Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Using a debit card to pay my credit card directly from the credit card statementstatement

(38 Posts)
M0nica Fri 03-Feb-23 20:36:28

Despite all the hoo-haa about the changes to the John Lewis credit card I have discovered one real bonus in it.

My bank account is not online. (This is a thought out decision, not because I can't understand it, so is not up for discussion. )

However with the John Lewis card. I get my statement online and when I want to pay I just click on a Debit card option on the statement, fill in my debit card details and the money is promptly moved from my offline current account to John Lewis, just like any other debit card transaction.

John Lewis is a badged Mastercard. I would also like to find a badged Visa card that works in the same way, but every one I have looked at, allows me to pay the statement by debit card, but only via my onlinebank account. requesting my bank account to transfer money to the credit card company using the debit card. I want one that works like the John Lewis one, that I can pay with my debit card through the Visa statement and works like any other debit card transaction.

Has anyone come across one that works like this?

lemsip Sat 18-Feb-23 09:01:32

Jaylou well said.

people are quick to comment with opinions which ignore the OPs request..
this happens on every thread.

Katie59 Sat 18-Feb-23 07:21:07

I do have an online account and I don’t worry about security because I need 3 passwords to get in and an OTP to confirm the payment.
My main concern is that you must have an up to date smartphone to use the system and the time will come when I and others will not be able to operate it.

DIL has a small attachment to her computer that logs in automatically that is simpler, for most of us a contactless card is going to be by far the easiest way to manage money.

M0nica Fri 17-Feb-23 20:10:50

Thank you Jaylou.

Jaylou Fri 17-Feb-23 18:54:05

Poor M0nica, she said in her OP that her bank account is not online, and this decision was not up for discussion. I know people are trying to help, but feel her actual question is now overshadowed by posts that are trying to sway her decision.
Not having a go at anyone, just my point of view.
Sorry I can't help with an answer that fits your question. Good Luck.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Feb-23 17:52:26

MOnica, if you’re using your debit card online (to pay off your JL card), wouldn’t it be easier to set up online banking with just enough in your current account to pay off your other credit cards? You’ve already accepted the risk of using your debit card online to pay off your JL card. Provided you strictly control the amount in your current account, are you really taking on a greater risk? I didn’t realise anybody still paid credit card debts by cheque - there’s always a first time for your cheque to be lost in the post, thereby incurring interest and damaging your credit rating. Recently a friend in her 90s, who pays everything by cheque, was threatened with a visit from the bailiffs because the cheque paying her electricity bill was lost in the post.

M0nica Fri 17-Feb-23 17:40:11

growstuff I pay my JL card off online using my debit card. I still need to pay the visa card with a cheque because the supplier does not have this facility and I otherwise have to be registered for online banking to pay it off online.

It is impossible to find any financial company, or any other big international company that is squeaky clean. I am staying with my JL card because it is really convenient and so easy to pay off. I was just wondering whether there was a visa card that was as easy to pay.

NorthFace Fri 17-Feb-23 12:55:23

M0nica. Try Barclaycard to see what they offer.

On online banking security in general. I signed up for internet banking in 1997. In 26 years, I have never had a problem and use my online current account to move large sums of money around. They have a 10K limit per transaction so larger sums have to be moved in tranches.

Challenger banks offer good rates of interest on investments but these tend to be online only with no physical branches. (Metro is an exception.).The challengers I use demand that investments are made only through a nominated and validated online current account. It’s a safeguard against money laundering.

I do have a mobile banking app but keep that for emergencies only as there can be security issues with wifi hotspots and shared networks. I have more control over security with my own domestic wifi router and do my banking and bill paying from home rather than on the move.

People keep saying that debit cards are not safe to use online but don’t give any evidence why. Other than keylogger viruses, where is the danger? Can anyone give an example of theft or fraud when using a debit card to pay a bill from an established and recognised organisation online?

Companies are not allowed to store CVV numbers and you need that to finalise any transaction. An employee of a payee organisation using a customer’s debit card data fraudulently isn’t going to get very far.

Of general interest, maybe. The John Lewis card was a white label agreement e.g badged at John Lewis but actually funded by HSBC until late last year. It’s now a white label product of financial services company NewDay. Its major investors are Cinven and CVC Capital Partners.

