Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

(15 Posts)
Secondwind Mon 27-Feb-23 13:48:38

The wonderful Martin Lewis has done his utmost to raise awareness for those between the ages of 45-70 about the possible benefits of buying voluntary NI contributions to boost your State Pension.
Is anyone else having problems trying to get personal information from HMRC to actually do this? I need a specific reference number that doesn’t appear on any documentation or old payslip. Are they deliberately trying to make the process as difficult as possible?!
The number on the letter from the DWP directs you, after an interminable wait to speak to someone, to the HMRC. The HMRC number cuts calls off after telling you to visit the GOV website - been there, done that, no good - with no option to (try to) speak to anyone.
It’s going to have to be a cheque in the post unfortunately, which is the last thing I want to do in case it gets lost in their system. I’d far rather do it online, but I don’t have this darn reference number! Is there a tearing-my-hair-out emoji…

NotSpaghetti Mon 27-Feb-23 13:56:10

My daughter called for an "18 digit ref. number" which she apparently needed. She was told they didn't know anything about such a thing. 🙄

NotSpaghetti Mon 27-Feb-23 13:57:44

Secondwind - have you tried the "future pensions" number? They were helpful before Christmas when I called them.

NorthFace Mon 27-Feb-23 15:19:09

Write to:

HMRC,
National Insurance Contributions and Employer's Office,
BX9 1AN

Set out what is is you want to do. Remember to give your NINO. They will send you a schedule setting out how much you need to pay to buy back each year (£824.20) and all the payment details you need including a special 18 digit reference number which you must use when you make your payment.

I wrote in autumn last year, had a reply a week later and paid straight away by online bank transfer. I received the enhanced pension a month later backdated to when I made the payment.

Secondwind Mon 27-Feb-23 15:55:04

Thank you very much for your responses, Ladies.
I have all the paperwork with the years I am able to buy back and the amount I owe. I just want to pay now. I’m sure that they must be inundated with queries at the moment!
I first heard about this a few years ago and wish I’d been in a position to buy the contributions then, as it was about £200 less than it is now, for some reason. It’s just the reference number needed to pay online that I don’t have. I’ll just have to pay by cheque, post it asking for a signature and keep my fingers crossed!

fancythat Mon 27-Feb-23 16:08:12

Not sure if I can help but I will try.
I had to ring HMRC about NI contributions last week. Probably a different department to what you need.
I waited 1 hour and 9 minutes before someone answered.
When he did, he was most helpful. etc ect
Long story short, I got a letter this morning from HMRC apologising for them not having sorted out my problem earlier!

My points really are
1. I wouldnt be at all surprised if you have to be on hold on the telephone for a long time. I rang mid morning if that is at all relevant to anyone.

2. I presume you are ringing the right phone number in the first place? And are trying to get through to the right department?

3. My money did not get lost in the system. I did send it online, but it didnt show up on my payment contributions. Even though I sent it many months ago. The man said "the money was there but it had not been allocated".

Hope some/any of that is of some help.

YorkLady Mon 27-Feb-23 18:57:26

I did this last week. HMRC wouldn’t give me the 18 digit reference number until DWP confirmed that payments for missing years would increase my pension payment.
Took over an hour for phone to be answered but finally got through. Made the payment online, but it still isn’t showing on my records.
The deadline for making these payments is April 5th so the lines are super busy. Keep trying!!!

Secondwind Wed 01-Mar-23 19:48:37

Thank you fancythat and YorkLady.
I’ve just been reading responses to a Martin Lewis enquiry on Twitter about this. It seems that the majority of people are having problems of one sort or another, so I’m not alone!

Mountain Wed 01-Mar-23 19:53:15

Have you tried resetting your password.
I did this and it gave me my 16 digit number immediately.

Ellylanes1 Thu 02-Mar-23 21:58:39

It's a nightmare getting through to future pensions, yesterday afternoon I eventually got into the phone queue about 4.15 ish, my call was answered around 6.10pm by a lovely lady who answered my questions and yes I needed to top up one year.
She tried to pass me through to get the reference number to pay the shortfall. By this time 6pm had passed and the office dealing with these references numbers had closed. This call had been an 0800 freephone number.
I was advised to call this morning to ask for said reference number and given the number to call, beginning with 0300.
I called at 8am and held in another queue for over an hour. This call was not free, and I could kick myself for not realising, as it has cost me probably thirty pounds for the call.
If the first call had been answered in a reasonable time I wouldn't have been charged at all. I understand there is a high volume of calls at the moment, but the powers that be were aware of the situation and should have been better prepared.
Especially in these difficult times, people cannot afford to waste money in a queue for hours.

fancythat Fri 03-Mar-23 07:21:39

Unfortunately I need to ring them back again.
Originally, I wasnt told the correct information I dont think.

Rang earlier mid morning yeterday. After 1 hour and 11 minutes, I was told there were a high volume of calls, and I was cut off!

fancythat Fri 03-Mar-23 07:23:58

Just to add though, I maybe get put through to a different department as I am not a usual sort of NI contributions Class.

fancythat Mon 06-Mar-23 08:39:33

I have needed the Future Pension Team. Different telephone number.
I have been cut off 6 times in 3 days including this morning.

CassieJ Mon 06-Mar-23 09:53:11

I have tried multiple times over the past couple of weeks to get through to Future Pensions and it's a nightmare. I have been cut off, or it will just hang up. Still not managed to speak to anyone.
I may now wait until April to try again as by then, hopefully it will be easier to get through to them.

fancythat Mon 06-Mar-23 10:27:09

I am thinking to leave it too.
It is annoying as it now appears I was told the wrong information/amount in the first place. So I need to double check.

I am on another social forum and it appears we are far from alone.