Gransnet forums

Menopause

post menopausal hot flushes

(55 Posts)
rojon Fri 20-Sep-13 22:19:41

Still having one or two a day despite being in my seventies and wondered if others in the same situation had found a good treatment. They are not caused by any medications.

Cambia Fri 22-Jan-16 09:23:48

I am aged 60 and came off HRt a year ago. Got a lot of hot flushes straight away but they do seem to be getting less. Awful thing I have discovered is that cutting back drastically on red wine for January has helped enormously. Now I didn't want to know this!! Obviously need to decide what I like most, red wine and flushes or no flushes and no red wine.

Mommaberyl1 Fri 22-Jan-16 09:38:49

I have been using black cohosh for the last 5 months and my hot flashes have reduced dramatically. I wouldn't be without it now

Blodyn Fri 22-Jan-16 20:33:32

I cut out processed food, sugar and went low carb. My hot flushes decreased. Im told its because of the lack of insulin surge. I then decided to go paleo and cut out dairy due to its high oestrogen levels and my hot flushes virtually vanished. I also don't drink alcohol.

Maggieanne Sun 24-Jan-16 20:50:14

Hate it, so miserable at times. I use soya in porridge, went back to my doctor after a while for another cholesterol test and he was amazed, much lower, don't know how well it works for hot flushes though. Have tried sage tablets, although as others have said the hot flushes are so erratic, you might assume something works but it really is just coincidence. I know that they get worse in the day when I'm stressed, well, basically thinking, that's pretty stressful sometimes! Night-time is unpleasant, might try black cohosh. Seems the menopause is low on the list of problems to sort out, perhaps because only women suffer from them. Ooh sexist, or what! As someone said, if men had to go through pregnancy, things might have got easier much sooner.

JessM Mon 25-Jan-16 07:23:07

Cambia alas and alack - things which, if consumed during evening, that give me flushes in the night - wine, chocolate, spicy food or even a sweet dessert. My body obviously trying to make a point smile

Lupatria Mon 25-Jan-16 12:05:37

I had a total hysterectomy in 1995 at the age of 48 as I had ovarian cancer. thankfully the removal of both ovaries meant that I didn't ovulate ever again!!

however I went into full-blown menopause two days after the op. I was prescribed patches and, after a couple of weeks, I found I was allergic to them [ring of red rings around my waistline!].

as I didn't like pills I was then given an implant every six months of oestrogen and testosterone until the manufacturers decided that they wouldn't make them any more so I had to go on to pills.

I've been on the hrt since 1995 and bless them every day as they help to keep me feeling well. I might get one or two night sweats every now and again but they are few and far between [how much worse would they have been without the hrt?].

I know all about the risks but I think the pros outweigh the cons and my gp has no qualms about me continuing on the pills even though i'm now 68.

adnil1949 Mon 25-Jan-16 12:43:40

I`m currently taking Clonidine, having no effect at all, still getting hot flushes and night sweats.

K8tie Mon 25-Jan-16 13:03:28

I am 66 now but when I was going through the menopause I took all the advice re soya and it took me 6 months to realise the horrible itching to my legs which by then looked like raw minced meat was due to the soya. It was the only thing added and with all the media advice re soya I was hesitant to drop it. I finally dropped it and within a week my legs were back to normal. Please do the research for yourself re soya. Yes the Japanese have a good history with soya however you will find they hardly never have soya milk - only fermented soya products which interestingly I can take also without any problem.

Re Hot flushes . . . what really worked for me was evening primrose oil capsules. Now we are all so very individual so what may work for me may not work for all, however anyone I have suggested this too have found relief so maybe give it a try.

And re magnets . . . never tried for hot flushes however i have a little pack of tiny magnets which have the ability to knock out a whole load of pulled/strained muscles, etc when I play tennis and get a little over-eager on the court. And I play about 5 hours a week, and do pilates twice a week, so these magnets are my little go-to pain-killer saviours, and they really do work for me. smile

Teacher11 Mon 25-Jan-16 14:56:52

HRT. Magic. Stopped my hot flushes instantly and they have not been back. I seem to be much more 'even' and calm on HRT too. Read up on the pros and cons to be well informed if you think you will consider it.

Chrishappy Mon 25-Jan-16 15:03:04

I came off hrt after 19yrs ( hysterectomy in 1996)to have a knee replacement last yr. I'm still off it as I'm having 2 nd knee done shortly. I'm having the most awful constant night sweats, I sleep with window open and just a lightweight throw on.I've not had a full nights sleep since last April and as soon as my knee is done and I've had my first check up I'm going straight back on it for quality of life!!! I can't stand it much longer

BRedhead59 Mon 25-Jan-16 15:32:18

Still get them aged 62 - no period for ten years. They don't bother me.

knspol Mon 25-Jan-16 15:57:22

Now 65 and still having around half a dozen hot sweats per day. Tried no alcohol, no caffeine, black cohosh and even stooped to a magnet and all to no avail. Eventually gave in and went on HRT for 18 mths and the relief was enormous. Came off the HRT due to long term health worries and back the sweats came with a vengeance. They've reduced in strength considerably but still a real nuisance and an embarrassment too at times.

