Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

V&A Dundee, Wednesday 1st May

(67 Posts)
Elegran Wed 06-Mar-19 11:45:09

Marmight is revisitng old haunts about that time, and has suggested to me a visit to the V&A. She only has two free days, and I can't make it on the other, so it seems it will be Wednesday May 1st.

Anyone else interested? Any advice from those who have been there on best time to arrive, what to see, where to eat, etc?

SueDonim Wed 06-Mar-19 13:20:13

I was at the V&A Dundee last week. It's slap-bang opposite the railway station, a two minute walk away! It's a lovely building and entry is free. There's a restaurant upstairs and a cafe downstairs. The food is good, although not the cheapest, and staff are lovely. Plenty of loos available as well.

We were there at lunchtime at half term. It was busy but not overly so and we didn't have to queue for anything.

There's also RRS Discovery next door, if you fancy clambering round an old ship, and they have an interesting museum. The town is between five and ten minutes walk away if you want more restaurants and shops.

Brunette10 Wed 06-Mar-19 13:21:37

I would love to have joined you, however it’s my DGS1 3rd birthday so won’t be able to join in your fun. Have a great time though. Very interesting venue.

Katek Wed 06-Mar-19 13:41:05

Ooh I can probably make this! Put my name on the list please Elegran.

mcem Wed 06-Mar-19 13:59:11

Not sure if I can make that date but thought you'd like to know I had a lovely visit a few weeks ago with GC.
They loved the building and want to return in Easter holidays.

Jane10 Wed 06-Mar-19 14:18:27

Can't make that date but will be in Dundee at the end of May. We've visited the V&A. Loved the Liners exhibition but it's now over. Not sure what the new one is. Might be worth your while paying to see the new exhibition. There are a lot more rooms on the paid for bit. Only 2 in the free bit. The exhibits in those rooms are interesting but extremely crowded in. If you're interested in the new paid for exhibition it's worth doing. I think it was £8 each for us pensioners.
There's an open cafe downstairs. Nice food but rather an uncomfortable cafeteria sort of thing. A good restaurant upstairs. Probably worth booking a table as it's popular and can be full up at lunchtime.
Anyway, have a great time and hi to Marmight!

Elegran Wed 06-Mar-19 14:45:33

Lots of info from posters there. Thanks, all of you.

Katek Your name is on the list!

Marelli Wed 06-Mar-19 18:46:44

Can you add Ina and me, too, please, Elegran?

Elegran Wed 06-Mar-19 19:09:54

Have done so, Marelli.
That is now 5
Marmight
Elegran
Katek
Marelli
Ina

Elegran Wed 06-Mar-19 19:10:36

What time do you think we should meet in Dundee, and where?

mumofmadboys Wed 06-Mar-19 22:30:42

I visited the V and A yesterday. Have a great time!

cascats Thu 07-Mar-19 00:50:13

Can you add me on as well please. grin

Marmight Thu 07-Mar-19 05:27:13

Oooh exciting! Thanks Elegran. Looking forward to catching up with everyone. Sorry you can't make it Jane.
I'll get the train from Aberdour to Kirkcaldy and maybe meet up with Marelli & Ina there? There's a 10.39 arriving in Dundee at 11.24. Assume it originates in Edinburgh so perhaps Elegran and anyone else from Ed could get it and wave out of the window at Kirkcaldy ?
(Just a suggestion....) The restaurant sounds good too.
Hope the list grows!

Marelli Thu 07-Mar-19 06:35:21

Great idea Marmight. ?

Marydoll Thu 07-Mar-19 07:46:28

I would love to come, but just a little too far for me.

Enjoy!

Marelli Thu 07-Mar-19 08:23:54

Cascats, you could maybe get on the train at Kirkcaldy with Ina and me?

Elegran Thu 07-Mar-19 09:54:30

It sounds as though the train will be as much fun as the V&A!

Thanks, Marmight for that info. I'll book a on that train and look out for you all at Kirkcaldy.

Meet the rest of you at 11.30ish at the V&A, including Cascats , but no Marydoll that trip.

Marelli Thu 07-Mar-19 10:08:55

Marmight, is that the time of the train from Aberdour or Kirkcaldy?

Marmight Thu 07-Mar-19 10:18:51

Kirkcaldy. I have to get off the one from Aberdour.

annodomini Thu 07-Mar-19 10:41:59

I need to visit my sister in Dundee soon and am not sure if I can put it off till the beginning of May, but if I am, I will definitely see you all then.

Elegran Thu 07-Mar-19 10:45:42

That would be good, Anno.

Marelli Thu 07-Mar-19 13:59:16

Thanks, Marmight
It would be lovely if you could come too, anno. ?

cascats Thu 07-Mar-19 20:30:09

Sounds like a great idea Marelli, but will most likely get it from Markinch ( if it stops there ), as closer to home. grin. Let me know what train you are planning nearer the time and will check it out.

Elegran Thu 14-Mar-19 20:19:15

OK, I have my ticket for the train arriving at Dundee at 11.24. I'll see some of you at Kirkcaldy and the rest at Dundee.

I am getting the 16.50 back.

There will be Marmight, Katek, Marelli, Ina, Cascats, Me and possibly Anno.

Marelli Thu 14-Mar-19 20:30:51

Cascats, (sorry, I’ve just seen your post) - hopefully the 10.39 leaving Kirkcaldy will stop at Markinch? We’ll check nearer the day.
Elegran, will you be bringing our usual crate of brown ale? ?