Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Where are the best discounts for over 60s?

(40 Posts)
SarahGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 08-Aug-19 11:40:52

Hi all,

We want to make sure we're giving you the best money-saving tips possible so we're currently updating this page.

We know you're a savvy bunch when it comes to shopping and nabbing great deals so we'd love to know if you're aware of any retailers, services or organisations that offer good discounts for over 60s (or any other age)?

We're looking for things along the lines of 10% off, 2-for-1, etc., rather than repurpose-your-old-bra-as-a-sieve type hacks. grin

Thanks as always flowers

midgey Thu 08-Aug-19 12:02:05

You can triple the value of Tesco vouchers if you choose experiences or venues. Well worth checking out. I used £14 worth of vouchers to buy OAP yearly ticket for Trentham Gardens, I did have to put 50p towards the cost.....but the ticket also allows 10% in many of the shops and the garden centre. Soon paid for itself! grin

SarahGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 08-Aug-19 12:19:58

That's a good tip. We do know about Tesco Boost but hadn't considered that they can be used to buy OAP tickets - top tip, thank you! smile

Tangerine Thu 08-Aug-19 15:35:35

National Express

British Rail

Nonnie Thu 08-Aug-19 15:42:05

Do you have to pay for a card to get those discounts Tangerine?

When we lived in a small town 2 local chemists gave discount but I am not aware of any chains which do.

Specsavers give 25% off for over 60s but you cannot combine it with their other offers like 2 for 1.

A few theatres give discounts but, again, I think it is local.

Just checked English Heritage and they have a 'concession' price but I couldn't see what that applied to.

wildswan16 Thu 08-Aug-19 15:56:32

Always check whether your airline gives over 65 discounts. I discovered I could have got 10% off my long haul flights with Qatar airways after I got back!

Tangerine Thu 08-Aug-19 16:05:03

Nonnie - yes, you do have to pay for a card to get those discounts.

I admit that, if you only use a train or coach once a year, the cost of the card might not be helpful.

However, I use both regularly.

midgey Thu 08-Aug-19 16:49:28

But you can use Tesco vouchers to buy the rail card!
No I don’t work for Tesco.grin

Greenfinch Thu 08-Aug-19 16:59:48

Some hairdressers give a midweek discount for the over 60's

Pittcity Thu 08-Aug-19 21:09:53

Odeon Silver Screen for over 55s, around £3.50 for a film with tea/coffee and biscuits. Other cinemas have similar schemes.

janeainsworth Fri 09-Aug-19 10:08:59

I don’t agree with the principle of age-related discounts.
A subsidy for one group means higher prices for another.
I’d rather have fair prices for everyone.

SarahGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 09-Aug-19 10:11:49

Morning,

Thanks for your comments. We've got some of those travel ones on the page already but we didn't know about Qatar Airways - a handy one to add to the list. And yes, lots of local places do give great discounts too, proving that it always pays to ask!

Keep 'em coming. brew

Nana3 Fri 09-Aug-19 11:31:03

If you are with a grandchild with additional needs and visiting a place of interest, you pay for the grandchild but you will go in free as her/his carer. This is for most places but not everywhere. I don't always use this facility as giving explanations in front of my grandchild is sometimes not a good situation for us to be in.

Scribbles Fri 09-Aug-19 11:48:54

I entirely agree with janea and would go so far as to say I find the whole concept of charging less for those over a particular age patronising and offensive.

PamelaJ1 Fri 09-Aug-19 11:59:47

Well I don’t feel patronised or offended.

JulieMM Fri 09-Aug-19 12:37:27

When you’re on a (very) limited income these discounts and deals can open up opportunities that mean the difference between loneliness and some kind of life.

janeainsworth Fri 09-Aug-19 12:45:11

Thank you Scribbles

Julie your comment applies to all age groups, not just old people.
I’ve been struck recently how expensive it is to take children to many places of interest. Many children from less well-off backgrounds are being denied educational and even inspirational experiences.
Personally I think they’re more, not less, important than old people.

Riverwalk Fri 09-Aug-19 12:54:19

I don't think it's patronising or unfair, merely a marketing tool to increase custom and make use of quiet times, etc.

I've just had a look at the Odeon nearest me and the cheapo for oldies is only at 11.00 - I don't think many younger people would want to go at that time, even with tea and biscuits thrown in!

janeainsworth Fri 09-Aug-19 13:39:45

Riverwalk It's different if pricing is structured according to how well-used a time-slot is, as opposed to which age-group is utilising the time-slot.
If your local Odeon can afford to allow old people through its doors at 11.00am at a lower price, why can't it afford to do the same for younger people who, for whatever reason, might not be at work at 11 o'clock in the morning?
We really can't have it both ways.
We can't expect to be treated without discrimination because of our age, and at the same time expect discounts and preferential treatment irrespective of our income status and purely on the grounds of having reached a certain age.

Nannytopsy Fri 09-Aug-19 17:10:03

Extra Boots points if you have an advantage card. I think it is 10 per £1 spent.

Nonnie Fri 09-Aug-19 17:23:18

If we take a child over the age of 5 on the bus we only have to pay £1 for them if we have a senior bus pass. I think that also applies for those with other forms of passes too.

M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 17:48:39

A three year Railcard is much cheaper than an annual Railcard.

Grannyknot Fri 09-Aug-19 18:38:16

Nonnie that's useful to know, I often take my 5 year old grandson on the bus - win-win.

Nonnie Sat 10-Aug-19 10:26:32

Grannyk it might just be in our area, not sure it applies everywhere.

BlueBelle Sun 11-Aug-19 15:07:23

For anyone who is doing voluntary work did you realise there is a charity workers discount also for NHS past or present workers I ll have to look for the links

www.charityworkerdiscounts.com/