Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Hi I just joined and am in ayrshire in scottieland

(72 Posts)
sparkytops Sun 22-Nov-20 14:10:39

Hello, I am in ayrshire, in scotland, and see most of the members seem to be in england, are there any members in scotland at all?? I lived in england for 25 years, bromley, dover, and horsham, all lovely places..but am in ayrshire and have been now for a few years...would be nice to know if there are any members semi near, so in better times we could possibly meet for a coffee and blether..but lockdown presently is tricky..stay safe everyone..

Marydoll Thu 04-Feb-21 16:41:01

Welcome polomint, keep your eye out for a Glesca grannies thread. Hopefully in the summer.

polomint Thu 04-Feb-21 14:27:26

Hello ladies, I just joined in the last week and discovered this thread. I am a wee scottish granny from central scotland, Lanarkshire to be precise. You all sound so lovely and cheerful and it seems you have had a few guid blethers on your outings! I hope after this lockdown and virus is sorted you are all able to meet up once again

henetha Sun 31-Jan-21 11:15:13

I'm not Scottish but visit Ayrshire regularly ( not lately though for obvious reasons) because my sister lives there. It's a beautiful coast along there. And I love Scotland.
Welcome to Gransnet.

NannyInTheKitchen Sun 31-Jan-21 10:14:12

Hi Sparkytops, welcome to Gransnet. We lived in Ballantrae for 6 years, almost on the edge of the beach, we left just over a year ago and moved to rural Moffat. You are so right annodomini, the views over the water to Ailsa Craig, Arran and beyond are spectacular in particular the sunsets. We really miss those views but certainly not the constant wind smile

GrannyTracey Sun 31-Jan-21 09:52:22

Hi Sparkytops , I live in Cleland , Motherwell . Not too far from you , a 40min drive . I am from Kent , been here in not so sunny Scotland for 27 years now . I too would love to start meeting new people & making new friends after Lockdown ends

Lomo123 Fri 08-Jan-21 23:12:56

Jangran99, Hi there, Happy New Year, I know Kilsyth well, was there few weeks back when we were still allowed out.
Meet up would be great.

Dottie1 Mon 04-Jan-21 01:34:57

Hi I’ve just moved to Dumfries and LOVE being back in Scotland would love to meet up when COVID allows !

sharon103 Mon 04-Jan-21 00:49:30

Welcome sparkytops
I've just become a pensioner and live in Northamptonshire/

Jangran99 Mon 04-Jan-21 00:32:30

Hi Lomo,welcome to GN . I am probably the Gran Marydoll had in mind. I live in Kilsyth ,just up the road. You will love meeting the Glesca Grannies whenever we are free of this scourge. If you like we could have an introductory meet somewhere local when permissible.Welcome to PM me any time.

Marydoll Fri 01-Jan-21 13:37:25

It is indeed a beautiful day, Espee.

Scottieland does sound like an Americanism!

Esspee Fri 01-Jan-21 13:24:45

Am I alone in feeling nobody, just nobody calls this Scottieland?
But isn’t this a glorious day. Absolutely perfect for the time of year.
We had a walk along the Greenock Esplanade (saw a seal, eider ducks etc.). Every single person over the age of 50 wished us good morning or Happy New Year. We made a point of including clearly newcomers in our greetings an on our return journey we were greeted with smiles from the new Scots.
Happy New Year everyone.

bridie54 Fri 01-Jan-21 13:12:22

Hi Sparkytops, another Scot here. I now live in Angus but used to live in Ayr and visited Troon marina with my DH. Lovely meals in the restaurant there. Like many others I hope to join in when we can arrange a get together after all this lockdown malarkey.

HurdyGurdy Fri 01-Jan-21 13:07:09

Lived in New Cumnock, not far over the English border, until I was 13, when my dad died, and my mum wanted to move back down south where her family was.

My primary school backed onto the River Afton, the "star" of a song/poem by Robbie Burns.

I have looked at New Cumnock on Google Earth recently, and wished I hadn't. The place has been decimated - so sad to see

I need to return to New Cumnock this year (hopefully) to scatter my mother's ashes. It will be nice to meet up with the only two school friends I am still in touch with, and who still live in the area

Alexa Fri 01-Jan-21 12:59:01

But Sparkytops, you will not be able to meet others outside your household, except for your bubble of one other household.

moggie57 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:54:05

hello up there in scotland .lovely weather and countryside

Kitkat4 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:53:02

Hi sparklytops, im not too far away from south Ayrshire and have just joined the site too.

Curlygran55 Sun 27-Dec-20 14:48:14

Hi America pie. Where in Cheshire are you from? I'm from Sale, Cheshire. We moved to Dundee 2017 so we could share our lives with GC's. Best move ever, love love Scotland.

Lomo123 Wed 23-Dec-20 10:25:57

Thanks crazyH for welcome.

crazyH Sun 20-Dec-20 10:18:40

Welcome sparkytops and all the newbies...hope you enjoy your stay here .

Witzend Sun 20-Dec-20 10:12:56

Would just say for Scottie lovers, that a close friend of mine who moved back to Stockholm a couple of years ago, has a near neighbour with a lovely little Scottie - she often meets him when out for a walk!
We saw him a couple of times when visiting last year.

Marydoll Sun 20-Dec-20 10:06:46

....and surprising to find some of us are thought of as pretty intelligent. ? Who would have guessed?

MawBe Sun 20-Dec-20 10:04:47

I think you'll find many Scots on here. They like to chat and are often pretty intelligent with it, I find!!

How patronising!

Marydoll Sun 20-Dec-20 09:28:09

Lomo we will! There is actually a gran living very near you. Also my mum was from around your way, I still have family there.

Lomo123 Sun 20-Dec-20 09:18:44

Thanks for lovely welcome. Marydoll, meet up with Glesga Grannies sounds great, If we,re ever allowed to meet up again!.

Ailidh Sat 19-Dec-20 09:36:22

I'm a proud Scot but have lived in England the last 60 years. Still got the accent though, at least, so the English say.

During the last couple of months I've been learnjng Gaelic with the duolingo app. Not that any of my family were Gaelic speakers, I just like languages.
However, the more I've learned, the more I've wanted to find out about my ain land's history (some optimistic looking presents from my brother via Amazon under the tree as we speak) and I'm planning a rail and ferry holiday to Scotland as soon as it's safe.

Born in Perth, BTW. Mum fae Perth, Dad fae Crieff ??