Cinven own, amongst others, Spire healthcare (formerly BUPA Hospitals). In July 2021, Cinven was fined £43m by the UK Competition and Markets Authority for its part in a generic drug price fixing scandal, which had resulted in the National Health Service being overcharged hundreds of millions of pounds over several years. (Wiki)

Private equity group Cinven has been hit with a third fine linked to price gouging on drugs sold to the NHS. The Competition and Markets Authority today fined four drug companies a collective £35 million, with part of the fines passed on to the owners of one business.

uk.finance.yahoo.com/finance/news/private-equity-group-cinven-hit-131032784.html

CVC Capital Partners own, amongst others, Unilever tea brands e.g. Brooke Bond, PG Tips. It once owned The Formula One Group, companies responsible for the promotion of the FIA Formula One World Championship, and the exercising of the sport's commercial rights, a deal not without its controversies. Bob Fearley, British motorsport manager accused CVC of raping the sport:

www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/sep/10/cvc-ownership-f1-warning-premiership-rugby-union

In January 2015, CVC Capital Partners were sentenced to pay fines by the Dutch Authority for Consumers and Markets for breaking competition rules through price fixing.

You’d be hard pressed to find bankers and private equity firms which are squeaky clean (Bank of Dave anybody?) but I would be thinking very hard about having a John Lewis card with these two ethically unsound companies behind it.

toscalily Fri 17-Feb-23 12:10:17

I agree with argymargy. Be aware & careful but I think this over overcautious. Bank branches are few and far between and for many getting to those that remain is difficult, also, there are not many companies that use cheques now (or cash), most prefer other methods of payment. I have used online banking for many years out of necessity and have always found it quick and convenient. You could be on your way to your bank and have your bag snatched with all your money and credit/debit cards taken with all the ongoing consequences.

growstuff Fri 17-Feb-23 11:53:19

I'm confused!

MOnica Do you go into a bank to pay your credit card? If you don't, how do you manage to do it without being online?

PS. I pay off my credit card every month with my debit card, but it's all done online.

argymargy Fri 17-Feb-23 11:42:13

I think it's the "online banking is risky" is the bit that sounds paranoid to me. One can be careful and cautious and still bank online.

SparklyGrandma Fri 17-Feb-23 11:15:53

I use my debit card online for grocery deliveries etc. But I only move the amount to pay into the account with the debit card, as I’m going to pay it.

I liked to use cash in order to tightly budget when say going shopping for a particular clothes item. I will miss cash hugely as trying to use cards to budget a shopping trip will not work the same way for me.

M0nica Fri 17-Feb-23 11:08:28

If using a debit card to pay a credit card is not considered safe, why does the credit company ofer the facilty. The alternative isthat I have to take my bank account online. JL's new supplier does not accept cheques.

Whatever I do, use a debit card to pay my credit card bill or register for online banking to pay by bank transfer is equally risky. As with so much in life it is a question of chosing between two imperfect solutions. We do not keep large sums in our current accounts, so the risk there is limited.

Paying a credit card by direct debit means committing to pay in the wole card bill on the same day every month, but while I do clear my balance every month. I want the flexibility of paying,on a day that is convenient to me, which may not be the same day every month and be able to payless, should the need arrive.

Zoejory Fri 17-Feb-23 10:28:38

I understand, M0nica but using a debit card online isn't recommended.

All the money in our banks is now digitised . We're heading to no banks in High Streets and small towns and villages

Good luck in finding what you want 😀

Katie59 Fri 17-Feb-23 10:12:46

I have always paid off my Credit Card on the due date automatically from the bank account by direct debit. My Debit card I used for some other purchases both have advantages.

Lovetopaint037 Fri 17-Feb-23 10:12:11

I wouldn’t put my debit card on line. I only use credit cards to pay for items but I have a direct debit set up online to pay for purchases at a set time of the month. My dh has a card and I have one of his which is used for regular online shops. I pay this online when the statement arrives. Less use of debit card as poss.

Jaylou Fri 17-Feb-23 08:04:55

Don't think it is paranoid argymargy, it's careful and cautious.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Feb-23 08:00:02

You have credit cards at present MOnica, apart from the JL card. How do you pay them off?

argymargy Fri 17-Feb-23 07:42:16

All seems a bit paranoid to me.

M0nica Fri 17-Feb-23 07:20:13

Thank you Northface. You get my problem exactly.

We each only have one credit card for personal expenditure and a second one, for which we both have cards, for household spending. I have not made any applications for credit cards, apart from the recent enforced change with John Lewis. If we found a Visa card that could be paid for by debit card we would cancel the existing account.

