Gransnet forums

Menopause

Mid life crisis, situational depression or just the menopause?

(4 Posts)
CK4260 Sat 16-Jul-16 18:53:17

Hi everyone - can anyone identify with my situation?

I started the menopause when about 50 (now 56), a couple of years after my partner and I coupled up. Once the hot flushes started I found I couldn't cope with bedtime cuddles as I'd instantly flush up and feel really uncomfortable. This has meant our sex life has completely disappeared along with the vital night night cuddle ? And as for sex I'm simply not interested in the slightest.

In the last couple of years my son has returned from living abroad with a wife and baby, they lived with us for a while at the time baby was born (soooo stressful). My relationship with D in Law has deteriorated, don't see my grand daughter much. Another grandchild now on the way. Everybody, and I mean everybody, irritates me, I feel negative and irritable all the time, lonely and detached. I'm driving myself mad, so can totally understand others losing interest. Can't be bothered with anything, nothing spikes my interest anymore and Imfeel like I'm in limbo going nowhere rapidly.

Had been blaming everything on D in Law problems (she is tricky everyone agrees) but I'm not sure it's the whole problem. Feel like I'm going bonkers!

Any advice gratefully received.

vampirequeen Sat 16-Jul-16 19:18:41

I get hot as soon as I get into bed so we don't cuddle under the covers. It can be a bit cold esp. for DH but it's a compromise we make. After a while he covers up and I either lay half covered or with no covers depending whether it's my whole body or just my legs.

Have you gone of sex because you no longer want it or because it makes you uncomfortably hot? If the latter, I've found that I overheat less if we make love when I first wake up rather than on a night.

Menopause can make you depressed and some of your symptoms could be an indication of that.

The best thing is to talk to your doctor. Perhaps you need a course of HRT.

wot Sat 16-Jul-16 20:04:12

CK4260, I've pm ed you.

obieone Sat 16-Jul-16 20:14:03

First paragraph, definitely menopause.

2nd paragraph, probably all 3

Agree with vampirequeen, see you doctor.