Gransnet forums

Menopause

does being healthy really minimise the effects of the menopause?

(135 Posts)
megletfrommn Fri 20-Mar-15 23:41:49

I'm visiting from mn for some advice.

Did those of you who were fairly healthy have a less troubling menopause? Mentally and or physically.

My body has been playing me up for a couple of years since I was 38. Had hysterectomy at 35 (still got ovaries) which i've heard can bring forward the menopause. Gp gave me a random blood test and said it was fine. I don't feel fine. However I'm pretty healthy, never smoked, don't drink, mostly veggie diet, very active at the gym and go running, weight on the low side of normal.

Any experience's would be appreciated, I feel like I'm going mad! Apologies for any typo's, new phone with a silly keyboard that I can't type on.

seasider Sat 21-Mar-15 00:25:31

I think I am pretty healthy and have an active social life. I am 58 now and seem to be through the menopause fairly easily. I had the odd hot flush and sometimes felt dizzy but not many symptoms. I did not have HRT though some friends swear by it. I did take some herbal tablets though (Estroven) and maybe they helped?

Anne58 Sat 21-Mar-15 00:34:16

I don't think there is any correlation between diet and symptoms (hot flushes, mood swings etc) of the menopause, although certain things can aggravate some symptoms, for example tea/coffee can seem to bring on hot flushes, as can alcohol! (I spent many a time weighing up the pros and cons of a glass of wine once the sun was over the yardarm, metaphorically speaking!)

I found the nurse at our GP practice very helpful.(She suggested black cohosh), which is a herbal thing, also some get good results with sage, there is another thing that is related to soya in some way, but my feeble brain can't remember exactly what it is!)

Some sail through the menopause with hardly a symptom (lucky mares!) others have every one of them under the sun.

Hope you can get the right sort of help/advice.

harrigran Sat 21-Mar-15 00:58:10

I was one of the lucky ones, heavier periods towards the menopause but otherwise symptom free. I had a healthy diet and played badminton until I was sixty one which I believed helped. I assumed that life would go on as normal except the periods would stop and that is what happened. I think a positive attitude and keeping active helps.

Mamie Sat 21-Mar-15 05:15:05

I am sure being unfit and unhealthy would not help, but in my experience it made no difference. I had a horrendous menopause that lasted ten years, during which I swam, walked long distances and continued to do ballet. I have always been very fit and I ate well and tried to keep a positive outlook, though this is hard when your sleep is constantly broken by flushes and palpitations.
Nothing worked except for the three years when I took HRT. Now it is over I feel ten years younger.
Try the Menopause Matters forum, it is really helpful.

Mamie Sat 21-Mar-15 05:25:31

I also had an early hysterectomy for fibroids, but kept my ovaries. I don't know if it makes a difference, but obviously you don't really know when the menopause starts because you have no periods to stop. I had no problems between the hysterectomy and the menopause ten years later.

J52 Sat 21-Mar-15 07:05:27

I went through the menopause in my 40s. I am very healthy and fit. ( cross fingers, up to now) I had no trouble whatsoever. My period became less in an even pattern, I had a couple of hot flushes and would get a bit warmer at night. That was helped by all cotton sheets and night wear.

I know I was very lucky. I think your genetic make up has a lot to do with it. x

Anya Sat 21-Mar-15 07:11:04

It depends what you mean by 'my body has been playing me up for a couple of year'. You say you had a hysterectomy, but are there other physical or emotional problems that you are referring to?

Jane10 Sat 21-Mar-15 07:25:11

I was lucky too. Having read the horror stories I was dreading it. I'd always been quite fit and healthy and didn't ever cut back on coffee/tea/alcohol/sugar or anything really. I'm sorry you're having a bad time of it. The GN motto 'this too shall pass' is really applicable here! Have to say its brilliant once you're though it -no more periods or any of the things that go along with menstruation. Good luck you've got a lot to look forward to!

thatbags Sat 21-Mar-15 07:32:36

I count myself as one of the luckier ones with regard to menopause symptoms. Mind you, I was lucky re all gynaecological health. I wonder if that is significant? Still having some minor hot flushes in my sixtieth year, but they are not a bother really, especially as I have always been one to be putting on and taking off layers of clothing throughout the day.

soontobe Sat 21-Mar-15 07:49:59

I am healthy. Dont smoke, very light drinker. Diet not too bad.
I dont think I could ever call myself very fit though, even though I am not overweight.

I am in year 6 of hot flushes. And sometimes it gets beyond a joke.
For instance, I had a good day yesterday, possibly only 2. But during the night last night, I had about 8-10. Ridiculous. I overheat. Later I go too cold. Then I overheat etc.

