Gransnet forums

Menopause

menopause- terrible temper!

(42 Posts)
jami Sat 24-Aug-13 13:10:08

Hi All. I am new here! This looks such an interesting place to learn and share, so here goes:.

This sounds funny but oh, it's not! I am 59; have had the menopause now for 3 years. I am getting over the hot flushes, the confused thinking- some symptoms do seem to be retreating. However, lately, have been so irritable and a mood swing can happen out of nowhere- I can be so content and then something happens ( usually when working too hard, which at the moment is difficult to avoid as we are going through a period of tight money and building up a new company)) and I find I am getting into exhausting rows with my partner. I have never been on HRT and am wondering, that despite the fact that a lot of the symptoms are waning, would it maybe help me stabilise my mood swings and also calm my irritability? When an argument happens, as last night, I find I can get so out of control. Sometimes, I manage to evade it and talk myself down!...but other times it can take off and I find I am shouting streams of insults, I am so angry, I 'm out of control, unbalnced, furious. Of course my partner gets wound in, if only to defend himself, so it becomes a blazing row. Next day it's like waking up from a nightmare. I don't drink alcohol, but it reminds me of how nasty some people get when they are drunk!
When this happened a lot last year, I went and asked for some counselling at the GPs office. As soon as I got on the counselling, the rows retreated and had nothing to talk about, so fazed it out.. Maybe having someone 'watching' me helped me behave!
Does anyone else have any experience of violent rage in the menopause and if HRT might help?

j08 Sat 24-Aug-13 13:45:44

I would n' t go for HRT. I would suggest asking doc to put you on fluoxetine. I know there will be anti responses to that suggestion, but ssri' s have a proven safety record and fluoxetine has a very good chance of helping you.

soop Sat 24-Aug-13 14:45:08

I second jings suggestion.

Charleygirl Sat 24-Aug-13 14:56:32

I was on HRT for many years and noticed little difference.

Eloethan Sat 24-Aug-13 15:03:49

Is it necessarily connected to the menopause? As you are under some pressure re finance and building up a new business, perhaps this is causing tiredness and stress, and is contributing to your "short fuse".

If you are able to spare the time, it might be helpful to get into a routine of taking a break so that you can go out for a daily walk or do a weekly yoga or exercise class.

Ariadne Sat 24-Aug-13 15:04:13

Mmm. We have discussed HRT or not before, and there seem to be no real conclusions about whether the benefits outweigh the risks. We all have our own stories; I was on HRT for quite a while, but it WAS about 12 years ago, and it was, I think, a heavy dosage. It worked. I was suffering dreadful mod swings and temper, which is not me.

I also had breast cancer 10 years ago. As I say, I, and many others, don't know about links etc.

Probably not a lot of help! There are some people on GN better qualified than me to comment.

nightowl Sat 24-Aug-13 16:08:27

Maybe ask for counselling again? It sounds as though you benefitted the last time from just being heard (could do with a bit of that myself) smile

janeainsworth Sat 24-Aug-13 16:37:38

j08 fluoxetine is an anti-depressant, so it would not necessarily help the OP.
Agree with nightowl that counselling would probably be more helpful.

Movedalot Sat 24-Aug-13 16:40:48

I agree with nightowl makes sense if it worked before. Also much better to talk than to take any kind of meds.

janeainsworth Sat 24-Aug-13 17:05:42

Not necessarily Movedalot. If mental illness is due to chemical imbalances in the brain, for example in severe clinical depression, then no amount of talking is going to make any difference.

nightowl Sat 24-Aug-13 17:30:53

There is no evidence that clinical depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain though jane. That isn't to say that antidepressants aren't helpful in some cases but the mechanism by which they work is very complex and not as straightforward as putting right a simple imbalance, as we have been led to believe.

This is an interesting article.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8138893.stm

susieb755 Sat 24-Aug-13 17:44:29

HRT helped me and my sister..... I swear by it , but guess its not for everyone

janeainsworth Sat 24-Aug-13 17:46:42

Thanks Nightowl - however I listened to the excerpt from the Today programme, and sounds as though the author of the article is not representative of mainstream psychiatry. The other psychiatrist in the interview distinguished between mild and severe illness and disputed her claim that there's very little evidence of how psycho-active drugs work.

j08 Sat 24-Aug-13 18:02:21

janeainsworth fluoxetine is also used to treat anxiety. It is calming. Take the word of one who knows. smile

j08 Sat 24-Aug-13 18:03:19

It is also used to treat pmt. Which has the same symptoms as the original poster is experiencing.

j08 Sat 24-Aug-13 18:04:18

The whole human race should be on vitamin p.

janeainsworth Sat 24-Aug-13 18:16:57

j08 I'm not disputing that fluoxetine is helpful, calming etc.
I just don't think we should attempt to diagnose the OP's mental health problems, if any, that's all smile

j08 Sat 24-Aug-13 18:27:14

Oh! I'm not diagnosing anything!

Should we just say to the OP, "No can't suggest anything, sorry"?

j08 Sat 24-Aug-13 18:30:45

You did say that fluoxetine is "an antidepressant". I simply pointed out that it has other licensed indications.

nanaej Sat 24-Aug-13 18:34:18

OP was asking if we had advice re HRT as she related her problems to menopause.

I have not used HRT so am unable to offer advice other than go back to GP and discuss further!

j08 Sat 24-Aug-13 18:39:52

hmm

(makes note: must not widen thread topic)

Nonu Sat 24-Aug-13 18:44:21

JO else you will get a slapped wrist . !!not from me I hasten to add !

[groin]

Nonu Sat 24-Aug-13 18:46:03

Oh crikey bobs , grin NOT groin . excuse em moi !!

merlotgran Sat 24-Aug-13 18:49:37

Nonu shock I was beginning to think winning that book was giving you ideas!

j08 Sat 24-Aug-13 18:50:26

From the article:

In my view it remains more plausible that they "work" by producing drug-induced states which suppress or mask emotional problems"

May I, just this once, pleeease, say "bollocks"? smile