Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Anyone in Cambridgeshire?

(27 Posts)
Eartha Tue 14-Jan-20 13:21:24

I have been a member of GN for quite a few years and check in nearly every day, but don't usually post. As far as I am aware, there haven't been any meet ups in the Cambridge area. I would be happy to correspond and hopefully meet up with other grans in the area. I live near Huntingdon, but would be willing to travel to other parts of Cambridgeshire.

JackyB Tue 14-Jan-20 16:43:02

There have been several meetups - as far as I know, the last one was in Cambridge. I went to one in Fen Ditton.

I don't live there, I live abroad, but when I do come to the UK, I am in Cambridgeshire. Hitherto near Newmarket but now my mother has died, I shall be staying with my sister nearer Ely.

Here is the conversation organising the last meetup (last September)

www.gransnet.com/forums/meet_ups_where_are_you/1265541-Cambridge-area-September-meet-up-Thursday-12-September

Nannytopsy Tue 14-Jan-20 17:44:15

We could go for somewhere between Cambridge and Burt St Edmunds?

NonnaW Wed 15-Jan-20 13:25:25

I also now live near Huntingdon so would be happy to have a meet up.

Grannyjay Wed 15-Jan-20 13:45:55

I also live in Huntingdon and willing to meet up

merlotgran Wed 15-Jan-20 13:51:17

I live near Ely but can do Newmarket easily. I couldn't make the Fen Ditton meets at the time but probably could now - DH's outpatient appointments permitting.

Nannytopsy Wed 15-Jan-20 14:18:33

I will stop posting on my Bury St Edmunds thread and join you in Newmarket!

Nannytopsy Wed 15-Jan-20 14:19:05

Or Huntingdon

Eartha Thu 16-Jan-20 10:42:14

Good to see there are a few of us. Now need to find a suitable venue and date. I am pretty flexible apart from school pick up Tuesday and Wednesday. Any ideas?

PamelaJ1 Thu 16-Jan-20 12:21:08

I’d love to come but am away for a couple of months.
Have a good time.
The Bedford lodge is very nice,

Eartha Thu 16-Jan-20 14:58:10

Thank you PamelaJ1 I haven't been to the Bedford Lodge myself, but understand it's very nice... and has a lovely spa!

Eartha Fri 24-Jan-20 17:50:59

As a few Cambridgeshire grans live in or near Huntingdon, we have arranged a meet up on Thursday 6th February, 11 am at Frost's garden centre in Brampton. Anyone else like to join us?

jacalpad Mon 03-Feb-20 08:09:18

Only just seen this. I am in Cambridge and have met several times with other Grans at Fen Ditton and John Lewis. I would like to join you on Thursday if I can. My daughter has a broken foot, so I may need to help her, but she hasn’t mentioned anything for Thursday morning so far!!!

jacalpad Fri 07-Feb-20 07:26:06

Lovely to meet you all yesterday, thank you. I had a lovely time.

My journey home was much worse than my journey there! I followed the satnav and signs, which led me to a roundabout near the Hinchinbrooke Business Park - but the exit for Cambridge was closed. I followed a diversion, which fizzled out, and ended up going back through Brampton to Huntingdon. I ended up at Hinchingbrooke Hospital and had to turn back. I went past Aldi, Lidl and Dunelm (all in Huntingdon) and at a roundabout. Can you believe it - it was the same roundabout near Hinchingbrooke Business Park, and the exit I needed was of course closed!!

I carried on back towards Brampton and beyond and eventually stumbled upon a major roundabout with an exit for Cambridge! I went on a brand new part of the A14. The poor satnav was very confused and thought I was in green fields.

Anyway, somewhat later, and with a lot of extra miles travelled, I eventually made it back!

Anyway, thank you for your company. I bought some lovely cards in the garden centre before I left.

Grannyjay Fri 07-Feb-20 07:33:31

Oh dear jacalpad how awful for you! I’m glad you eventually got home safely. It was very enjoyable and looking forward to our next meet. By then I hope the Satnavs have suitably caught up with the new roads in question. See you in March!

Eartha Fri 07-Feb-20 12:35:03

Oh no jacalpad sorry to hear that. It will be a relief when all the roadworks are finished! Looking forward to next meet up in March.

NonnaW Fri 07-Feb-20 12:47:55

Poor you Jacalpad, it’s a nightmare when you end up going round in circles. Hope you weren’t too late getting back for your daughter’s appointment. So nice to meet everyone and look8ng forward to next months meet-up.

GrannyHaggis Mon 24-Feb-20 12:21:14

Just our of curiosity, is there a meeting planned for March? If so, when and where please... and may I join you if I can make it?

Eartha Sat 07-Mar-20 11:38:54

Sorry Granny Haggis only just seen your post. The second meet up at Frost's Garden Centre cafe Brampton is at 11 am 12 March. Hope you can make it, and any other Cambridgeshire grans.

jacalpad Sun 08-Mar-20 10:21:46

Hope to be there again!

Eartha Mon 09-Mar-20 11:52:16

Quick reminder. Meet up at Frost's Garden Centre cafe, Brampton, near Huntingdon on Thursday 12 March at 11 am.

gillgran Thu 12-Mar-20 10:55:45

I live about 40 minutes from this venue, & would have liked to meet up,, sorry I can't make it this time, maybe next time.?

Eartha Thu 12-Mar-20 16:01:22

Another very pleasant get together at Frost's today. Hope you can get to the next meet up gillgran on Thursday 16th April.

Eartha Wed 19-Aug-20 13:41:49

Next Cambridgeshire meet up is on Wednesday 16th September at Frost's Garden Centre, Brampton, near Huntingdon at 10.30. Four of us have met up a few times... anyone else care to join us?

Dogsjj Wed 07-Dec-22 14:28:49

I'm in Cambridgeshire, Over and would love to meet some fellow Gransnetters