Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Private Healthcare

(133 Posts)
Elless Wed 01-Feb-23 10:15:48

We are grudging to do so but are considering taking out a private healthcare plan. Can anyone recommend a good one or give any advice?

Calendargirl Wed 01-Feb-23 13:21:50

No help from me, sorry, but just bumping the thread as I’m sure someone can offer advice.

Shinamae Wed 01-Feb-23 13:27:31

Out of curiosity, I had a look at BUPA prices,could not believe how much it was,way out of my budget…🫣🤨

crazyH Wed 01-Feb-23 13:30:04

Seriously, why would anyone pay for private health care , when we have the best health care system in the world ? We are the envy of the world.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Feb-23 13:30:59

Perhaps because of the waiting lists?

Norah Wed 01-Feb-23 13:42:15

crazyH

Seriously, why would anyone pay for private health care , when we have the best health care system in the world ? We are the envy of the world.

Some don't find waiting best - we don't want to wait.

Charleygirl5 Wed 01-Feb-23 13:48:24

Elless I am certain that old conditions are not taken on board by a private health company. Even if I could afford it and I cannot, because of the sheer cost, most parts of my body would be classed as an old condition.

annsixty Wed 01-Feb-23 14:02:14

My GD knows something about private insurance and no pre existing conditions are covered until at least 2/3 years after you start paying premiums.
I believe that some serious ones are never covered.
For older people just taking out cover the cost is phenomenal.
Even after many years with the same provider it it still very very expensive for older people and goes up every year ,one factor being that you are a year older so more risky and secondly medical inflation, cost of consultants,
hospitals and all the other associated costs.
This increase is a high percentage.

Farzanah Wed 01-Feb-23 14:07:10

I can’t see how many older people can afford private health care plans. Statistically we cost the health service most during the last few years of our lives. and premiums, restrictions and exclusions on policies will reflect this. There is also the rising cost of procedures, a hip replacement in my area costs £14+.
Insurance companies do not run at a loss!

I may be mistaken of course and there may plenty of super rich Gransnetters smile and I can understand those who aren’t wealthy paying privately for a one off procedure, if in pain, to skip the long waiting lists.

I am so thankful that we have a national health service free at the point of delivery, and hope we don’t go down the road of a private health insurance schemes, similar to USA, however tempting it may be in the present crisis. The only winners will be insurance firms and pharmaceutical companies.

To have a health service that is the envy of the world, as we once had, we will have to pay for it through taxation. It is an ideological choice which the government can make - or not, as at present.

Joseanne Wed 01-Feb-23 14:13:14

I can only speak about them through the company policies we have had:
Norwich Union - worked well, claims dealt with no problems
BUPA - excellent in every way, expensive I believe
AXA PPP - not so good, sometimes raised objections

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Feb-23 14:16:31

At my age and with existing conditions insurance would be very expensive and would come with exclusions. I would rather simply pay for private treatment if and when needed.

Norah Wed 01-Feb-23 14:24:39

Farzanah I can understand those who aren’t wealthy paying privately for a one off procedure, if in pain, to skip the long waiting lists.

Precisely. It's not always insurance or treatment in UK.

We couldn't wait for our knee replacement(s), bone on bone - had to be accomplished, too painful to wait/ no real walking.

Grandma70s Wed 01-Feb-23 14:25:43

Germanshepherdsmum

At my age and with existing conditions insurance would be very expensive and would come with exclusions. I would rather simply pay for private treatment if and when needed.

I’ve done that. I had my cataract operation privately, but don’t have insurance for private care.

tickingbird Wed 01-Feb-23 14:43:31

Firstly I don’t believe our health service is the envy of the world anymore. The NHS is failing and unless someone has the guts to take it on and cut out all the waste in so many areas it will get worse.

I’ve been looking into private health insurance and Saga looked promising. Old concerns are covered - it’s anything that you haven’t consulted the dr about in the previous 3 years. For the top, super cover, no limit of claims, it was £130 per month with two months free for the first year. I haven’t decided yet.

Norah Wed 01-Feb-23 14:49:30

tickingbird Firstly I don’t believe our health service is the envy of the world anymore.

Indeed No envy, from anyone!

