Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

DWP Proposing To Scrutinize Bank Accounts?

(235 Posts)
Margs Sat 02-Dec-23 09:55:56

The Daily Record and Liverpool Echo, amongst other sources, very recently noted that the DWP will attempt to obtain powers to delve into the bank accounts of UC claimants, on the premise of cracking down on benefit fraud.
And now, as rumours would have it, State Pension recipients may come under the same regime of scrutiny.
Why?
The State Pension is so far below the average weekly wage that it's almost an insult. Certainly for women.
And I can just about imagine the DWP mandating that the supermarkets hand over data on a customers spending whenever they use a loyalty card.......just to make sure that we're not fecklessly "living it up" on too generous pensions.
Ha!

Callistemon21 Tue 09-Jan-24 14:54:27

Oh, it's your turn today, Germanshepherdsmum!!

I sent another poster a tube of arnica cream after her bruising.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 09-Jan-24 14:59:38

Yes, my turn for a tongue lashing today.

M0nica Tue 09-Jan-24 17:44:59

Doodledog I have looked back, nothing in my post links it to any of your posts. I do not mention your name and everything I refer to has come up in several other people's posts.

More generally the government, in the form of HMRC, and DWP, to name but two, already have such extensive access to our affairs, if not directly, through all those bodies paying money into them, that the new regulations make very little difference. Were anyone be subject to a forensic interest in their affairs, what other reason can there be than crime, espionage or terrorism?

Doodledog Tue 09-Jan-24 18:39:33

M0nica I have no desire to make this molehill into a mountain grin.

Nevertheless, as I said, my point is not that there is a reason now for me to be concerned (apart from a desire for privacy), but that we don't know what might happen in the future.

DaisyAnneReturns Tue 09-Jan-24 19:07:50

M0nica

flip = short form of flippant. It was a flippant para.

Thank you M0nica. That makes sense.

DaisyAnneReturns Tue 09-Jan-24 19:39:35

Doing a quick search simply to confirm to myself that this really is how you discuss and debate, that I was not mistaken, is hardly stalking Germanshepherdsmum.

I still think that saying anyone is paranoid is a step too far.

DaisyAnneReturns Tue 09-Jan-24 19:44:05

M0nica

Doodledog I have looked back, nothing in my post links it to any of your posts. I do not mention your name and everything I refer to has come up in several other people's posts.

More generally the government, in the form of HMRC, and DWP, to name but two, already have such extensive access to our affairs, if not directly, through all those bodies paying money into them, that the new regulations make very little difference. Were anyone be subject to a forensic interest in their affairs, what other reason can there be than crime, espionage or terrorism?

The issue lies with a new law M0nica. If it changes nothing, why do you think they passed it?

M0nica Tue 09-Jan-24 19:58:06

Because they can and they are paranoid that the poor are always trying to screw the benefits system, while failing to notice that ll their rich cronies are doing it all the time for much greater amounts.

DaisyAnneReturns Tue 09-Jan-24 22:50:54

I certainly haven't seen a better answer M0nica.