Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

North London and Peripherals - Trying again!

(122 Posts)
SusiQ Thu 24-Jan-19 09:50:08

Hi all

I put in a post recently re anyone in Enfield interested in meeting up. Unfortunately I got no responses from anyone in my area which was disappointing. I did however get 2 invitations from members in Greater London which was really kind and I’ll definitely take them up on this and join them. I also got some lovely messages from Grans in other areas.

I’m just being proactive and trying again for my area. London is a huge place and there must be many members of Grandnet living in north London who may want to join a Meet-up for this area and nearby peripherals for coffee and chat. Come on Grans, let’s get started!!

Marydoll Thu 24-Jan-19 10:44:43

SusiQ, keep trying! We kept trying to set up a Glasgow meet, with no success. We are now having one in a few weeks!
Good luck!

cangran Thu 24-Jan-19 11:17:37

Sorry SusiQ - I missed your first post (don't always check GN forums). I live in Palmers Green and would be happy to meet up somewhere locally for coffee (I don't drive so somewhere central - Enfield town? - would be good). Thur/Fri usually my best days.

SusiQ Thu 24-Jan-19 12:25:24

Marydoll, it’s amazing that somewhere the size of Glasgow took a while to get going. Glad it’s sorted now. Good luck.

SusiQ Thu 24-Jan-19 12:30:12

Hi Cangran

Great to hear from you and to get a response to someone re north London at last.

I live in Winchmore Hill, just down the road from you of course! Very happy to meet up. Shall we give it a few days to see if any more responses? The more the merrier!

cangran Thu 24-Jan-19 14:18:34

Sounds a good plan! I expect, as many members probably aren't very actively participating on the Gransnet forum, or are even lurkers like me (mostly!), it may take a few posts to reach them.

Lillie Thu 24-Jan-19 14:32:06

Winchmore Hill! I went to school there many many years ago. Was Head Girl! Might be interested in a meet up.

SusiQ Thu 24-Jan-19 15:37:43

Hi Lille

You’d be more than welcome. As I said the more the merrier. Just keep an eye for any more posts.

Which school did you go to. Was it Winchmore?

Sunlover Thu 24-Jan-19 17:07:45

I was born in Palmers Green. Went to Edmonton County School. My dad taught at Latymer. Lived there till I went off to uni. Happy days.

SusiQ Fri 25-Jan-19 09:54:29

Hi Sunlover

I’m very familiar with all those places. I taught at Winchmore School for many years.

Do you live anywhere in north London now?

Lillie Fri 25-Jan-19 10:19:57

Yes, Susi, Winchmore School.
If nothing else it taught me a lot about life and I even got into a posh university despite the odds!

Ph1lomena Fri 25-Jan-19 10:39:00

Hello ... I'm just outside the Enfield boundaries now and grew up in Palmers Green and Winchmore Hill and would be interested in joining you ... if you don't mind having someone who's not an actual Grandma joining you!

loopyloo Fri 25-Jan-19 10:52:21

SusiQ, are you out of hospital now and feeling better? Hope you are able to arrange a Meetup.

Sunlover Fri 25-Jan-19 12:25:42

I now live in Hertfordshire. Been here a couple of years and before that lived in Harrow for 40 years. Love living where we are now.

zena123 Fri 25-Jan-19 17:47:43

SusiQ: I've only just seen your message. I live in Barnet and would be interested in joining a meet-up. I moved here about 10 years ago and am still discovering new things about the area.

SusiQ Fri 25-Jan-19 20:58:10

Wow, looks we’re starting to get somewhere after poor start for N London. Great!

Sunlover - many parts of Herts not too far away. Perhaps you can join us when something is arranged?

Lillie - wow, small world. I taught at Winchmore for many years. At the time you were there you probably did best the odds to get to a posh uni. Well done you. Different now. So much more opportunity. I retired from there in 2009.

Philomena - great to hear from you. Absolutely no prob about coming along whether a gran or not. No discrimination tolerated!

Loopyloo - really kind of you to ask about my ongoing hospital saga. Got out of hospital last Sun after 6 day stay and still in pain despite 2 more injections in back. Trying desperately to stay positive till I see consultant again at end February. Situation definitely not right. They’re hoping all will calm down with time. Watch this space!

