Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Warm Home Discount NEW criteria - England

(16 Posts)
Bea65 Wed 25-Jan-23 14:25:37

Have rec'd this for many years but now find the eligibility has changed...and find that I maybe no longer eligible...I'm still working part time and receive WTC but have tried to contact energy supplier without success...has anyone on here had any experience with this scheme recently..they are looking at EPC on the type of property you live in and am totally unaware of this and have tried to access the new data but still searching..

Georgesgran Wed 25-Jan-23 14:36:17

Just what I’ve seen on the website Bea65 but my DD who is disabled is no longer eligible. Hope you can get through to your supplier to get more information.

BlueBelle Wed 25-Jan-23 14:44:03

I used to get the Warm home discount but this year I was told I wouldn’t get it as I m not on pension Credit or other benefits
What’s EPC ?

Georgesgran Wed 25-Jan-23 14:48:56

It’s an Energy Performance Certificate BB. I’ve just had to get a new one to rent out a house - cost £80.

growstuff Wed 25-Jan-23 14:56:12

I've received it in the past too, but I'm not eligible this year.

The criteria have been changed so that only people who live in accommodation which isn't energy efficient receive it.

EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate. The grades go from A to G. Grades A-C are considered to have good energy efficiency.

Only people who live in accommodation with grades D and below are eligible.

I know that my house has a C grade because it's rented and the landlord had to have an EPC check done, but the grade for other accommodation has been estimated and compared with similar properties.

If you think that your property has a low EPC grade, you could pay for a check to be done. However, it's probably going to be more expensive than the Warm Home Discount you're likely to receive, even if you only have a very low income.

growstuff Wed 25-Jan-23 14:57:38

Ah! Just seen Georgran's post. If they cost £80, it might be worth having a check done, but if it turns out that the property has a grade C or above, you still won't be eligible for the discount.

3nanny6 Wed 25-Jan-23 15:02:59

Have you been on website? www.gov.uk/the-warm-discount-scheme or try Freephone 0800 107 8003. I usually receive it in November but so far have not had it.
I suppose it is because they give the £67.00 a month out for fuel scheme (completely different scheme) and they probably think we are all managing well on that. I have had both electric and gas on constantly for two weeks it is so cold where I live.
I have had to have the gas heating on day and night or else my house is freezing. The £67 pounds help but is basically nothing as to all the other money I also top up on my meter.

growstuff Wed 25-Jan-23 15:13:37

It's nothing to do with the £67. Unless you receive certain benefits, you should have applied for it.

Bea65 Wed 25-Jan-23 15:39:01

3nanny6 the Gov £68 each month till Mar and the other Cost of Living payments do not impact on the new criteria but it seems fewer people are now not eligible 🤔

BlueBelle Wed 25-Jan-23 16:20:28

Well I live in a large old Band C house but I have no heating except one gas fire so how can they judge what you have or need or how efficient it all is

growstuff Wed 25-Jan-23 16:25:12

BlueBelle

Well I live in a large old Band C house but I have no heating except one gas fire so how can they judge what you have or need or how efficient it all is

Do you mean Band C for heating efficiency? It's not about council tax bands.

I read something about this ages ago (sorry - can't remember where). They compare your property with similar properties, for example a three bedroom 100 year old semi (or whatever).

If you think that you meet the other criteria, it might be worth having an EPC done.

BlueBelle Wed 25-Jan-23 16:28:35

Ohhh sorry I thought you meant Band C council tax
Well I can’t afford to spend £80 on a test so guess I ll have to suck it up

Georgesgran Wed 25-Jan-23 16:34:00

There should be an EPC available if a house was built less than 10 years ago - the builder would’ve supplied one. I think there must be a register somewhere, as an Estate Agent knew I needed a new one to rent out a house.

HousePlantQueen Wed 25-Jan-23 19:10:21

You can go online and see if there is an epc for your property.

BlueBelle Wed 25-Jan-23 19:13:32

I ve looked and there isn’t for me and it’s 150 year old with its original sash windows and fireplaces so pretty cold

Bea65 Fri 27-Jan-23 13:09:02

My address not found either!!