Gransnet forums

Menopause

Hair Loss

(76 Posts)
Beejo Thu 02-Feb-17 10:45:48

I've read that female hair loss is common and I do see plenty of women of my sort of age (67) with thin hair.
I had a total hysterectomy 12 years ago and my hair has been getting steadily thinner ever since. This is not just on my head, but all over my body so that I feel like I'm going to wind up looking like a huge wrinkly baby!

I've talked to doctors a few times over the years and they were quite dismissive when the thinning was only obvious to me. The last time, the GP said my only option was HRT and I should go away and read articles he recommended on the web. But he also said that I would see that some people say HRT is the best thing ever, while others say don't go near it - not a lot of help! confused What I have discovered from my reading is that, so far as I can tell, HRT might help, but could also make my problem worse!!

Does anyone have any advise or experience of this?

Swanny Thu 02-Feb-17 17:22:47

Yes it's a natural process once you stop producing the hormones oestrogen and progesterone. Hair under the arms and in the pubic area starts growing at puberty and stops after menopause or stopping HRT. I believe you can have tests done if the hair on your head starts thinning drastically, but other than HRT there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about body hair.

For some reason no-one seems to talk about it and it comes as a shock to many women. I was told you can even get pubic wigs, although I believe they are mainly used in the film industry ...

Beejo Fri 03-Feb-17 10:40:27

Thanks for this. Of course, and you are quite right, I should have expected hair loss on my body. I don't really mind that, I just don't want to be more-or-less bald!
It makes me cross that when I had my hysterectomy, no-one discussed the long term effects. It probably wouldn't have influenced my decision in the end, but I would have liked to have been prepared.

I still don't know whether to try HRT - I really don't want to risk making the situation worse but it seems like my only option. I've tried all the shampoos and potions and, predictably, nothing really makes any difference. I can make my hair look better but nothing changes the fact that it's getting progressively thinner.

I've read about hormone tests, certainly available in America for a fee, which would tell me if HRT was the way to go but, somehow, I don't see the poor old NHS funding that! I'll ask my GP when I see him next week what the situation is, how much such things might cost privately.
Thanks again.

mumofmadboys Fri 03-Feb-17 12:08:44

Might be worth having your thyroid function test done.

tanith Fri 03-Feb-17 12:42:28

There was a piece on the One Show last night about hair loss and it showed a lady who has a wig shop for just this problem. I'm not saying you would want to go down this route but I was quite impressed with how light and unwig like they were. There were younger and older ladies and they really did transform them and made them much more confident.

Just food for thought, I hope your GP is helpful and I don't think a hormone test would be that expensive.

KatyK Fri 03-Feb-17 18:17:43

I have lost all my hair. I have had every test under the sun to no avail. When my hair started thinning, I tried HRT but it made matters worse. Of course, everyone's experience is different.

MargaretX Fri 03-Feb-17 18:25:42

you are not alone. Both Mrs May and Mrs Merkel have those crafty hair pieces whch are woven into the remaining hair on the crown of the head. You can see how full the fringe falls. Fr Merkel as a youngish women in her 40s had very thin lank hair.
I listened to Michael Gove's wife on Womans hour and she said it cost about a thousand pounds and a good hairdresser to do it and look after it.

Riverwalk Fri 03-Feb-17 18:39:12

Margaret are you sure that Mrs M & M have 'crafty hair pieces'?

It's news to me - can you elaborate?

I'm 62 and don't know anyone who needs assistance with their 'remaining hair'. Surely most 60-somethings have a normal head of hair?

MargaretX Fri 03-Feb-17 18:47:40

You have only to look at old photos of them. My hairdrssser says it is a web like patch and your own hair is drawn up through this web and mixes with the false hair. Apparenty it stays put in windy weather and can be washed with the hair.

MargaretX Fri 03-Feb-17 18:51:10

Seeing Fr Merkel everyday on the Tv I noticed with the passing years as she approached 60 that her heir got thicker and fuller and she had a really nice fringe.

My hair is going the opposite way. I miss my fringe but still would not like a hair piece

whitewave Fri 03-Feb-17 18:54:47

Yes mines the same. It was never much of it to begin with. Doesn't do to be vane as you get older does it?

