Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Council tax rates.

(9 Posts)
Usedtobeblonde Sat 03-Oct-26 16:45:40

I have just read on Google news that the Borough of
Hammersmith and Fulham may have a massive rise in their council tax bills for the next financial year.
I checked the rates just for curiosity and couldn’t believe the rates for most London boroughs.
The figures shown quote Band D for comparison, some are as low as £1050 annually , I don’t think many reached £2000.
I am rated Band E , I live in a large village/small town in a not highly rated part of the N of England and while a lot of regeneration is planned it is a long time in the planning.
I pay £3200 a year.
Is it time for a reappraisal of the system which currently is
based on house prices?

Usedtobeblonde Sat 03-Oct-26 17:01:45

I should add the house prices were as at mid 1970’s valuations.

Fallingstar Sat 03-Oct-26 17:05:45

We live in a band C terraced house in London and pay £1,564 a year.

InnocentBystander Sat 03-Oct-26 17:13:07

It doesn't matter when the houses were valued, it's just to place a house in a band. The values change constantly but usually proportionately over a district. If your house was valued at twice that of one elsewhere in your district many years ago the chances are the other house and yours are still at 2:1 ratio unless you or they have extended.
Under the old rates system your house had a rateable value which served the same purpose, but it could have been only £100 but the other house in our discussion would have been £50. The way the rate was arrived at was to multiply your rateable value by a pence in the pound constant. It was usually as much as £20 in the £ making yours £2,000 p.a. for example.

yanda Sat 03-Oct-26 17:13:19

I live in a band C semi in a top ten deprived area and pay £2300.

tanith Sat 03-Oct-26 17:16:58

I moved out of London to a market town in Bedfordshire and pay quite a lot more than I was in London it is a bigger house but even so I'm in the country now I dont understand it.

David49 Sat 03-Oct-26 17:21:53

London rates are very low in relation to value residents say it’s to make up for high cost of living
Others say GLC is awash with money from congestion charges

OldFrill Sat 03-Oct-26 17:35:30

This explains why council tax differs so much in different London boroughs.

London Council Tax Rates 2025/26 — All 33 Boroughs | Council Tax Checker share.google/FtVDNd0NwzAOqyVNY

David49 Sat 03-Oct-26 17:50:01

My band D is £600 more than Richmond and they have far more wealth than us it’s a rip off