Gransnet forums

Menopause

to ask about your menopause

(34 Posts)
happyharry Wed 15-Jun-11 08:36:03

Not really AIBU but just hoped for more traffic.
I have just had my 1st hot flash/flush. Just wondering how long you had these before your periods stopped.

glassortwo Wed 15-Jun-11 10:10:45

Sorry cant help much with that happy as I am on HRT and that stopped my periods but the hot flushes can be so draining. I had the flushes for about 2 years before I went onto HRT, there will be someone here that has not gone down the HRT route and may be able to help you!

happyharry Wed 15-Jun-11 10:19:59

Thank you glass.

greenmossgiel Wed 15-Jun-11 10:59:30

When my periods ground to gentle halt when I was 44 (I'm now 61), hot flushes took over with a vengeance! Went along to my GP, who took all the necessary blood tests etc, as I was a bit young to start going through the menopause. However, they all proved that that was what was happening, and he asked me if I would like to give HRT a try? I agreed that I would, because the flushes were pretty horrid (as we know)! HRT was wonderful. My sex life resumed comfortably, and I felt like a new woman. However, a few months after beginning the course, I began having migraines. As I hadn't suffered from these before, I returned to my GP, who told me that to have migraines while on HRT, could lead to a stroke (but he added that I shouldn't worry too much - ????!!) I made my own decision to come off the HRT and the flushes returned immediately. I just put up with them, really. I told myself that it was part and parcel of something that our own mothers had put up with, and after all, I didn't want even to consider the danger of having a stroke, especially when I'd been told this was a possibility. I tried different herbal remedies, but nothing seemed to help, really. Occasionally, the flushes still happen, and this has tied in with panic attacks, but hopefully these have settled down a good bit now too. I'm glad I didn't continue with the HRT, but if I'd been able to keep on taking it, it may have guarded against osteoporosis. I try to eat a sensible diet which hopefully will guard against this naturally. Good luck! smile

greenmossgiel Wed 15-Jun-11 11:04:18

I should have added that I did have the odd flush prior to the halting of my periods, but they were few and far between. It was only afterwards that they became so bad!

happyharry Wed 15-Jun-11 11:20:25

Thank you so much for that informative post. It feels a bit like we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am only 42 and I am starting to fee really old. I would certainly worry abour the risk of stroke as really my mum's stroke signalled her rapid decline.

harrigran Wed 15-Jun-11 11:34:11

I never had hot flushes, to be honest I never had any menopause symptoms other than heavier more painful periods. I never read articles in magazines about it or discussed it with my mother so had no idea what to expect. Generally it is ten years from peri-menopause to menopause.

Mamie Wed 15-Jun-11 12:15:30

Ten years for me from age 51. Terrible hot flushes with "aura" of fear / panic. Took HRT for two years while I was working, then stopped when I retired. Dreadful three years with flushes then gradual tailing off. Tried lots of alternative remedies, but nothing worked except making sure I got lots of exercise which helped a bit. Not very cheerful post I'm afraid!

MrsRegAJones Wed 15-Jun-11 13:17:54

Yes you are being unreasonable to ask about my menopause. My menopause is my own business thank you very much and not something to be discussed on the World Wide Web. As an aside why are some names in black and some in blue. The World Wide Web is a confusing place.

happyharry Wed 15-Jun-11 13:37:15

No idea about names being in black or blue. Sorry if I caused any offence. I only asked because I am trying to establish if the way I am feeling is down to the menopause. (Stuck at home with a child with chicken pox so can't get to doctor)

glassortwo Wed 15-Jun-11 13:40:51

Dont worry happy MrsReg is only one of the younguns from Mumsnet messing about

JessM Wed 15-Jun-11 15:32:49

blue names mean you can click on name to see profile.
HRT not recommended for those like me who have had breast cancer or if there is family history.
You tend to get flushes or you get periods, by turns sometimes. So flush tends to accompany a gap in periods.
Black cohosh not a good idea. It does not work and it may cause liver damage. Flax seeds don't work on hot flushes either.
What does help is things like wearing layers so that you can quickly disrobe a bit. Having layered bedclothes (it was a one blanket night last night) and you learn to avoid things that trigger e.g. curry.

Good luck and hope you sail through.

happyharry Wed 15-Jun-11 16:48:29

That makes sense. Thank you Jess. Having had a period of regular periods and now due but have not come on.

agedknees Thu 16-Jun-11 12:13:43

Had hot flushes from age 39. Last period was at age 42. Continued to have hot flushes until I was 49.

There is a really good website (UK) called menopause matters - sorry cannot cut and paste, just google menopause matters. Loads of helpful tips and advice that really helped me when I was feeling down.

I did not take hrt, maybe I should have.

Hope this helps.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 16-Jun-11 13:35:45

I have been having them intermittently since 2008 - I'm now 51. Periods are stop/start as well - last one was in April, one before that in January.