Mair Fri 03-Feb-17 22:10:32

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24159595

Merkel through the years.
Her hair does seem to be improving, which is odd!

rosesarered Fri 03-Feb-17 22:47:07

T May seems to have thick hair all over her head, for all I know it may be what you say M but she isn't that old and it looks completely natural.
Merkel has silkier hair, which usually thins, but again looks normal.

rosesarered Fri 03-Feb-17 22:51:13

I have no hair loss ( yet!) but have a friend who always wears a really lovely wig, and another friend who had an early hysterectomy and has thinning hair.She had blonde highlights put into her grey hair and had a softer layered cut and it made a big difference ( previously iron grey and a strict bob.)She looks years younger and you don't notice the thinnining as much.

skate Sat 04-Feb-17 09:42:01

I have very fine thin hair which is the bane of my life. What hair I have is like candyfloss. I paid £1000 to have the hair weave and whilst it looked good, after a year I had it removed as it got so uncomfortable and itchy. Now I wear wigs and they transform my appearance. They are so good these days that nobody can tell - especially if you get the lace front ones. They cost around £250 and last around 6 months. Quite expensive but totally worth it and probably no more than what I would have to spend at the hairdresser if I had proper hair. I am so jealous when I see ladies of my age (72) with decently thick hair - they don't know how lucky they are! But I have found a solution I am happy with and I never have bad hair days!

Teddy123 Sat 04-Feb-17 09:50:41

It's all very strange! The hair on my head remains very thick despite being regularly abused with colour, bleach highlights and GHDs. My fingernails are also very strong despite masses of housework & gardening.

Yet my pubic, underarm and general body hair have all but disappeared.
Hurrah to the end of waxing!

My BF is a hairdresser and constantly uses wigs which look amazing and totally natural. Hers are a German make .... I think the company is Gisella Meyer ..... But best to google! The secret is to ask your hairdresser to trim the wig to 'fit' .... A snip here and there makes all the difference.

KatyK Sat 04-Feb-17 10:38:56

I always dreaded losing my hair as my mother had lost hers. When it happened to me, it was devastating. I was surprised at the psychological effect it had on me and the fact that it almost destroyed my relationships. There is little help out there. You just have to find a solution yourself (which is very difficult). I didn't want to wear a wig but that is just my personal choice.

Craftycat Sat 04-Feb-17 10:46:58

Your doctor CAN do something. A good friend of mine started losing her hair & it got very bad. She could not wear a wig & was very distressed when she had bald bits showing. Her doctor at first said there was nothing to be done but when it was obvious that this was effecting her badly he found some lotion & I think pills too -but I could be wrong- & it has all grown back beautifully.

dianetheartist Sat 04-Feb-17 10:59:33

I swear by these Biotin tablets..https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natrol-Maximum-Strength-Tablets-Strengh/dp/B004H7GB9G/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1484006345&sr=1-5&keywords=biotin My hair was thinning loads due to me having to take high doses of steroids..Someone recommended them to me and I just can't believe how they have helped.. My hair is thick and has turned wavy as well.. after spending hours with curling tongs over the years, now just wash and leave it.. a friend of mine had alopecia and lost 3/4 of her hair.. Docs were of no use.. She started taking them and its all grown back in 9 months, and hers is wavy too! They are not expensive, just one a day..

KatyK Sat 04-Feb-17 11:25:04

Craftycat That's good news for your friend. I went to my doctor seveeral times (different doctors, both male and female). I had blood tests, lotions, pills, potions, sprays, creams, vitamins. Nothing worked. The last advice given to me by a lady doctor was 'get a wig'. In other words I was on my own.

LuckyDucky Sat 04-Feb-17 11:32:11

Beejo
After my sister was recovering from a bout of chemotherapy, she bought two wigs. Waiting in a queue in a M&S, a woman behind her, complimented her on the condition and style of her hair and, even asked which salon she used grin

Good luck with your quest flowers Do let us know if you find any useful information.

Buddly Sat 04-Feb-17 11:35:08

Talking of T.May, what colour is her hair ??? Saw her on the tv last night and it seemed greyish/salt and pepper with big chunks of brassy blonde on top. Maybe it was just bad lighting grin

grannyJillyT Sat 04-Feb-17 11:44:25

dianetheartist do they make hair grow on your face too though?

Diddy1 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:56:55

My hair has become a bit thinner, I have very short hair maybe it shows more.I am glad the hair om my legs have almost disappeared, great in the summer.

tigger Sat 04-Feb-17 12:13:31

As a doctor said to me HRT is great, when it works!