Zena - great that you’re keen to join us and really glad that you got in touch.

Everyone- I suspect it may be difficult to get a day/date to suit all. Probably best to start with which days suit you all and see if we can get a common denominator. Please do stay keen and let me know.

Thanks everyone. Look forward to hearing from you.

Sunlover Sat 26-Jan-19 09:42:37

Yes could possibly join you for a get together.

SusiQ Sun 27-Jan-19 16:54:16

Great Sunlover that you’re willing to make the effort.

Well, to all you lovely ladies who fancy meeting up, before looking at a date (which I’d like to do sooner than later) I have been thinking of where we could meet that people can park easily. So, can I ask if all of you could get to Morrisons’s in Palmers Green? It’s right opposite Palmers Green Rail station and buses from Enfied, Turnpike Lane and Southgate are very near by. You can park in Morrisons free for up to 2 hours. Literally, round the corner in Palmers Green there are several coffee shops.

Since you’re all coming from different directions its going to be difficult to make it easy for everyone, but I think this location is a good one.

Please let me know and hopefully we can get going.

Anyone else out there fancy joining us???

Nannynoodles Mon 28-Jan-19 23:12:17

Hi, 1st time poster here so hoping I have it right!
I live near Enfield Town and would certainly be interested in meeting up with you all sometime.
Only trouble is I still work part time and only really have Thursday or Friday afternoon free - plus we are going on holiday for 3 weeks from Wednesday, after that though count me in if I can make it!!
I realise you will never get a day/place/time to suit everyone though but well done for trying!

SusiQ Tue 29-Jan-19 10:38:08

Hi Nannynoodles.

Great that you can join us. Do keep looking at the posts and you will see when/if we meet. Have a fab holiday.

It seems to have gone very quiet in the last couple of days after my post about a meeting place! Come on north London and peripheral grans. What’s happened to all that enthusiasm?!

Nannynoodles Tue 29-Jan-19 11:30:20

Thanks SusiQ!
I understand why you suggested Morrison’s in Palmers Green but it’s probably not the most enticing venue.
How about Pearson’s in Enfield Town?
Or if no one has has transport/mobility issues there’s Forty Hall Tearooms or the Baskervilles Tea Shop in Aldermans Hill has been recommended to me (not been there myself though) if you want to keep it in Palmers Green.

Ph1lomena Tue 29-Jan-19 16:51:38

Hi SusiQ and all - I could easily get to Palmers Green Morrisons. I think you were suggesting Morrisons as a meeting point and that we could then move on to one of the local coffee shops? Equally, I can also get to Enfield or Forty Hall. Hopefully, there will be some more responses soon.

cangran Tue 29-Jan-19 19:17:56

Small world! Lots of nice cafes in Palmers Green close to Morrisons - I like MyTime and Le Grand Jour on Green Lanes (Stage is good but a bit small), Baskervilles or Starfish on Aldermans Hill or, closer to Winchmore Hill (Sainsburys car park?) there is Chi Chi. Or Malones in Enfield Town. It's beginning to sound like I spend a lot of time in cafes! I'm fine with whatever is easiest for everyone. My best days are usually Thursday or Friday.

SusiQ Wed 30-Jan-19 11:20:57

Hi all

Good to hear from you again.

Sorry, my fault, but just to clarify, I wasnt suggesting for a minute that we meet for coffee at Morrison’s in Palmers Green! Simply that it is a good place to park for 2 hours. Once you confirm that this is ok, I will chose one of the many little cafes literally within very short distance from Morrison’s for us to meet and then give you the details. Enfield is very difficult to park without incurring parking charges and I would like to avoid that.

So, as a starting point, can I suggest Friday, 15th February at 10.30 am? Hopefully this will be ok for Cangran and Philanena. Nannynoodles will be away for a few weeks. Zena and Lille? Look forward to hearing your responses.

Ph1lomena Wed 30-Jan-19 17:35:36

Friday 15th Feb is fine for me - thanks for organising SusiQ.