Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Glasgow Grannies!

(34 Posts)
OBEWAN Fri 31-Aug-18 23:28:43

Anyone want to meet up for cake and coffee in Glasgow? I look after my granddaughter a couple of days each week and it would be great to meet others in the same position. Bring your babies and toddlers too! Love my granddaughter to bits but without adult conversation my brain will eventually drip out through my ears...

Marydoll Fri 31-Aug-18 23:46:22

Oh yes I'm up for that!
Never seen you before, so welcome.
Jangran is also another Glasgow granny.
Do you not fancy the Edinburgh lunch on the 28th September. Jangran, Baggs and I go to that. We just go through on the train.

absent Sat 01-Sep-18 06:42:32

I miss the Scottish grannies – didn't we have fun – and wish I could join you.

Baggs Sat 01-Sep-18 09:10:04

I'm up for a Glasgow Grannies meetup, obewan. Does anyone fancy the fabulous Korean icecream place on the Dumbarton Road between Partick Station and Kelvingrove? I took my grandsons there.

Baggs Sat 01-Sep-18 09:11:18

Bing Soul it's called.

OBEWAN Sat 01-Sep-18 09:37:24

Hello all! Sorry I can’t make the 28 September but am certainly up for ice cream in Dumbarton Road! Any suggestions for a date/time?

Baggs Sat 01-Sep-18 09:42:46

Any time or day during week beginning monday 10 September would suit me, obe. We'll have just seen Minibaggs (youngest daughter) off to uni that weekend so I'll be celebrating/empty-nesting, or something. Ice-cream is the cure anyhow.

There's always Patisserie Valerie near Central Station if Bring Soul doesn't suit everyone.

Baggs Sat 01-Sep-18 09:43:31

Bing! not bring ?

Marydoll Sat 01-Sep-18 10:27:22

There are also nice places in Princes Square for cake, coffee and people watching. However, the ice cream also sounds good.
Tuesday is the day I know I will be definitely not be childminding, but as long as I have notice I can make plans.
I'm not back from Rome until the 12th September and childminding on 14th.

Baggs Sat 01-Sep-18 12:09:24

Okay, we better wait till your back from Rome, of only so you can tell us about it over ice-cream or cake, mdoll.

How does the following week, beginning Monday 17th suit people?

Baggs Sat 01-Sep-18 12:09:49

SCREAM!

I mean you're, of course!

Baggs Sat 01-Sep-18 12:10:07

Shows how easy it is. Ugh.

Marydoll Sat 01-Sep-18 12:55:23

There must be other Glasgow Grannies, who are lurking.

Marydoll Sun 02-Sep-18 08:16:35

I'm bumping this thread. We can't be the only grannies in Glasgow. confused

Esspee Sun 02-Sep-18 08:34:47

Lurking in Ibiza here. Don't have my calendar with me so unsure if I am free but if I am I would be happy to pop in to wherever you decide on.
Marydoll, why don't you ladies bus it to Edinburgh? Or are you all too young for a bus pass? smile

Marydoll Sun 02-Sep-18 09:40:22

I do have a bus pass, but I struggle with the walk from Central station to Buchanan Street Bus station.
I can get off one train and straight onto the other. I sit with a Krispy Crème choc doughnut, a drink and the Metro crossword. Bliss.
The others pick up the train on the Edinburgh line, so no buses.
It would be lovely to meet you.
Enjoy the sunshine.

Esspee Sun 02-Sep-18 10:44:35

Thank you Marydoll, always knew you were a weegie from your name!
Incidentally you can go out of Central onto Hope Street and catch any bus going to Buchanan Bus station if you want to use your bus pass. You an tell I have always been thrifty, can't you?smile

Marydoll Sun 02-Sep-18 12:22:55

I know, I'm expert at getting round Glesca! I often take the Subway from St Enoch to Cowcaddens if I'm going to Sauchiehall St. That hill is a killer for me.
I just love train journeys.

Craicon Sun 02-Sep-18 12:37:20

Hello Glesga gals. My DH is from Springburn originally and I loved visiting my MIL when she was alive (lived in a retirement complex in Maryhill).
Sadly no rellies still living in Glasgow but we’re planning to have a family visit some day to show the kids/grandkids around. Definitely prefer shopping and visiting Glasgow over Edinburgh.

Marydoll Sun 02-Sep-18 14:10:59

Hi Craicon, your username sounds Scottish.smile

OBEWAN Mon 03-Sep-18 23:24:37

Hello All, week beginning 17 September doesn’t work for me - sorry ?. And Marydoll is so right! Where are the Glasgow Grannies? GGs are an institution! Maybe they’re just too busy grannying?

Marydoll Tue 04-Sep-18 08:20:34

It would be great if more grannies came forward. There must be grannies in Renfrewshire, Dumbartonshire, Lanarkshire, East Renfrewshire etc.
Perhaps they are just shy. confused
The first time I went to the Edinburgh lunch, I was so nervous, but everyone was so welcoming.

Jangran99 Tue 04-Sep-18 09:29:39

Glesca Grannies sounds good but this one is escaping the GC by having a quiet 2 weeks in Lanzarote,returning just in time for the Edinburgh meet. Yaaayy!!
I will come any other time but sans GC!! My experience says that when we have the weans with us the conversation is all about them!
(That sounds as though I don't like the youngsters and nothing could be further from the truth, but I crave adult time too!)

Marydoll Tue 04-Sep-18 10:21:05

Jan, I wondered where you were lurking.grin
I too, would rather be "sans weans". Our is too demanding!
I'm off to Rome on Friday, so excited, even although I've been lots of times before.

Enjoy Lanzarote and I will meet you in Edinburgh, usual place!

OBEWAN Tue 04-Sep-18 23:16:03

Oh well ? The demise of the GGs... I’m off for a very large gin! Enjoy Edinburra ?