Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Derbyshire/Notts

(24 Posts)
DorothyGherkins Sun 29-Dec-13 16:34:32

Any of you lovely ladies available for the occasional walk, coffee and cake etc, between Derby and Nottingham? I find myself in a new area with lots of lovely walks and no one to go with. I like to walk a maximum of five or six miles, love the countryside and wildlife and I am a member of the RSPB. If you are not a car owner, quite happy to pick you up and drive. I work full time, but could meet up for lunch occasionally in the week, and am free at weekends. It would be lovely to meet up with one of you, or even a small group to emjoy the great outdoors. Anybody with the same New Year's Resolution as me, to make new friends and get out more?

kittylester Sun 29-Dec-13 19:49:05

Hi Dorothy - are you new? If so welcome. There are one or two people on here who live in you sort of area. We are thinking of organising a get together early in 2014 - it would be great if you could join us. sunshine

I live in North Leicestershire but I grew up near Derby and DD1 lives in Derby. Where are you?

DorothyGherkins Sun 29-Dec-13 21:53:43

Hi Kitty I m newish, I keep forgetting I m old enough to be on Gransnet, so you wont have seen very much of me. But it seemed a good place to try and make some friends, saying as I have moved for work. I am not far from the Amber Valley region. Are there any details of a meet up yet, or are they still in the pipeline - very willing to meet others!

Tegan Sun 29-Dec-13 22:00:13

Have you been to Attenborough Nature reserve, Dorothy? I did a u3a walk there recently, although I didn't do the complete walk as I have painful feet at the moment. There are also several places like Elvaston Castle and Calke Abbey to walk round. Even though we're quite central we struggle with numbers in our area. How about pm'ing me or kitty with more details about where you live and we can work out a 'cunning plan' of some kind.

DorothyGherkins Sun 29-Dec-13 22:24:10

Hello to you Tegan. I ve seen Attenborough Reserve and Elvaston Castle and Calke Abbey on the map and thought they looked good places to visit, and will have a look in the coming few months. Funny you should mention u3a, have come directly here from their website! Yes, will pm you both!!.

Tegan Sun 29-Dec-13 22:31:49

I've got to be honest and say that, although I've joined u3a I haven't really taken part in anything other than the one walk. The one I joined was Long Eaton and they have a meeting once a month at a leisure centre. I'd like to join the Derby one but it's more difficult to get to. I'm also quite lazy and [to be honest] enjoy chatting to and meeting up with gransnetters blush.

Maggaloopy Sun 12-Jan-14 15:07:17

Hi everyone. I have just joined this chat room and am finding my way around. There is a lot to look at. I am trying to find people to walk with. Ramblers are too energetic for me and they walk too fast. I prefer more of a long stroll. I live in the Amber Valley area of Derbyshire. At the moment I work full time but do have Saturdays and Sundays free. Is there anyone who would like to go for walks in this area?

Tegan Sun 12-Jan-14 15:21:24

I've got a sore foot at the moment so I'm not walking as much as I'd like but when the weather gets a bit better we'd like to start doing more walks north of Derby. Neither of us are any good at map reading so it would be nice to have someone who knows the area to stop us getting lost! I tried to do a walk with u3a a few weeks ago and had to give up part way through, which was frustrating given that I used to spend Sundays walking in the peak District. I'd like to get to know places like Belper a bit more as well [nearly lived there once].

DorothyGherkins Tue 14-Jan-14 23:00:44

Hi Maggaloopy Just seen your post. You sound like the walking partner I ve been looking for! I m working full time too, and have Saturdays and Sundays free. This is a new area for me, so all walks here are a new adventure. Message me if you would like to meet up some time! Hope to hear from you!

DorothyGherkins Fri 31-Jan-14 13:21:52

Sigh! Does nobody do walking round these parts? Not even when there s tea amd cake at the end?

Tegan Fri 31-Jan-14 13:49:14

Errrr; I did offer confused

DorothyGherkins Fri 31-Jan-14 14:07:41

Ready when you are Tegan , just give me the nod!

Tegan Fri 31-Jan-14 14:52:16

This weathers got to get better! But once it does I'll come up with some ideas.

DorothyGherkins Fri 31-Jan-14 15:27:28

Fab! -Looking forward to it!

trendygran Fri 31-Jan-14 21:21:16

I live in Nottingham and would be interested in another meet up somewhere fairly local, maybe when Spring is a bit nearer! Will be keen to hear of any suggestions .

Tegan Fri 31-Jan-14 22:13:38

That would be great, trendygran; as soon as it stops raining we'll get sorted smile.

kittylester Sat 01-Feb-14 08:18:50

I'm up for another meet-up! grin

Tegan Sun 02-Feb-14 02:48:12

Nottingham wise I can get as far as Beeston before traffic and the tram works start to stress me out.And I do the school run on Thursdays and Fridays.

kittylester Sun 02-Feb-14 11:03:55

Don't know much about Nottingham [apart from the middle - shops, theatres etc] but I have a satnav! grin

Maggaloopy Mon 17-Feb-14 10:09:43

Been a long time since I was here.. sorry to not get back to you Dorothy. Definately up for a walk at the weekends.. send me a pm and we will discuss... the weather has just not been good for it. I like to get out in the countryside a bit, if you know the area that would be good. I am not a local person. I like the area around Farnah Green and such like.. let me know what you think.

revitt Wed 10-Feb-16 12:27:45

yes please. I am looking for a companion to spend a little time with during the week. I am married and tend to save my weekends for family stuff. WEE moved here about 10 years ago, but now that I am retired, I want to link up with other like minded people. I would love to find a /some friends locally to me (Belper), for short walks, shopping, coffee etc. I have an assistance dog as I have a bit of arthritis, and a new ankle, hence the slower shorter walks. But I do like to get out and about for walks of about a mile or so, on level ground.
Is there anyone out there free and willing during the week during daytime at all? All responses will be acknowledged.

Teetime Wed 10-Feb-16 17:21:53

I'm in Melton Mowbray and can travel to Nottingham and Derby - include me please. smile

revitt Wed 17-Feb-16 15:28:12

Hi Teetime. Sorry for the late response. Have just returned from visiting my daughter. I am just afraid that I will slow you down..you sound very fit and active?
Looking at the responses, it seems that several people like the sound of meeting up and doing whatever. I am happy to join a group like that. But I did go on to the forum to find someone with whom I could generally get together to get out a bit.
Both ideas sound great to me. Is there anyone in Belper maybe who fancies dog walking in a slow way so to speak?
To Teetime, I would like to say, yes please to you too. No idea though how to progress from here. Is there a separate email bit where we can chat?
Cheers
Jenny

Teetime Wed 17-Feb-16 15:32:51

Yes revitt you can talk to anyone via private message (PM) click on that persons name and then use the message tab at the top. Dont be misled I'm not fit and active I use an electric golf trolley and a walking pole for walking but have to have gaps and cant go up steep hills - very arthritic. I have days when I cant move at all much. Anyway I enjoy a good stroll/meaner looking at the scenery and chatting. Cant do that with DH he thinks we are on a route march. smile