Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Is anyone normal?

(73 Posts)
geminites Tue 16-Jun-15 20:09:59

OK the London Borough is a huge borough and plenty of diversity... so why isnt there anyone on the local site. I guess being "Bromley" all the oldies are married upper class Conservatives?????? Well are they?

rosesarered Mon 22-Jun-15 11:25:03

Back to politics are we?

annodomini Sun 21-Jun-15 22:13:06

Totalitarianism is the kind of government you have described, absent and it includes governments of both right and left persuasions.

absent Sun 21-Jun-15 21:14:28

Fascist may be used inaccurately to describe right-wing views in a derogatory way but is not necessarily a pejorative term. Fascism is simply a type of extremely authoritative right-wing government, although probably not one of which most Gransnetters approve. cf communist.

Ana Sun 21-Jun-15 20:55:09

Conservative supporters are fascists? hmm First I've heard of it!

As far as 'lefties' is concerned, I prefer to use the term 'left-leaners' but in my previous post was following on from feetlebaum's comment.

FlicketyB Sun 21-Jun-15 20:51:15

They are usually called fascists, which is pejorative.

absent Sun 21-Jun-15 07:22:19

I don't think "lefty" is so much abusive as disparaging and dismissive. How come people who support the Conservatives (or even further right-wing politics) are never called righties?

Rowantree Sun 21-Jun-15 02:49:31

Well said, durhamjen - and I note that the word 'lefty' is used almost as a term of abuse, much in the same way as 'do-gooder' is.

durhamjen Fri 19-Jun-15 17:54:11

No. That's why "most of us" was in " ".

Ana Fri 19-Jun-15 17:45:37

Are you saying you're not a 'lefty', durhamjen? confused

durhamjen Fri 19-Jun-15 17:42:34

Someone else who thinks he speaks for "most of us".

Ana Fri 19-Jun-15 17:16:53

grin

feetlebaum Fri 19-Jun-15 17:15:27

Where would lefties be without 'class'? They are the only people who bang on about something that is of little or no interest to most of us.

rosesarered Fri 19-Jun-15 16:40:37

The OP seems to have done a runner.grin

rosesarered Fri 19-Jun-15 16:39:55

Most people are normal, at least enough to fit in and live , work, and enjoy themselves.What we have to realise though,is that others don't think in the exact way that we ourselves do.

rosesarered Fri 19-Jun-15 16:36:52

Ana, know what you mean, 'I'm mad, me!' As a comment from anyone who I have only just met ( at a club I joined) I feel straight off that I wish I hadn't joined, and at the very least not sat next to them!

FlicketyB Fri 19-Jun-15 10:37:31

Ana, you have put your finger on the nub. I would go so far as to say that most of us like to think that we are not like everybody else and not absolutely normal, but a little different.

However. fighting that tendency in myself, I have to admit that Rowantree's post reflected my childhood, except that in my case, while I would quite like to have been normal, I never could pretend, so I decided when I was quite young to be myself and take the flak. There were always one or two other mavericks around, and my closest childhood friend remains a close friend. We were both described as being 'deeply subversive' and we haven't changed much.

Rowantree Fri 19-Jun-15 10:15:54

I never sought not to be 'normal'. As a child and a teen, all I wanted was to be like everyone else and to fit in, but I just didn't, however hard I tried. At that time it feels you have no place, no niche. That feeling stayed with me for decades, on and off, but these days I don't care that much and I just want to feel OK in my own skin. That's one thing I've tried to teach our children (not totally successfully though, due to extreme circumstances).

But 'wacky'? Nah. Though I am drawn to eccentric people smile

Falconbird Fri 19-Jun-15 08:07:11

When I was in my early twenties someone said I was the most normal person they had ever met - didn't know what to make of that - not sure I liked it. confused

vampirequeen Fri 19-Jun-15 07:51:57

I don't try to be abnormal. I just am.

But then aren't we all unique in which case there can be no such thing as normal.

Ana Thu 18-Jun-15 23:14:27

Some people would just hate to be considered 'normal' though, wouldn't they?

Thinking of those awful 'I'm so wacky, me' types you meet sometimes - who aren't really! grin

Rowantree Thu 18-Jun-15 23:04:31

What is this thread actually about, anyway? Normality, or voting tendency?

For the record, despite my previous flippant comment, I'm proud not to be normal. I've always been a bit of a weirdo and a misfit. I live on the borders of Bromley borough, but I'd describe myself as more green rinse than blue. Or perhaps red rinse. Or half and half.grin

Ana Thu 18-Jun-15 21:10:57

Hmm...not sure about that roses! Since when do politicians of any party freely admit it when they've made a mistake, unless forced to do so because they've been found out...? hmm

rosesarered Thu 18-Jun-15 21:06:14

Why FlicketyB, you should have been a politician!For any political party I may add.

FlicketyB Thu 18-Jun-15 21:02:30

People who do not admit they make mistakes are only too numerous, does that make them normal?

Personally, I find admitting freely when I have made a mistake and immediately rectifying it so takes people by surprise that they will accept almost anything from me after that

Rowantree Thu 18-Jun-15 18:51:24

My last name is Normal, and my first is Abby. wink