Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Where are the best discounts for over 60s?

(41 Posts)
SarahGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 08-Aug-19 11:40:52

Hi all,

We want to make sure we're giving you the best money-saving tips possible so we're currently updating this page.

We know you're a savvy bunch when it comes to shopping and nabbing great deals so we'd love to know if you're aware of any retailers, services or organisations that offer good discounts for over 60s (or any other age)?

We're looking for things along the lines of 10% off, 2-for-1, etc., rather than repurpose-your-old-bra-as-a-sieve type hacks. grin

Thanks as always flowers

PamelaJ1 Tue 13-Aug-19 07:01:43

Not strictly a discount for the over sixties but it saved me quite a lot. I travelled by train from Baldock to London yesterday using my senior rail card £13.25,
My GS cost me £2. He travelled free on the tube and bus.
We went to London Zoo with our Tesco Vouchers.

We took a picnic but I bought him an ice cream. There were water coolers to fill up his bottle.
A very cheap day out.
There a so many cheap/free places to take your grandchildren to all over the country.

glammanana Tue 13-Aug-19 13:09:02

There are so many cheap days out for the little ones in Liverpool,the muesums for instance are amazing and even if you went on a regulsr basis you would find something interesting every time.A walk around the Albert Dock will amaze the youngsters and take up most of the day.
When out and about seniors can get up to 20% on restaurant meals or child eats free well worth looking at.

hakimono Wed 14-Aug-19 06:40:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

chelseababy Wed 14-Aug-19 08:09:46

National Trust for Scotland gives over 60s discount automatic ally and without the 5 (?) years previous membership required by English NT. You don't have to live in Scotland.

shabby Wed 14-Aug-19 14:47:37

Not particularly age related but always worth checking if you get a discount for recommending a business to family/friends. My local optician runs such a scheme and so do a number of on-line companies

Nandalot Wed 14-Aug-19 15:13:13

If you are registered deaf or wear hearing aids you can get a third off rail travel for you and a companion.
www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/live-well/benefits-and-grants/discounted-travel/

Grammaretto Thu 15-Aug-19 19:37:25

Not something you'd want to qualify for but you can get a blue badge for parking your car fast tracked if you have terminal cancer.

Nonnie Fri 16-Aug-19 13:18:40

Thanks nandalot I didn't know that, will look at the link.

If it is unfair for the older people to get discounts is it unfair for students or those who work as teachers or in the NHS? I don't know why companies shouldn't choose who they give discounts to.

Floradora9 Fri 16-Aug-19 15:51:42

If you join Silversurfers online , it costs nothing , they offer discounts on lots of things .

glammanana Sat 17-Aug-19 13:40:07

Never be afraid to ask for a discount on any large household items or white goods,specially near the end of the month when shops are looking to make their end of month targets.
I saved £60 on a fridge/freezer just by asking if this was the best price they had at the moment.

Daisymae Sat 17-Aug-19 16:20:11

Not just for the over 60s but I have a cash back credit card which has saved hundreds. Of course you need to pay back in full every month to get anything back. I do pay an annual fee but it's worth it!

Ionia Mon 19-Aug-19 21:21:11

I am in my late fifties and do travel up and down the country. I found out last year that I could apply for a disabled person's rail card because I had hearing aids. It did cost £20 per year, but I get a third off fares using it. I've saved a fortune this year using it.

Daisymae Wed 21-Aug-19 07:46:29

Wyevale garden club cards give a small discount on all purchases for the over 60s.

crystaltipps Thu 22-Aug-19 05:22:02

10% off gardening stuff at B and Q if you’ve got one of their cards but it’s only on a Wednesday

ruffa Wed 04-Sep-19 08:35:44

you got an interesting topic guys. learned a lot