Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Anyone in Mid or South Wales ?

(44 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 20-Sep-20 14:02:34

Not for a meet up, I would like to know how things are in these
areas

Pippa000 Mon 01-Feb-21 14:36:29

I'm near Cowbridge. Covid numbers are coming down, albeit slowly. Lockdown is ongoing but it has now become a way of life and I think it will be like this for a while yet. My children are near, and one is my support bubble. I have a dog, my sanity saver, who I walk every day and usually see lots of other dog walkers, so at least I can have some human interaction, although for a two metre distance. I get my vaccine this week.

BBbevan Sun 31-Jan-21 19:50:13

LadyGracie we lived in Brynmynach Avenue. All built up now. Family lived near The Pic in Caerphilly.

crazyH Thu 28-Jan-21 19:25:39

I am in Coychurch (Bridgend)

LadyGracie Thu 28-Jan-21 19:20:06

BBbevan we're a couple of miles from Ystrad Mynach, we live within walking distance of the castle.

BBbevan Thu 28-Jan-21 19:00:11

South Carmarthen , near the sea. Very quiet here but on a fine day the coastal path is like Piccadilly Circus
LaddyGracie I lived in Ystrad Mynach as a child and have family in Caerphilly

Casdon Thu 28-Jan-21 17:34:43

Here’s the MSOA directly below.

LadyGracie Thu 28-Jan-21 17:11:55

I live in Caerphilly Borough

Anniebach Thu 28-Jan-21 16:46:34

Thank you Casdon. Not those towns, further down ,perhaps
several towns are included

Casdon Thu 28-Jan-21 15:45:38

Anniebach I think this is your area?

Anniebach Thu 28-Jan-21 15:17:27

Yes, Gower would be included Swansea Bay, spent so much time in Rhossili, had family living there for years.

I live in Powys, it has an area of 2,000 square miles , it use to be three counties , makes it impossible to know the rate in the north and south

CherryCezzy Thu 28-Jan-21 14:47:01

I'm in the Gower and that comes under Swansea Bay health board. Looking at the overall figures and R rate it's quite high. Closer scrutiny however shows a lot of disparity between regions that come under Swansea Bay. Rates in most of the Gower are lower than other regions. Rates within the Gower area itself vary from the lowest for the whole of the Bay area to mid range rates. The rate in the part of the Gower I live in is not too bad at all. No cases at all would be better of course.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jan-21 13:42:29

Thank you Casdon , I was too dependent on the B & R for so
many years.

Good news about the barracks , what would have happened to the buildings !

Casdon Thu 28-Jan-21 13:35:08

Anniebach I find out a lot via Facebook, I get the updates from the Powys County Times, and I’m on the community Facebook page as well. I found out today that the MOD have just confirmed that the barracks is staying in Brecon, so a good news day as it would have massively affected the town otherwise.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jan-21 13:34:07

So not just me ?. BBC rolling news doesn’t seem to know Wales exists with the exception of including it on the weather map

Callistemon Thu 28-Jan-21 13:25:16

Anniebach

I am fed up with daily reports on England and Scotland , only
hear about Wales in the Welsh news at 6.30

Yes, we have a moan every day grin

In fact we used to watch the West news as it was always more cheerful but these days we do watch BBC or ITV Wales so that we know what's going on. The main BBC News is just about Engerland, Engerland

Anniebach Thu 28-Jan-21 13:22:43

Casdon thank you. I suppose I am being rather stupid but
Powys is such a large county ,Ystradgynlais to above Welshpool .

I don’t know what’s going on in my town !

Casdon Thu 28-Jan-21 13:14:11

I think Wales is quietly doing okay at the moment - I look on Wales Online each day, that seems to have a better finger on the pulse than BBC, and always reports a detailed COVID update each day.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jan-21 12:27:45

I am fed up with daily reports on England and Scotland , only
hear about Wales in the Welsh news at 6.30

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 22:21:33

I was looking at the same maps Casdon, but sourcing them differently.
Your link is much better, thank you.

Casdon Sat 28-Nov-20 21:53:50

You’re right TBsNana, the daily positive numbers are going up again now, hopefully the hospitality restrictions might make a difference but so many people just aren’t taking it seriously, and think the rules don’t apply to them it’s scary.

Casdon Sat 28-Nov-20 21:47:26

They were Callistemon, it’s just a way of dividing up the population so it’s in roughly equal parts. I’m in the rural hinterland outside Brecon, and Brecon has a high incidence but it’s very low in the surrounding area where I am, so the dilemma is whether to go into town at all or not. At least with this level of detail we have choices, which is much better than it was at the beginning.

TBsNana Sat 28-Nov-20 20:47:36

I am in South East Wales - about 30 miles from Cardiff. COVID Levels have reduced here but people's behaviour since the firebreak ended has resulted in numbers going back up again.

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 20:45:06

Thanks for the link.

The MSOA links are excellent but the boundary lines were set for reasons other than a pandemic.

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 20:41:20

cases

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 20:40:24

I’m surprised that you don’t find it that helpful Callistemon

Of course it's helpful, Casdon.
It tells me I shouldn't cross the road to go into my own town, I might contaminate my neighbours on my way to M&S as we have more caees here than they have, even though I am on the edge of the countryside.