I could go for HRT I suppose, but it didnt suit my mum, so I am reluctant to go for it, and I therefore soldier on.

soontobe Sat 21-Mar-15 07:55:39

What are your symptoms megletfrommn, if you dont mind me asking?
What does the doctor think is happening?

Lona Sat 21-Mar-15 08:10:33

I've mostly eaten a healthy diet, exercised two or three times a week for 37 years, sometimes had more alcohol than I should, but my periods stopped at age 50 and I had no other menopausal symptoms.
My mum had a bad time with hers.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 21-Mar-15 09:15:52

Well, I suppose being fat would make the effects of hot flushes worse, but you are not that. You sound as though you are doing all the right things. But don't make yourself tired with too much exercise. And think about your joints. Just don't overdo it.

And perhaps eat a little bit more. Being underweight is not good. I was told by the practice nurse that a little bit of fat is protective.

My physical symptons weren't too bad, but looking back, I definitely went a bit odd in my mind! shock (No comments please Gransnetters hmm)

whitewave Sat 21-Mar-15 09:21:53

70 next birthday and all is more or less behind me. The menopause for me was not pleasant to say the least. My job amongst other things entailed interviewing CEO'S and directors of various company's, and I would often wonder if they noticed perspiration dripping down my face as I sat boiling the other side of the desk. Sleep was another major issue and I can remember crying from tiredness as I would often have to be up by 5am to drive to France. HRT was tried for a time but breast cancer stopped that. BUT you do get over it and I feel quite gleeful and appreciate feeling so much more human. I can even wear a scarf now!!

Teetime Sat 21-Mar-15 09:27:23

I think its all been said here. My experience was that I went into the menopause overweight and sedentary (hugely stressful big job didn't help). My symptoms lethargy, joint pains and constant nighttime hotflushes did not improve until I took HRT but losing the weight via healthy eating once I retired and reducing alcohol intake helped a lot and gave me a more positive mental outlook. Good luck with your symptomsflowers

mouni Sat 21-Mar-15 10:49:33

Menopause is a natural stage of life. There are also healthy diet and lifestyle changes you can try. Regular exercise can improve your aspect of life and may help with hot flashes. It will also help reduce your risk of heart disease and osteoporosis.

Mishap Sat 21-Mar-15 11:22:44

I really do not think that your initial state of health has any impact on how the menopause will affect you. Life chucks good things and bad at us, and you will either sail through it or you will have problems - it is the luck of the draw.

But....clearly if you are active and eating properly it will have an impact on your state of mind for dealing with whatever you get.

I had a hysterectomy at age 42 and kept my ovaries. I was not told at the time that even if you retain the ovaries the the hormonal menopause can still arrive a bit earlier.

If your body is "playing you up" then it could be something else entirely (especially as your blood tests for hormone levels were normal) - I should go back to GP and describe your symptoms and see if he/she can investigate further for you.

I hope you feel better soon.

Mishap Sat 21-Mar-15 11:25:45

Menopause is indeed a "natural stage of life", but we must not fall into the trap of thinking that natural = good.

There are plenty of natural things that happen to us that are seriously grim and we are lucky to have the medical advances that we do to counteract nature and make life easier - or even save our lives.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 21-Mar-15 11:33:36

I would think being healthy to start off would minimise the effects of most things. And delay the occurrence of other things.

Mamie Sat 21-Mar-15 11:56:24

Well said Mishap.
I have to wonder what an "unnatural" phase of life would look like?
I just hate it when there is some sort of implicit assumption (not accusing anyone on here) that problems with menstruation, childbirth and menopause are somehow a woman's fault if they don't go according to plan.

soontobe Sat 21-Mar-15 12:00:33

Menopause is indeed a "natural stage of life",

I would agree if it wasnt for the fact that Asian women, particularly Japanese women dont have it anywhere near as much. The figures for Japanese women are 7%.
That is why I question the whole subject.

Mamie Sat 21-Mar-15 12:10:30

Only 7% of Japanese women have the menopause? Blimey.

loopylou Sat 21-Mar-15 12:13:27

It's said it is because they eat a low fat high soya diet I think.....
I was very fit and healthy before and during the first years of the menopause and it was horrendous so not so for me!
Same with menstruation, ghastly dysmenorrhea and worse.....from age 10!

thatbags Sat 21-Mar-15 12:15:29

Do you mean only 7% of Japanese women admit to feeling any 'symptoms' of the menopause, soon, or that they carry on being fertile into old age?

I suspect that you source (which you don't mention, by the way) meant the second of those things, not that most Japanese women simply don't pass through the menopause ever.