Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Anyone in Mid or South Wales ?

(43 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 20-Sep-20 14:02:34

Not for a meet up, I would like to know how things are in these
areas

Casdon Sun 20-Sep-20 14:19:11

I’m near Brecon, do you mean Covid incidence? If so it’s very low here at the moment, but obviously it’s not far to the emerging hotspots in Blaenau Gwent and Merthyr.

Anniebach Sun 20-Sep-20 14:40:46

Hello Casdon I am near Brecon too , don’t feel so isolated now

Greenfinch Sun 20-Sep-20 14:56:42

I don't live in Wales but sometimes wish I did. When my husband was teaching he frequently took groups to the residential centre at Tirabad. My geography is poor. Is that anywhere near you ?

Anniebach Sun 20-Sep-20 15:15:59

Hi, Tirabad is about 20 miles from where I live, it’s in a beautiful part of Powys

nanabird Wed 07-Oct-20 15:44:49

Hello, we are hoping to move to near Knighton, Powys in November. Downsizing from our smallholding on Worcestershire/ Herefordshire borders. Any nice Coffee shops in area,that are socially distancing??

hf59 Sat 28-Nov-20 14:18:24

Hi
Not been on Gransnet very long _ and am new to posting .....I live in Pontardawe...

Casdon Sat 28-Nov-20 14:25:22

Welcome hf59!

Anniebach Sat 28-Nov-20 14:28:26

Hi hf59 welcome / croeso . How are things in the Swansea
Valley ?

hf59 Sat 28-Nov-20 15:20:10

Just heard that where I live has been identified as a COVID “hotspot” which is a bit of a worry - lost my brother to this back in April ....
I am recently retired and so have much to learn re my time being my own now (!)

Gossamerbeynon1945 Sat 28-Nov-20 15:29:31

I am in South Wales, quite near to hf59. I get daily figures for my post code from "In Your Area" ( website, sorry don't know how to link) and our figures have gone up for the last few days, so it does not look very good. My daughter lives near to me, but she is a nurse and her husband is a teacher, who now has to isolate because one of the children in his class has Covid. Needless to say we will not be meeting up for Christmas like we usually do.

Ellianne Sat 28-Nov-20 15:39:12

I'm from Cwmllynfell but haven't been back for a while.
I always like to hear how things are in Wales.

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 15:58:58

I was accessing COVID figures which were categorised into more specific areas , known as Middle Layer Super Output Areas, or MSOAs. However, as the area where I live seemed to have a higher number of cases than an adjoining area, I wondered how useful these charts are, since the dividing line for the two areas goes right through our road.

hf59 Sat 28-Nov-20 19:11:07

Won’t be meeting up with children and partners as these include a teacher, partner who works on a university campus, a midwife whose partner is based in a school and a postie (!) ....

Susan56 Sat 28-Nov-20 19:16:11

We are on the Shropshire/Powys border.Quite low rates here at the moment??

Rosalyn69 Sat 28-Nov-20 19:46:58

Gower Peninsular. Stunningly beautiful and unspoilt.
High COVID in Swansea area.

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 19:56:20

Gower is beautiful. Just near enough for a day trip - normally.

Powys does not record COVID deaths of Welsh patients in English hospitals, where Powys patients are routinely sent. That will skew the figures for two areas.

Casdon Sat 28-Nov-20 20:05:29

public.tableau.com/profile/public.health.wales.health.protection#!/vizhome/RapidCOVID-19virology-Public/Headlinesummary
Link above gets you on to the Public Health Wales Coronavirus webpage, the MSOA tab is on the top bar, then you change the boxes on the right hand side of that page to give you the rolling 7 day figures, and put in your Health Board from the drop down box, and you can see the actual incidence in your area.
I’m surprised that you don’t find it that helpful Callistemon, because it tells you which way not to go to avoid high incidence if you’re on the edge of an area, in all fairness I think it’s quite impressive that they can tell us what the incidence is down to the level of 7000 people.

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 20:40:24

I’m surprised that you don’t find it that helpful Callistemon

Of course it's helpful, Casdon.
It tells me I shouldn't cross the road to go into my own town, I might contaminate my neighbours on my way to M&S as we have more caees here than they have, even though I am on the edge of the countryside.

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 20:41:20

cases

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 20:45:06

Thanks for the link.

The MSOA links are excellent but the boundary lines were set for reasons other than a pandemic.

TBsNana Sat 28-Nov-20 20:47:36

I am in South East Wales - about 30 miles from Cardiff. COVID Levels have reduced here but people's behaviour since the firebreak ended has resulted in numbers going back up again.

Casdon Sat 28-Nov-20 21:47:26

They were Callistemon, it’s just a way of dividing up the population so it’s in roughly equal parts. I’m in the rural hinterland outside Brecon, and Brecon has a high incidence but it’s very low in the surrounding area where I am, so the dilemma is whether to go into town at all or not. At least with this level of detail we have choices, which is much better than it was at the beginning.

Casdon Sat 28-Nov-20 21:53:50

You’re right TBsNana, the daily positive numbers are going up again now, hopefully the hospitality restrictions might make a difference but so many people just aren’t taking it seriously, and think the rules don’t apply to them it’s scary.

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 22:21:33

I was looking at the same maps Casdon, but sourcing them differently.
Your link is much better, thank you.