Gransnet forums

Menopause

Questions about pain during perimenopause

(5 Posts)
AcuQueen Sat 08-Oct-16 11:58:51

Hiya

Hope this is ok. I've posted in Mumsnet but wanted to find out views from people who had got through meno (preferably in one piece! smile) I'm 47 and began getting perimenopausal symptoms last year. Arthralgia kicked in earlier this year, starting in back and arms and now it's all over. Slightly better just after my period but generally there's no let up and I always have background aches and pains - very stiff in the mornings!

I've had a Mirena fitted and am now on Elleste solo 80 patches (having tried the lower strength). These have improved the length of my cycle and hot flushes/sweats. However, the pain is as bad as ever. I've had bloods checked and the GP can't find any other reasons for this. I also take Menopace Plus, Vit D3 and magnesium supplements and try to keep my alcohol/sugar intake down as far as possible.

I've got two questions:

1. Does anything else help at all? Exercises from a physio? Massage?

2. Will these pains ever improve or go away?

Am getting used to them but feel that they're limiting me a bit. Plus it's exhausting being sore all the time!

Thanks in advance smile

--

Hello. This thread is a little old now. For more up-to-date information take a look at our perimenopause symptoms page - which includes what age it typically starts and gransnetters' tips for easing symptoms. GNHQ.

obieone Sat 08-Oct-16 15:22:00

I will bump this for you.
Sorry you are suffering so much.

hildajenniJ Sat 08-Oct-16 15:58:06

Sorry I can't help. I have not had any pain as such. I do have really horrible hot flushes/night sweats. I also have arthritis in hips which began before my periods ended. My periods stopped when I was 53. I'm 64 now. I didn't want to take HRT as my sister had breast lumps (fortunately benign) but you can't be too careful, so I am just going to ride it out as best I can.

Teetime Sat 08-Oct-16 16:36:01

Hello AcuQueen yes please exercise its use it or lose it time from mid years onwards but go steady and get some advice don't start running marathons. I find HRT does help me but I have another condition that means I will always have pain HOWEVER pain control is there to be used so if your GP puts you on something take it and don't try to BE BRAVE- there is no virtue in suffering pain when you don't have to. As to dietary remedies I don't think anything has been proven to help other than trying to keep your weight within normal limits and all the usual healthy eating advice.
I'm not the best person to ask about alternative therapies as I was a nurse and I only take conventional medicine under doctors orders. I hope you find some relief soon and keep smiling. smile

AcuQueen Sat 15-Oct-16 11:40:57

Hi all

thanks so much for the lovely replies! Teatime, am sorry you're still experiencing pain x
Have had a bit of a revelation this week... Only upped my Elleste patches to 80 3 weeks ago and think they're starting to help. Also I've doing some reading about dehydration and it's effect on the body and pain as we age.
Apparently, we don't get away with it in the same way as when our bodies are younger and can our bodies need more water. I read about women whose hormonal aches and pains were decreased by drinking more so have tried it. I started on Tuesday and within 2 days felt heaps better. The back muscles are still very tight but otherwise feel less sore. I've realised I've been mostly drinking brown tea so not great! My DH (who has arthritis has adopted this lifestyle change too and is feeling better.

Who knew? smile