So far we have avoided all online banking and there is no way, at present that we would consider having any kind of phone based banking system. Nor do we keep large sums of money in our current accounts.

It is just that the JLewis system is so quick and easy and I would like a Visa card that was equally quick & easy.

NorthFace Thu 16-Feb-23 23:00:16

I think I understand what you are asking.

The John Lewis credit card is a badged Mastercard that you can use anywhere which has rewards that you can use in JL stores.

You want to find a badged Visa credit card which offers the same facility to pay what is owing with a debit card which is not linked to an online banking account.

money.co.uk top ten credit cards for February 2023 are mostly Mastercards. Barclaycard Rewards is the only Visa I can see which offers ... rewards. Here’s the shortened link:

tinyurl.com/yckhjj94

The instructions (see image) for paying seem to suggest that you can pay with a debit card without using online banking:

www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/customer/managing-your-barclaycard-online/online-servicing#paybill

but would need to be confirmed.

As for paying a credit card debt online with a debit card, the only thing I would be wary of are keylogger viruses which track your keystrokes as you type. If you keep your antivirus software up to date, run regular virus checks, monitor your bank account regularly and don't keep more money in it than you can afford to lose if you were to be caught out, that's all you can do - other than paying another way which you have made clear you do not want to do.

My only other word of caution (if I am undertanding the question) would be about obtaining multiple credit cards as each additional card could knock back your credit score. This may seem unimportant if you do not intent to do any major borrowing but it can sometimes prevent a swap to better credit card deals.

I found that out to my cost some years ago after taking a Debenhams store card just to get a 10% discount on a major purchase. I intended to pay the bill in full and never use the card again, which is what did. A year or so later, when my bank alerted me to a credit card which offered better rewards than the one I had, I didn’t envisage any problems making the swap. However, when they did the obligatory credit check, I was refused. This was a shock as I always pay my credit card bill in full each month and have no other debt.

I took it up with Experian who said it was because I had obtained the store card. It simply looks to their system as though someone is acquiring the means to incur debt even if they are not doing so. They said I would had to wait five years, all other things remaining the same, before the dip in my credit rating bounced back again. After explaining the circumstances to my bank, I was able to swap to the better card. This was years ago. Hopefully, Experian and other credit rating systems are programmed more intelligently now but worth bearing in mind.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 16-Feb-23 22:29:25

I couldn’t agree more, Blinko. Any online use of a debit card is risky. It doesn’t have to be shopping.

HazelEyes Thu 16-Feb-23 22:10:39

M0nica

HazelEyes It has to do with how we run our family finances. We separate our individual Mastercard accounts for personal spending from the Visa card, which is for household expenditure and is paid from the household bank account.

Every family has its own way of running their finances in a clear and efficient way, and ours is to use seperate credit card systems for different expeniture.

Thanks M0nica, I was having trouble understanding! Something that may appeal to you is a Monzo account. This is administered via an app (not online). You can have it as a joint account if you like. It has great security features. Money in the account can be put into various secure pots you name the pots as you wish. Once the money is in one of the pots you can't spend that money, even if your account is hacked they can't get to the money in a pot. Move it back to the general account when you want to spend the money (via the app). The app is fingerprint protected. When you want to pay off one of your credit cards online you can use your Monzo card. First move the money from the pot. Once you have entered your card details online you are prompted to authorise the payment in the app, you then have to open the app with your fingerprint, then you have to enter your pin number. A number of people on here are saying you should never use a debit card online but you cannot pay a credit card off with another credit card.

Blinko Thu 16-Feb-23 19:14:00

M0nica

Zoejory as I have said several times, I only want to use it to pay a credit card. I do not otherwise use it for shopping online.

The joy of this way of payment for my credit card is that the account it comes from does not have to be registered for online banking, and that in itself, is a protection from fraud.

Even though you do not use online banking, using a debit card for any online transaction potentially leaves your bank account open to hackers. A debit card is a conduit to your bank account.

As others have said, I too would never use a debit card online.

M0nica Wed 15-Feb-23 22:39:15

Zoejory as I have said several times, I only want to use it to pay a credit card. I do not otherwise use it for shopping online.

The joy of this way of payment for my credit card is that the account it comes from does not have to be registered for online banking, and that in itself, is a protection from fraud.

Zoejory Wed 15-Feb-23 22:23:11

I'd never use my debit card online.