Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

House insurance increase

(25 Posts)
dalrymple23 Fri 14-Aug-26 14:48:17

When I moved here in 2024, I did a small amount of shopping around and Saga came up with the lowest premium for combined buildings and contents. I must reassess it shortly but there have been difficulties due to language barriers.

They used to have a very good customer service office in either Dover or Folkestone - now it is on the other side of the world. I was unable to make the call handler comprehend what I was asking. It is so frustrating. For this reason alone, I will have to find another insurer.

Also, scarily, there was a newspaper article a few days ago (DT) where the Fire Brigade said that solar installations were a fire risk. What? The implications are horrendous. It is something to do with correct wiring, apparently. Guidelines have changed within the past ten years. How will that affect insurance?

Dylis Fri 14-Aug-26 12:39:54

I wonder if the hot weather will be used as an excuse/reason to raise renewal rates.

Tenko Fri 14-Aug-26 12:34:07

I always shop around and use one of the comparison websites. If you’ve got automatic renewal , phone the company to put a stop on it .

fancythat Fri 14-Aug-26 12:28:02

AI Overview The average cost of combined buildings and contents home insurance in the UK ranges from about £19 to £33 per month (£225 to £384 per year), depending on the provider data and policy tier.

Sounds about right to me.

You could be paying way too much.

David49 Fri 14-Aug-26 09:41:00

I'd be interested the actual cost of house insurance, mine is about £700 modern 4 bed bungalow as extra we have unlimited travel insurance + £800

seasider Fri 14-Aug-26 06:34:19

@Kaitcop don’t forget to use your rewards from CTM . We regularly use the 2 for 1 cinema tickets.

Georgesgran Thu 13-Aug-26 23:36:28

butterandjam. Earlier up thread the OP says she’s been online, used The Meerkats and saved £500.

MT62 Thu 13-Aug-26 23:27:08

MT62

Saved £159 on my holiday insurance, by using Martin Lewis website. plus I’ve covered my back & neck! Which wasn’t covered on the more expensive insurance.

Funny thing they asked had I seen a Gp in the last five years for a back, or neck problems
Isn’t itusually 12 months.
Well I know I’ve seen an osteopath but can’t remember ever visiting the Gp regarding either.
I should check that 🤔

MT62 Thu 13-Aug-26 23:20:42

Saved £159 on my holiday insurance, by using Martin Lewis website. plus I’ve covered my back & neck! Which wasn’t covered on the more expensive insurance.

butterandjam Thu 13-Aug-26 22:17:34

Kaitop

I’ve had a renewal notice from Admiral for house insurance that’s increased by £250 !
We haven’t claimed on it this year. Is this normal or should we go through the agony of shopping around?

what "agony"? Use a comparison site; it's simple and fast.

dalrymple23 Thu 07-May-26 14:12:13

For contents insurance, I was with Norwich Union (now Aviva) for years and years. Their premium was getting ridiculously high. I started using a broker who saved me about £400 a year. The insurance company? Aviva! What goes on there?

I was renewing my car insurance with Hastings Direct and, whilst we were on the phone, the premium was dropping in £50 increments until it reached £150. I grabbed it there and then! The how, whys and wherefores, I have no idea!

It is probably just me, but I HATE shopping around with a vengeance! Either pure idleness or the utter boredom with the whole palaver!!

Grantanow Thu 07-May-26 09:41:07

Shop around. I saved by doing so.

Doodledog Mon 04-May-26 19:02:14

I was with Admiral for a while, and whilst they started as much more competitive than my previous insurer (Halifax) they ended up being ridiculously expensive.

I switched, and got a much better deal, and have since switched again. Just beware of doing so too close to the end of the contract, as my last lot tried to charge me a fee for 'early withdrawal' when in fact I didn't renew. I got it waived, but it took determination.

M0nica Mon 04-May-26 18:58:21

Once you have been with a company a couple of years they reckon you are a soft touch and boost your premium. Ring them and they reduce it.

As far as I sm concrened, the first offer should also be their last offer. If they lower it , it shows that they took me for a fool when they sent the inflated figure, and that is not acceptable.

Grannynannywanny Mon 04-May-26 18:25:39

Well done!

MT62 Mon 04-May-26 18:20:41

Oh excellent 👏👏👏👏

Kaitop Mon 04-May-26 18:15:02

I used compare the market and the winner was intelligent insurance

Kaitop Mon 04-May-26 18:11:55

I have just saved myself £500!!!! Unbelievable!

Grannynannywanny Mon 04-May-26 17:24:05

I always shop around. I use conparethemarket.com. It’s quick and easy to use. I’ve renewed with PolicyExpert again this year as I’ve found them the most competitive.

Kaitop Mon 04-May-26 17:12:39

Thanks for your comments. I’ll definitely check out the competition.

Georgesgran Sun 03-May-26 17:44:13

Definitely shop around. It’s only a few minutes to input the details with the big comparison websites.

In March, I ditched Halifax after 2 years, as they couldn’t compete with other providers. They did offer a reduced premium, but that came with reduced cover, which I didn’t want to accept.

Mollygo Sun 03-May-26 17:34:11

Contact them first. Our insurance quote came in at less than we paid this year. Usually they offer a saving of at least £20-£50.
If that fails, then I shop around.

MT62 Sun 03-May-26 17:31:28

I’ve just saved £105 on my car insurance by shopping around.

MT62 Sun 03-May-26 17:30:30

Shop around for sure

Kaitop Sun 03-May-26 17:22:58

I’ve had a renewal notice from Admiral for house insurance that’s increased by £250 !
We haven’t claimed on it this year. Is this normal or should we go through the agony of shopping around?