Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

1950s women "Fight Back Rally"

(216 Posts)
Hippie20 Tue 21-Feb-23 02:45:53

There is a rally on 8th March 2023 at Westminster to highlight the injustice of the raising of the pension age from 60 to 66 without adequate notice.
Ladies from all over the country are attending.

notgran Tue 21-Feb-23 07:55:37

There is a rally for something or other, every day outside Houses of Parliament. They NEVER make any difference. All they do is pi** of members of the public, usually working nearby. Hope it isn't at lunchtime.

Urmstongran Tue 21-Feb-23 08:07:26

Sorry but I think it’ll all be a waste of time and I say that as a WASPIE myself.

eazybee Tue 21-Feb-23 09:36:15

There was plenty of notification about the raising of the pension age for many years before it was implemented.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 21-Feb-23 09:38:46

Indeed there was eazybee but, as ever, some took no notice/never read a newspaper. A rally is pointless. Glad I no longer work in London to suffer the disruption.

tanith Tue 21-Feb-23 09:41:44

I do agree that I was also well aware the change was coming even though it didn’t affect me. I don’t think anything can change it now.

Forsythia Tue 21-Feb-23 09:42:41

It won’t make any difference. Having said that, it may make the government realise how many votes they will lose from women affected. Perhaps that might make them think again.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 21-Feb-23 09:47:39

The retirement age had to be raised given the increasing size of the ageing population and dwindling birth rate. I always thought it inequitable that a woman could retire at 60 but a man, with a shorter expected lifespan, had to wait until 65.

TillyTrotter Tue 21-Feb-23 09:55:29

Exactly what Urmston said.
I do not think anything will cause a U-turn and the raising of the State pension age is happening in France just now too.

Glorianny Tue 21-Feb-23 10:38:55

Even I (and I'm old enough to have got my pension at 60) know that this is not about the raising of the pension age, but about the amount of notice given and the inaccuracies in the notices sent out. Some women received two or three different dates for the age they would qualify for their pension. Mostly the corrections involved it being later, not earlier. It is damn difficult to manage when you expect your pension at one age, only to find you won't get it until 3 years later.

Millie22 Tue 21-Feb-23 11:12:40

Waste of time. Nothing is going to change unfortunately as some women are having to work until they are ill.

Manual work is really hard after 60.

Joseanne Tue 21-Feb-23 11:41:27

Let me think ..... join the Waspi rally (of which I am one) or celebrate my birthday?
It's also International Women's day on that date every year.
I realise I am lucky, I just do work if I want to,.

eazybee Tue 21-Feb-23 14:48:04

It is also damn difficult working full time until you are 65.

HousePlantQueen Tue 21-Feb-23 15:15:40

Well sorry, but I knew about it, was irritated, but dealt with it.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 21-Feb-23 15:36:42

Millie22

Waste of time. Nothing is going to change unfortunately as some women are having to work until they are ill.

Manual work is really hard after 60.

But that’s what men with manual jobs have always had to do. And before the old age pension was introduced men worked until they dropped or went into the workhouse. We talk about equality but are not happy to have that applied to pension ages.

CazzJazz Tue 21-Feb-23 15:51:57

I was informed by letter at the age of 60 that I would not receive my state pension until the age of 66 even though I had enough qualifying contributions. I therefore worked until I was 66 so I would receive the new state pension. I appreciate that not everyone can carry on working past 60. I am fortunate in having good health and had a job I absolutely loved. I am now 67 and thoroughly enjoying my retirement. I agree that sadly rallies won't change anything.

Visgir1 Tue 21-Feb-23 16:00:47

I knew as well.. I saw it change from 60. Then 63 then 66.. I was told each time. Didn't like it but I was told. Originally it should have been paid at same time as my NHS pension at 60.

Ilovecheese Tue 21-Feb-23 16:11:58

They didn't have women retire at 60 for womens benefit. It was because men generally married women a few years younger and it was thought that a retired man would need his wife at home to look after him

Norah Tue 21-Feb-23 16:14:49

Why wouldn't women want to be equal with men?

I quote: Through the National Insurance Act a State Pension for everybody was implemented on a contributory basis. Taking effect from 1948, men were eligible at 65, while women could receive it from 60.

Seems as if that was unfair, to me.

VioletSky Tue 21-Feb-23 16:16:35

I can't imagine how it must feel to have 6 years of work added when you were nearing retirement

Awful really

I thought it was 65 and a year seems a lot

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 21-Feb-23 16:35:42

Ilovecheese

They didn't have women retire at 60 for womens benefit. It was because men generally married women a few years younger and it was thought that a retired man would need his wife at home to look after him

And your evidence for that is ..?

Glorianny Tue 21-Feb-23 16:44:53

Some women report that they were never told. Some women were told when they were 59 that the age would be 66. As far as equality goes all men were informed that their pension age would increase by 1 year. to 66 so where's the equality there?
www.waspi.co.uk/background-information/

notgran Tue 21-Feb-23 16:45:47

Norah

Why wouldn't women want to be equal with men?

I quote: Through the National Insurance Act a State Pension for everybody was implemented on a contributory basis. Taking effect from 1948, men were eligible at 65, while women could receive it from 60.

Seems as if that was unfair, to me.

Exactly. I detest all this stuff where women are trying to turn the clock back to the time when there was no equalty. Who these women who are protesting, think they are kidding, gets me. State Pension age was changed decades ago, by law. I can't believe they didn't know. It all smacks of people thinking they will get some sort of compensation if they say they didn't know. Who would be paying for this compensation? Our children and their children, which can't be right.

VioletSky Tue 21-Feb-23 16:49:29

So the pension age was 65 for quite some time?

That's what I always thought but assumed a more recent change

Glorianny Tue 21-Feb-23 16:52:43

No one is seeking to turn the clock back. Waspis are seeking equal treatment. Women the same age have been given their pension at different times. Some women had two "hits" receiving one date when pensions were first changed then another in 2011.
Please read the Waspi link. There is no indication that equality isn't welcomed.