Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Any other gransnetters in Sydney??

(26 Posts)
ScotinOz Thu 21-Feb-19 09:30:31

Was just wondering if there was anyone else here in Sydney?
I live in the western suburbs ?

EllanVannin Thu 21-Feb-19 09:35:55

ScotinOz, my daughter's in the Northern suburbs not far from Manly.

PamelaJ1 Thu 21-Feb-19 09:40:11

Lots of us with children there.
Mine lives in a in a southern suburb.

ScotinOz Thu 21-Feb-19 09:59:35

EllanVannin, I love going to Manly. It is a day out for us. We take the train to Circular Quay, then the ferry across to Manly ?

ScotinOz Thu 21-Feb-19 10:02:08

PamelaJ1, yes I left my family in Glasgow 28 years ago. Still get homesick. Love coming home fod a visit ?

ScotinOz Thu 21-Feb-19 10:03:01

fod?? for a visit

PamelaJ1 Thu 21-Feb-19 13:53:06

My DD used to run the Aqarium in Manly. It’s closed now.
When they were setting up the shark diving she got bitten by a ?.

Marmight Thu 21-Feb-19 15:46:19

I'm in North Curl Curl 2 miles N of Manly until next week. I visit DD & her family every year for a couple of months. Lots of Scots around here ...they have a Burns Night at the Surf Club!
Next time!

EllanVannin Thu 21-Feb-19 16:46:18

I know Curl Curl beach, daughter isn't far from there at Allambie heights. Yes I know that area GS is in a flat in Dee Why.

I remember Manly aquarium and visited a few times in the past,80's and 90's. There used to be a great antique shop in Manly where I bought a kookaburra shaped milkjug for 35aud----still have it.

ScotinOz Thu 21-Feb-19 22:09:56

Marmight, how have you coped with the heat?
Maybe we can meet up the next time you're in Sydney?

PamelaJ1, I've never been to the aquarium....I didn't even know it had closed!!

Marmight Thu 21-Feb-19 22:55:12

Up to this week its been pretty hot. I cope with it by doing nothing and one day it was just too hot for the beach. It must be worse for you out West. At least we have the sea breezes. I'll let you know when I"m out next and we can arrange a meeting maybe at the Boat House at Shelly Beach which is just round from Manly or in the City. ??

stella1949 Fri 22-Feb-19 01:41:02

I'm from Manly too . Still miss it - I live in Brisbane now. Next weekend I'm driving down to visit my DD and family, they live at Pymble .

PamelaJ1 I lived in the block of flats just above the Manly Aquarium. Small world !

hondagirl Fri 22-Feb-19 05:11:40

I live near Brisbane, but originally from the UK. I am surprised to find people from Oz on this site. I thought I was the only one. Just watching the goings on of a cyclone at the moment, hoping it stays offshore!

ScotinOz Fri 22-Feb-19 06:44:29

Marmight sounds like a plan?

stella1949, safe trip down. I've heard of Pymble as one of the trains that passes thru Blacktown/Seven Hills stations goes to Hornsby via Pymble.

hondagirl, hope that the cyclone passes without coming ashore....it's really a watch and wait! I notice from another post that you are thinking/wanting to go home to the UK. I have the same feelings, but when I go back I have a great time, but am always happy to return here! Can't seem to make up my mind, but my children and DGC are all here...

farview Sat 23-Feb-19 16:09:36

hondagirl my son and family live in Pottsville and have been worrying about them re the cyclone!!!

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Feb-19 17:05:29

Oh, cyclone? Where is it?
I frequently check BOM, am off to do so now.
The weather has been very strange in Australia just lately, we get updates from relatives. This was posted by one on FB, all the photos had been taken on the same day apparently:

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Feb-19 17:11:45

Stella, did you swim with the sharks?
I never did and could have done it free.
We went up to Brisbane the visit before last to get on a boat to go to PNG. I’d been before when I was 13 and cuddled a koala.
The fake beach by the river is fabulous.

Pittcity Sat 23-Feb-19 20:41:09

We're sailing out of Sydney today. We've been staying on the Harbour for 3 days and the weather has been warm and wet. We've managed to walk miles in this lovely friendly city and really enjoyed it.

Pittcity Sat 23-Feb-19 20:45:07

A friend of mine in Queensland sent me this...

Marmight Sat 23-Feb-19 21:05:22

We've been battening down the hatches for the past 4 or 5 days and gone from so hot at night to pulling up the doona! Obviously on the far receiving end of the northerly cyclone. I shall wave to you Pittcity from The Heads as you sail away ?

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Feb-19 22:45:30

www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Feb-19 22:47:46

sorry, posted too soon:

At 2pm AEST Saturday, ex-tropical cyclone Oma was situated over the southern Coral Sea, approximately 800 kilometres east of Brisbane. Earlier this morning, the system transitioned into a sub-tropical low and as a result, it was declassified as a tropical cyclone.

The system is forecast to track back towards the north across the Coral Sea over the next few days. At this stage, the system has a low chance of redeveloping into a tropical cyclone in the Eastern Region, but the system will be carefully monitored.

A Severe Weather Warning is current for high tides, damaging winds and dangerous surf. A Hazardous Surf Warning is also current. Please refer to the latest Severe Weather Warnings for Queensland and New South Wales: www.bom.gov.au/australia/warnings/index.shtml.

There are no other significant tropical lows in the region, and none are expected to develop during the next three days.

Bigred18 Sat 23-Feb-19 23:16:18

Yes, I'm in Sydney too - in Lindfield. I'm still a Pom at heart, and have really suffered in the heat although put a blanket on the bed last night.

hondagirl Sat 23-Feb-19 23:58:06

Yes, weird weather in Oz at the moment. Thank goodness the cyclone has been 'denamed' but is still lurking off the coast as a low weather system, so hope it stays away.
ScotinOz have you thought of starting a coffee meetup group for other expat ladies of our age? I have joined a group of mainly UK 'babyboomer' ladies who meet regularly for coffee or outings. Many of us came over on a parent visa so have a lot in common,

stella1949 Sun 24-Feb-19 05:57:26

I'm also still a "Pom at heart " , despite coming to Oz when I was 8. My childhood was in Plymouth, but Dad was transferred from the British Navy to the Australian . Dad fell in love with the place, and so we stayed. I've been back to the UK several times, but Oz is home now.