Chrishappy Mon 25-Jan-16 16:50:57

Knspol would you go back on hrt again or are you going to persevere this time? I'm so unsure but feel exhausted with it all

Tessa101 Mon 25-Jan-16 19:01:50

I'm 59 and was on HRT for 10 years decided to come of it Jan 2014. Hot flushes night sweats all returned,had I have known I wouldn't have taken it at all,as after starting menopause at 45 I'm now going thru it all over again.All HRT did was prolong it.

Maggieanne Mon 25-Jan-16 21:27:00

My most embarrassing moment, I returned an item to House of Fraser that hadn't been used and as I spoke to the assistant I felt my body heat rise and my face went blood-red! She went off to speak to a colleague and I'm sure she thought I was lying, I felt awful. Damn these hot flushes.

narrowboatnan Tue 26-Jan-16 09:20:46

If you must go down the HRT route, please ask you doctor NOT to prescribe Premarin. It's made from the urine of pregnant mares and they are kept standing in stalls throughout their pregnancy just so their urine can be collected easily. In fact, the only reason that they are made pregnant is so that the oestrogen in their urine can be extracted and sold. They have a horrible life and don't even get to enjoy motherhood as the foals are of no use to the breeders. Their are alternative, synthetically made brands out there.

narrowboatnan Tue 26-Jan-16 09:20:47

If you must go down the HRT route, please ask you doctor NOT to prescribe Premarin. It's made from the urine of pregnant mares and they are kept standing in stalls throughout their pregnancy just so their urine can be collected easily. In fact, the only reason that they are made pregnant is so that the oestrogen in their urine can be extracted and sold. They have a horrible life and don't even get to enjoy motherhood as the foals are of no use to the breeders. Their are alternative, synthetically made brands out there.

narrowboatnan Tue 26-Jan-16 09:23:09

*there. Sorry pedants grin

Menopaws Wed 12-Oct-16 07:43:30

Best way of heating up cold winter bed! Cohosh and no alcohol def helped but dull, getting less slowly a year on, exercise good for stress as well I find

Irma Wed 12-Oct-16 13:46:21

I melt every night, I had a hysterectomy 13 years ago, tried all sorts - still melt every night sad

Irma Wed 12-Oct-16 13:46:58

I'm 65 and a quarter!

hjw2505 Wed 12-Oct-16 19:06:18

I'm 61 and have had night sweats for the past 12 years. Hot flushes in the day come and go.HRT is not for me due to family medical history so over the years I have tried a variety of options such as diet, herbal remedies. The only things that seem to make a difference are cutting down, or cutting out completely, alcohol and eating anything too late in the evening. Exercise seems to help but maybe the bit of weight I lose contributes to my general feeling of well being. I've just reduced my working hours, have started swimming regularly so am hoping for an improvement in the night sweats. But even though I haven't slept for more than 2 hours at a time for the past 12 years I've always been grateful that I have not had to deal with any more debilitating medical conditions

GrandmaMoira Wed 12-Oct-16 19:53:21

I took HRT for several years as the hot flushes were unbearable. I stopped because the GP kept telling me it's not good to stay on it too long. My hot flushes are now occasional and very mild but have got worse since my hysterectomy earlier this year even though I'm 64 and this started over 15 years ago. I would recommend HRT for anyone struggling badly with flushes.

Lizzy1967 Fri 15-Feb-19 09:04:27

Its so good to hear from people who have done the hard yards.

I started at 42, my symptoms worsening as time went on. I could not do my job as a property manager.. I could remember where things were or information.. It ruined my career.

Started with

1. Notice I would fly of the handle at the smallest of things and was shocked at my response

2. I felt so unwell and some nights i would vomit and I had no energy at all.

3. I became so very hungry all the time.

4. I would get really bad dizzy spells. I would have to sit down.

5. My hair started falling out in clumps

6. Then notice I wasnt retaining information.. So bad I simply could not get out of a well know shopping centre.

7. My periods were all over the place

8. I started to get stomach cramps so bad that I would almost pass out.

9. Clots started to come out so large one covered the palm of my hand.

10. My feet started to swell so badly i was not able to wear heels.

11. My joints and muscles retracted so badly I started to get large knots

12. All my joints became stiff and to walk up hill or stairs was painful but going down was so much more pain full.

13. My vitamin levels were all over the place

14. Noise started to irritate me

15. Starting to get cold flushed

16. Couldnt stay asleep. Suffered insomnia.

17. Woke up with stiff painful feet and legs

18. Had severe depression and anxiety

19. Panic attacks were so bad I started to hyperventilate.

20. Breast cysts

I have now 51 and I still have

Sleepless nights
Back pain
Pain in my feet
Breathlessness
Heart erythema
Hot one minute cold the next
Insomia
Moods swings
High blood pressure spikes with hot flush
Panic attacks
Nausea
Allergies ( never ever had these until now)
Thirst that is hard to quench but not all the time
No energy

I have asked for help from doctors but recieved nothing but tests and more tests.

I would like to know when this will all end as I am so very tried.

I want my life back please.

Granmaz Wed 17-Jul-19 09:30:04

Hi, I’m very new to Gransnet, 62 and was on HRT for roughly 7/8 years. I decided to come off about 5 months ago and as soon as I switched to a patch (in order to come off in a controlled manner) the hot flushes started. I kind of expected that but I’m more concerned about aching limbs, weepyness, and lethargy. Is anyone else experiencing these symptoms post HRT?