will is well spent.

Iam64 Sat 21-Jan-23 18:11:47

Mr i re-wrote his will when he got his awful diagnosis. It was only complex because we agreed to turn cash we lent one of our adult children to secure housing would become a gift, nit loan. We obviously ensured our other adult child was suitably compensated. They’re aware and fully ok with this. I re-wrote my will a month before his unexpected and untimely death. Both wills checked out by solicitors.

Fleurpepper Sat 21-Jan-23 18:35:13

Germanshepherdsmum

No fp it is not fine, believe me. For example, what provision is made in the unfortunate event that he dies before OP? Money spent on getting a solicitor to prepare a will is well spent.

Then OP would re-write the will, surely.

M0nica Sat 21-Jan-23 18:38:18

Another who says get it done professionally. You may write a will, MollyMinx1 that reads absolutely clearly to you. who know the people and what you want to do with everything, but when that will is read after the event, probably by a solicitor, they may find it very confusing and not be clear about exactly what you meant.

A couple of hundred £s getting a professionally drawn up will, is worth it to save the danger of thousands of £s in sorting it out after you have gone.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 21-Jan-23 19:09:42

fp, maybe by then she has become mentally incapable. You cannot rely on changing your will later. It’s the solicitor in me saying ‘what if?’.

Riverwalk Sat 21-Jan-23 19:14:05

Germanshepherdsmum

I agree.

I updated my will a few years ago a long time after divorcing - my will was relatively simple but the first thing the solicitor asked me was something that I hadn't thought of - if one of my son's pre-deceases me what happens to his share, does it go to his children or shared between the other beneficiaries. In those circumstances I might well die before getting around to changing my will.

I don't understand why people would skimp on such an important document.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 21-Jan-23 19:20:31

Nor do I. They have perhaps been lead to believe it’s all straightforward and solicitors rip you off. It isn’t and they don’t. Peace of mind is worth paying for.

Riverwalk Sat 21-Jan-23 19:22:40

Also, the Op says her 'only son' - there could be daughters or does she mean her only child?

Shinamae Sat 21-Jan-23 19:41:08

I paid £176 a few years ago for my will to be done by Solicitor. However I ended up ripping it up because I did not like that language that was used. I ended up writing my own will but maybe with what you’ve said? GSM I might go to the solicitors and look at the copy they’ve got. I have three children two of which had money 20 years ago. The third was too young so he is being left half of this house when I die, the house is to be valued and younger son gets half the value. and the other two get a quarter of the value each. If younger son wants to buy the house he has to buy the other two out. I have put this in my hand written will but from what you were saying, it could be a bit of a minefield?? although in my eyes, it’s quite simple and straightforward🤓….

Shinamae Sat 21-Jan-23 19:42:04

Shinamae

I paid £176 a few years ago for my will to be done by Solicitor. However I ended up ripping it up because I did not like that language that was used. I ended up writing my own will but maybe with what you’ve said? GSM I might go to the solicitors and look at the copy they’ve got. I have three children two of which had money 20 years ago. The third was too young so he is being left half of this house when I die, the house is to be valued and younger son gets half the value. and the other two get a quarter of the value each. If younger son wants to buy the house he has to buy the other two out. I have put this in my hand written will but from what you were saying, it could be a bit of a minefield?? although in my eyes, it’s quite simple and straightforward🤓….

I like straightforward, English and goods and chattels, just annoyed me!

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 21-Jan-23 20:03:13

Trust the solicitor shinamae. You might not like legal language but it’s the law which will govern the effect of your will and whether it’s valid or not. If you have ripped up the original will you have revoked it so you need to make a new one. A copy is no good.

Shinamae Sat 21-Jan-23 20:17:32

Germanshepherdsmum

Trust the solicitor shinamae. You might not like legal language but it’s the law which will govern the effect of your will and whether it’s valid or not. If you have ripped up the original will you have revoked it so you need to make a new one. A copy is no good.

So what will the solicitor have, just a copy?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 21-Jan-23 20:23:37

Yes, if you have ripped up the original you’ve revoked it!

Quokka Sat 21-Jan-23 20:40:20

One thing to remember when signing your will is to sign directly under the last sentence. My aunt died leaving a handwritten will, legally witnessed, but she had left a good few inches between the words and her signature.

It was declared void.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 21-Jan-23 20:52:20

My mothers hand written will was also declared void and the person she didn’t want to inherit got half of the small amount she left instead of the ones she wanted to inherit.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 21-Jan-23 20:55:50

A salutary lesson there.

Callistemon21 Sat 21-Jan-23 21:09:54

You can have a will drawn up by a solicitor free of charge, MollyMinx1, if you leave a certain amount to charity.

freewillsmonth.org.uk/#:~:text=Free%20Wills%20Month%20is%20back,locations%20across%20England%20and%20Scotland

It avoids unnecessary complications to have a will drawn up by a solicitor.

Shinamae Sat 21-Jan-23 21:15:05

Callistemon21

You can have a will drawn up by a solicitor free of charge, MollyMinx1, if you leave a certain amount to charity.

freewillsmonth.org.uk/#:~:text=Free%20Wills%20Month%20is%20back,locations%20across%20England%20and%20Scotland

It avoids unnecessary complications to have a will drawn up by a solicitor.

Thank you so much I have registered my interest..💐

Callistemon21 Sat 21-Jan-23 21:26:09

We did that, Shinamae

Fleurpepper Sat 21-Jan-23 21:28:33

Great idea