Georgesgran Wed 01-Feb-23 14:54:05

That’s very good tickingbird. When DH retired in 2005, we were quoted £500 a month even though we both hadn’t used the system much at all - although I’d had a piece of cartilage taken from my knee as a day patient. We decided it just wasn’t worth it and if we needed to go private for anything we’d just pay. We did the same with pet insurance when we had 10 dogs at home.

M0nica Wed 01-Feb-23 14:57:40

Elless Instead of paying extortionate healthcare premiums. Take the money that would otherwise go on pemiums into a savings account each month and watch it mount up.

We had health insurance for about 10 years when we were in our 60s. We worked out we paid out £28,000 in that time, apart for paying for cataract surgery, we used it for nothing else so were nearly £20,000 out of pocket.

When we reached 70 our subscription charges doubled, so we did the calculation above, cancelled out health insurance and instead we opened a savings account at the local building society and set up a DD to transfer to the Building Soc, the amount we had paid to BUPA during our membership.

Ten years later we still pay the same amount in each month. We now have a 5 figure sum in the building society, enough to pay for 2 hip operations, despite taking money out for a variety of minor medical needs, several private appointments with consultants, one course of treatment and expensive dental treatment.

Anything acute and/or critical is picked up by the NHS. Private money, in our case, are for things the doctor is unenthusiastic about referring on, or where queues are long.

All that money we could have spent on health care is all still in out personal 'Hospital Fund' and is available for other uses if really necessary, ncluding paying for healthcare for children and grandcildren.

Farzanah Wed 01-Feb-23 15:07:36

There are pitfalls to consider when taking out private insurance which I’m sure you’re aware of tickingbird.
A first year’s premium is not what you will pay in subsequent years. It will increase each year, and of course as you age.

Some treatments are better on NHS.

I worked in the NHS all my working life so have to declare a prejudice and I do not agree that cut out all the waste in so many areas is the solution to what is ailing the NHS.

Our local private hospital is not one I should care to be a patient in. They’re not all like luxury hotels!

Farzanah Wed 01-Feb-23 15:14:31

That is a really good idea MOnica and what I do to pay for dental work.

Insurance companies are not charities and are there to make money. I only pay for essential insurance, travel, house and cars.

joannapiano Wed 01-Feb-23 15:17:15

We have BUPA. I have just had a cataract done in a private clinic. It is not cheap, particularly since DH started his cancer treatment, but we feel, your health comes first in life. We live fairly frugally but choose to pay to have prompt treatment. Everyone has a right to choose what their priorities are in life.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Feb-23 15:25:32

I had a quick look at Saga after what you said tickingbird. I fear you may not have studied the conditions too closely.
I would certainly agree with saving the premiums up and using the pot to pay for treatment if and when required.

Chestnut Wed 01-Feb-23 15:30:48

That's a fascinating post M0nica but how much did you pay to BUPA monthly, and then continued to pay? You seem to have accumulated quite a bit.

tickingbird Wed 01-Feb-23 15:31:09

Thanks for that GSM. I haven’t taken it out as still considering my options. I shall take a closer look!

Fleurpepper Wed 01-Feb-23 15:33:57

The older you are when you join, the most expensive it is. And they will ask for you to declare any and all pre-exisiting conditions. They will add hugely to cost, or be excluded from cover. Most will ask for a true and factual report from your GP, who will have to list all pre-existing conditions.

M0nica Wed 01-Feb-23 16:06:41

Chestnut, we were paying £200 a month to BUPA and this amount is still the amount we are putting in each month.

When we started DH was working and he put a couple of thousand in the savings account to get us over any help we might need in the first year - if we needed a consultation, but since then it has just accumulated. Mostly it has been a consultants appointment. We have only taken amounts in excess of £1,000 twice and both were less than £2,000.

As I said, anything critical or acute, the NHS is superb. DH had a heart attack and needed urgent bypass surgery - and that was all NHS.

I have had some minor problems recently, nothing uncomfortable or disabling and I am amblibg through the NHS at present and have got signed up to a research project at our local University Hospital. This comes with a free taxi to and from the hospital and regular scans and checkups.

But the money remains ours, all ours and reverts to our estate when we die. Or, as happened when the finance for our extension was delayed, we paid a builder's bill out of it, and returned the money a month later when the finance came through.