What definitely affects the frequency/'severity' of my hot flushes is the amount of carbs in my diet. If I follow a low carb diet, then they disappear.

Caffeine and alcohol are also triggers, although these are harder to give up, I find!

I'm also taking Boots Menolieve, which has been great.

crimson Thu 16-Jun-11 18:19:04

I so looked forward to taking hrt..used to say, unlike a man I'll get to fifity, start taking hrt and, hurrah, I'll get younger. Just as I reached the magic age the medical profession decided that hrt wasn't such a good thing after all [but is still the lesser of two evils if you have a bad menopause]. I sailed through mine, although did have a time when my periods got closer and closer together [I thought they'd get more spaced out, but it doesn't always work that way] and I was put on some tablets to stop that happening. Can't remember what they were called, but I felt great when I was taking them [albeit with a warning for the Doc that I might start growing facial hair]. Had more energy than at any time in my life [I think they had a bit of testosterone in them]. I still look longingly at packets of hrt; the elixir of youth, and wonder how I'd feel if I took them. The good thing is that, if hot flushes and things do get bad you can always take a low dose hrt, so you don't have to suffer. Everyone I know who seem to be eternally youthfull are on it envy.

Granny61 Sun 03-Jul-11 22:08:35

I have found that decaf tea bags and coffee have helped my hot flushes. Anything that is artificially sweetened I avoid as this seems to aggrevate them. I also find that lots of fruit doesn't help either. I did take HRT but during the time I took them the doctor did no checks at all. I wound up needing an operation to cure something that I am convinced was caused by no-one making these checks whilst I was on HRT. I can't prove it of course. For me I try to stay as calm as possible. Worry also triggers them. Nights are sometimes not very good. Avoid alcohol if you can (having said that I do admit to one glass of wine per week). Unfortunately chocolate seems to be a trigger too, although the real dark chocolate (75% or more solids) is OK. Hope this helps. I am going to try the low carb diet suggested by BecauseImWorthIt.

numberplease Sun 03-Jul-11 22:31:38

I never had hot flushes, or indeed any of the symptoms of the menopause. My periods went from lasting for 5 days gradually down to 3, over a period of about 6 months, then they stopped altogether, when I was just turned 56. I just wish they`d stopped a good few years earlier!!

Grumpyoldwoman Sun 03-Jul-11 23:35:07

I started with perimenopause symptoms when i was 42. I actually felt pregnant...although I had been sterilised at 32.
I had heavier periods and gradually the hot flushes started. I was horrified when I realised what was happening ...but a male colleague recommended something his wife was taking and they worked like magic for me. I could certainly tell if I had forgotten to take them.
They are...
Dong Quai capsules ( I always took SOLGAR ones as these were recommended)
They are not cheap but to me well woth the money and I sailed through the rest of my menopause with periods stopping at 47.
Good luck with this new chapter of your life.
One thing I have noticed is that I rarely feel cold..in fact I am usually too warm and always have all the windows open !!!!

I think we need a ''Hot flush'' smiley !!!!

baggythecrust! Mon 04-Jul-11 06:13:32

Menopause??? I don't seem to have noticed. Last baby born when I was just short of forty-five and I knew she was my last good egg. smile Then things gradually fizzled out. I can't even remember when or how. Certainly not an issue.

absentgrana Mon 04-Jul-11 14:57:19

I think the general rule of thumb about the menopause is that if your periods start stopping, as it were, when you are under 50, you can't reckon it's over until you haven't had a period for two years. If you're over 50, one year without periods signals the end of the menopause. I kept going for months on end without a period and then, just at the last minute, along came another great white shark – until I was 54. I didn't get the hot flushes thing but did get very obvious mood swings – sometimes to the plate-throwing stage (just at walls not at people). This may also have been related to an especially troublesome situation in my life at the same time, however.

absentgrana Mon 04-Jul-11 14:59:09

MrsRegAJones Oh do stop being silly. If you don't want to answer, nobody can make you. happyharry is looking for a bit of help.

crimson Mon 04-Jul-11 18:08:48

Although I sailed through the menopause quite easily, it concerns me that I seem to have lost the ability to concentrate or make decisions [never my strong points but not as bad as now].

ellie50 Wed 20-Jul-11 11:59:19

i was on hrt for over 13 years, am now 60. it kept me sane and energised! however, i had to stop taking it last year because i was having surgery and boy do i notice the difference. i have hot flushes every two hours night and day so i haven't actually slept through the night for a year. i've got used to them but it certainly saps my energy. have tried a couple of alternatives but not much success. am hoping it wont be too long before they get less frequent.

marmar Wed 20-Jul-11 12:37:49

Well it would seem I got off lightly, periods just stopped, one month normal, that was the last one, over 12 years ago, no flushes, no mood swings [ well not as far as I am concerned ] nothing, I feel just the same [ deffo don't feel old ] so the bathroom mirror is a shock some mornings grin