Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Private Healthcare

(134 Posts)
Elless Wed 01-Feb-23 10:15:48

We are grudging to do so but are considering taking out a private healthcare plan. Can anyone recommend a good one or give any advice?

Primrose53 Sun 26-Mar-23 17:25:56

My friend has bad knees. She has struggled on but her family have persuaded her to get checked out. As it can be a year+ to even get a referral she paid privately to see a consultant. After examination, Xrays etc She was told she does need new knees and when she asked how long, he said he could do one next week!

I looked into private health insurance myself but never reached a decision. I found it difficult weighing up one against another.

M0nica Fri 10-Feb-23 19:13:08

According to this link www.expatriatehealthcare.com/the-top-10-healthcare-systems-in-the-world-2022/

We are rated 10th in the ranking of best health systems. South Korea, Taiwan and Denmark are the top three.

argymargy Fri 10-Feb-23 07:04:57

I had private health cover through work with Vitality. The great thing about that company is that it incentivises healthy lifestyle - so you can get money and other things to offset your premiums. It’s cost-effective all round.

Brahumbug Fri 10-Feb-23 06:03:49

If you take out private health insurance then you are better going for moratorium cover rather than full disclosure, as after 2 years you would be covered for pre existing conditions, provided you had not had any treatment, testing or advice on them in the 2 years.

Fleurpepper Mon 06-Feb-23 20:40:07

It was, it truly was, and yes, it was the envy of the world. No more.

M0nica Mon 06-Feb-23 18:02:56

crazyH, Irony at its best.

luluaugust Mon 06-Feb-23 09:51:49

We do the same as Monica having had private cover through work when retirement arrived we had to stop. I realised with my mum getting to a great age that as time went on her health problems were mostly emergencies which weren't covered anyway.

Magrithea Mon 06-Feb-23 09:32:59

crazyH

Seriously, why would anyone pay for private health care , when we have the best health care system in the world ? We are the envy of the world.

Sadly we're not the envy of the world - our health care system is creaking at the seams and not fit for purpose! Those with the power to do so shy away from reform as they fear a public backlash

tickingbird Sun 05-Feb-23 15:12:17

I’ve double checked on the Saga one I mentioned and even spoke to someone ( I know they’re there to big it up) but it’s all conditions covered as long as there’s been no visits to GP or hospital within 3 years for said conditions. In my case I’ve had problems with my knees and had cartilage removed from both and steroid injection in one. Nothing in over 3 years and I was assured I’d be covered if I needed a replacement

nadateturbe Sun 05-Feb-23 11:34:50

Niksmrs46 so pleased for you.

nadateturbe Sun 05-Feb-23 11:32:52

Benenden isn't totak private health care, it's a plan, and previous conditions aren't excluded.

ParlorGames Sun 05-Feb-23 09:55:10

All of the private healthcare ads I've seen on TV clearly state that pre-existing medical issues cannot be treated if people sign up for their plans. Therefore, I don't think there's much point in starting a plan in our later years when medical issues are already 'in situ' and wouldn't be covered anyway.

Franbern Sun 05-Feb-23 09:19:36

crazyH

Seriously, why would anyone pay for private health care , when we have the best health care system in the world ? We are the envy of the world.

Think this is very 'tongue in cheek'.

When it was set up back in the forties, it probably the envy of the world and totally free at the point of service.

Tragically, over the past fourteen years, it has been deliberately and carefully run-down and most of it privatised. Over the next very few years it will cease to exist and there will be just some charity wards, etc for the poorest of us, with very many just not getting any treatment at all.

Nicksmrs46 Sat 04-Feb-23 23:19:43

I had both my cataracts done at Benenden 15 months ago . My eyes were so bad I couldn’t read the sight board , the NHS waiting time for surgery mainly due to covid restrictions was 15 months ! Told my optician I had private cover , he sent a letter to my doctor saying I needed cataract replacement and this was arranged via a phone call to Benenden. A first assessment was booked for 2 weeks and my left eye was done the same day , my right eye 4 weeks later .. excellent service and well looked after . We pay £11.90 each per month each.

Joplin Sat 04-Feb-23 19:56:52

Another one from Somerset!

Blacktabby2 Sat 04-Feb-23 18:34:32

I have been sent private from NHS for a much needed hysterectomy....waited 4 years !

Cabbie21 Sat 04-Feb-23 17:28:00

My husband, like many others, has gone private for dental care as there was no alternative. No local dentists are taking new NHS clients, except children. He is very happy with the advice and treatment received and says the dentist is “old school”.

nadateturbe Sat 04-Feb-23 17:22:01

Daisymae

I've had Beneden for years the plus is that its cheap, about £11 a month. The minus is that the first time I enquired about using it for a minor issue they seems delighted to tell me no. I always thought that it would be better than nothing but looks like I'm hundreds of pounds out of pocket and have nothing to show!

This is the first time I've heard of this happening Daisymae. Very unfortunate. I can honestly say I've never been turned down. Even recently I had a little sore in my nose, nothing serious and my doctor said I should get it checked. No problem getting the fee from Benenden- a total waste in my opinion. Consultant said it was fine. But the point is Benenden paid it.

effalump Sat 04-Feb-23 16:43:06

If I could afford it, I would definitely go private for dental work.

Stella14 Sat 04-Feb-23 16:33:33

I have had Bupa’s ‘hospital care policy’ for about 18 years. It’s much cheaper than their full policy as it does not include outpatient Consultant appointments. It includes tests, so if during an initial Consultation the Consultant wants, scans, X-rays, bloods etc, they are all covered. Any procedure carried out (minor or major) is covered and there is £500 per annum for physiotherapy. Tests ordered by my GP with a report back to him, as opposed to a Consultant, are also fully covered.

The included cancer care is first class, includes all treatment, including outpatient care, even drugs that are not approved by NICE if there is evidence of their effectiveness and they’re recommended by an Oncologist. Likewise Cardiac and Stroke treatment. The price increases each year in line with their risk. As a 63-year-old none smoker, I pay £140 per month. This gives me real peace of mind.

Unfortunately, my husband, who I met 14-years ago, had developed diabetes before we looked at a price for him. It was much more expensive and due to pre-existing diabetes, it has the potential to rule out various claims for him as they could state they may be related to his condition. So he isn’t insured.

leeds22 Sat 04-Feb-23 16:29:48

Used to be with AXA PPP but the premiums got ridiculous. So now, like Monica, we pay the same amount into our own health care kitty each month. Three years and its a tidy pot. We would always have expected to rely on the NHS for acute or critical problems anyway.

HiMay Sat 04-Feb-23 16:09:34

Quite a few people I know were able to have cataract surgery using Benenden

HiMay Sat 04-Feb-23 16:08:35

Benenden

Daisymae Sat 04-Feb-23 16:06:30

I've had Beneden for years the plus is that its cheap, about £11 a month. The minus is that the first time I enquired about using it for a minor issue they seems delighted to tell me no. I always thought that it would be better than nothing but looks like I'm hundreds of pounds out of pocket and have nothing to show!

GrauntyHelen Sat 04-Feb-23 15:38:21

Falling into the trap this evil Government has set I see I won't be helping them dismantle the NHS