Gransnet forums

Local

Places to visit in Essex: competition

(77 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 03-May-17 17:31:39

Forget heading to the airport - some of the most beautiful sights in the world are right in our own back garden. And by back garden, we do indeed mean Britain...Essex being a prime example!

Take a look at our guide to things to see and do in the historic county of Essex and comment on this thread, letting us know where you'd visit first for a chance to win one of the two books pictured here. Will it be one for you or one for the grandchildren?!

Leave your answer by midday on 18 May and we'll announce the winner shortly after. Good luck!

wallers5 Fri 05-May-17 16:18:39

Colchester Castle with the Grandkids. They love Castles & this one looks stunning.

nancytownsend Sat 06-May-17 00:53:27

We love Mersea Island. It's a great place to take the kids and the dogs. They've got excellent fish and chips as well. That's where we'd head to first.

jeapurs54 Sat 06-May-17 10:39:08

I live quite close to Colchester Castle but feel that I would prefer to visit Audley End House as it looks very historic and interesting and I feel that it would be so useful to tour round somewhere so vast with extravagance and enjoy the pleasure of something that is quite close but never think of a visit.

GeminiJen Sat 06-May-17 11:36:21

Mersea Island would be my first choice too. I've never been there but, from the description, all four grandchildren would be in their element. Sun, sea and sand, what's not to love!
That + fish and chips = Perfection grin

kaydeed Sat 06-May-17 13:01:46

I would take my grandchildren to Marsh Farm. I've bee before and it is a real fun day out for the children to see all the animals.

Teddy8 Sat 06-May-17 17:02:47

I would go to Audley End House as i have read a lot about it but never actually visited. I do love visiting houses and gardens especially if they have nice tea and cake for a pit stop.

Venus Sat 06-May-17 17:14:01

I'm an Essex gal so it would be wonderful to win this guide book. It has to be Dedham Vale and into Constable country to see exactly where this great artist painted. It would be a great thrill, apart from the fact that it's a very pretty area to visit.

mbody Sun 07-May-17 11:18:49

I used to live in Billericay which was one of the friendliest places I have ever lived. Southend would be the place to visit for fun and games on the sand and fish and chips when the sun goes down.

dragonfly63 Mon 08-May-17 13:44:34

I would love to visit Audley End house, particularly the Victorian service wing and see the servants going about their business as they would have done 150years ago.

Breeze81 Tue 09-May-17 08:59:27

I'd love to go to The Roman Circus Museum. I didn't even know it existed. How exciting!

cookiemonster66 Tue 09-May-17 10:57:48

Mountfitchet Castle sounds good as hubby and I like to visit castles.

philatel Tue 09-May-17 11:13:07

Audley End House. When a teenager, I used to stay with friends who lived in a house on a farm in Saffron Walden and we used to roller skate on a nearby airport. Charming little village it was then - haven't been back recently to see if it has changed.

Candelle Tue 09-May-17 12:48:28

The mysterious Essex coast is surely a winner. We loved our time some years ago, pottering around the inlets and touring beautiful villages, admiring the clapboard cottages.

The children can run riot and almost become little feral creatures as all forms of computers and iPads are forgotten in the sheer joy of playing on the beaches and sea.

hellcat Tue 09-May-17 21:41:23

We have already visited many of these, but I have always fancied a visit to The Secret Nuclear Bunker, so this would be my first choice.

creativz Thu 11-May-17 10:49:55

Dedham Vale sounds lovely, great for walking the dog, followed by a pub lunch and a slow boat down the river Stour, bliss !

Lottie2tiger Thu 11-May-17 11:26:11

Audley end house and gardens. I love gardens and I'm sure the train ride will be a big hit with the little ones smile

gran1 Thu 11-May-17 13:37:30

Colchester castle just can't be beaten for a day out.

lindipops Thu 11-May-17 14:02:18

Audley End House and gardens as there is something for everybody and I know the children will totally love the horses and the little train ride.

Dannydog1 Thu 11-May-17 16:25:13

Definitely Marsh Farm with my grandchild Lucy. Her parents are both vets and she seems to have been born with a love of animals.

willow5 Thu 11-May-17 20:13:57

I would visit Audley End House, I have not been since I was a child, but recently saw a program about it which made me realise I would like to revisit it

JudeMD Fri 12-May-17 08:38:48

I would love to visit Colchester Castle. Castles are a family must see and this looks great for a visit with the grandchildren. Our grandson is actually studying castles this term.

lindarumsey Fri 12-May-17 10:20:01

Audley End House is a favourite of mine!

moxeyns Fri 12-May-17 10:20:02

Wow, I've never even heard of Mountfitchet Castle, and I'm a mediaeval addict!

greenfinger5 Fri 12-May-17 10:20:32

We love Marsh Farm, the kiddies like the open running about spaces and the animals they can get up close to and interact with, super day out.