Gransnet forums

Menopause

Post--menopause intercourse pain

(48 Posts)
MamaCaz Fri 05-May-17 18:37:05

I'm 56, and over the last eight years or so have gone from a good sex life with my husband to the stage where I avoid sex like the plague!!! The problem is multi-faceted: loss of libido, dryness, but worst of all, pain. Today, I finally plucked up the courage to discuss this with my GP. Why didn't i do this sooner, i'm now wondering, as she was so lovely and was at pains to point out that this is so common! (actually, it was a reminder that my next smear test was due that finally made me act, as I feared that it would be equally painful) .
I left the surgery with an intensive course of ointment - Estriol- that should restore some vaginal moisture and flexibility, to be followed in six weeks by an ongoing treatment to maintain it.
Fingers crossed that things improve!
For the sake of others who might be suffering similar problems, I will try to keep you updated on the success, or otherwise, of the treatment.

Grannyben Fri 05-May-17 19:27:48

Well done you for finally saying something, we can all be so silly and the truth is they have heard it all before

vampirequeen Fri 05-May-17 19:36:27

It's great that you've talked about this not only to your doctor but also on here. So many people worry about things that end up being perfectly normal/treatable.

MamaCaz Fri 05-May-17 20:22:55

Rightly or wrongly, I decided that I wanted to share my experience as I'm sure that there of lots of others who, like me, put off going to the doctor's with this type of problem.
I'm also sick of reading in magazines about how wonderful sex can be after the menopause, and watching TV soaps where not a single female character appears to suffer anything more than the odd hot flush. Yes, there are many women who don't have big problems, but it's time that it was more widely recognised that huge numbers of women aren't so lucky.

Nelliemoser Fri 05-May-17 23:14:53

MamaCaz. There are a lot of existing posts on this subject over quite a while.
Look for the "Search Forums" box on the right of your screen under the "GN discussion of the day" and enter Vaginitis.
You will find a lot of threads around this, with a lot of us "older women" on here who have experience of it.

The trouble is no one ever seems to tell us women about possibly getting this particularly uncomfortable sign of getting old. There will be a new sufferer along soon who will be having moan about this.
Have a look through this thread it is useful. (Just keep using the medication.)

Norah Sat 06-May-17 07:16:01

For me it was the dryness and pain after menopause. I can't use the vaginal creme. We use what seems like gallons of lubricant and that solves my problems for now (I'm 72).

Iam64 Sat 06-May-17 07:48:21

It's another thing that isn't discussed when we're advised to stop/not start taking HRT

storynanny Sat 06-May-17 10:13:52

Yes it works for me! I started taking it 6 weeks ago after the "sandpaper sex" got too uncomfortable.
I can report it certainly works!

MamaCaz Tue 04-Jul-17 23:13:27

The Estriol cream worked - the awful pain has gone. Trouble is, at the end of the six-week course, I went with the GP's recommendation of Estring (vaginal ring), but after less than a week with it in place, my hot flushes came back with a vengeance. Hmm, I will have to ask the doctor if the pessaries she also mentioned might be better!

TriciaF Wed 05-Jul-17 10:51:52

I use Estriol and agree it's wonderful.
My main problem was dryness leading to frequent Urinary tract infections, which needed antibiotics. And I know which I'd rather use.
I've had pessaries and capsules - all seem to work the same.

wot Wed 05-Jul-17 10:56:04

I'm so glad you bought this up as I am sure I'm going to have problems if I progress to a full relationship. There is a good book on Kindle you could read.

valeriej43 Wed 05-Jul-17 17:15:32

Just read about the Estriol and wondered how long it takes to kick in so to speak,
Not sure about going to Drs but i see it can be bought, i think i might try it first
I still get some hot flushes in my early 70s, and some dryness,
Thanks in advance

Lynker Wed 05-Jul-17 17:55:28

I had post menopausal bleeding and because I had had a hysterectomy, I ended up being treated for a UTI, but also had to have an ultra sound scan and a cystoscopy, neither of which showed any abnormalities....it was only then, when I was referred to a gynaecologist that vaginitis was found and I started on the estriol cream, which I have continued to use with no further problems.

TriciaF Wed 05-Jul-17 18:05:32

I read somewhere that estriol is a derivative of oestrogen, (both hormones) but has less risk when used longterm.

valeriej43 Wed 05-Jul-17 18:22:27

I am confused,as Estriol sounds as if it would be a goos thing, but then i have read that progeserone is used for the same problems, so not sure which is best, as estriol is supposed to be good for helping the skin too, but another site says it accelerates ageing

valeriej43 Wed 05-Jul-17 18:24:16

Sorry for typos, will have to research a bit more, but from the comments here estriol,seems to help

valeriej43 Tue 11-Jul-17 20:50:31

Another question about Estriol, the one i have seen online you rub into the skin on abdomen ,arm or any skin surface, not internally

yggdrasil Wed 12-Jul-17 08:14:39

VAlerie, go see your doctor. As you have seen, it isn't an unusual problem, but the doctor will be able to prescribe the right treatment, which is better than just guessing. Plus you don't have to pay for it

MamaCaz Sun 16-Jul-17 08:32:59

My GP told me that the Estring gives a higher dose of hormones than the cream or pessaries. Based on that, i've decided to reduce the dose by removing the ring at night, and the hot flushes do seem to have abated as a result.

I have to say that I don't find it particularly easy to remove the ring. Mine seems to position itself around a 'bend', and although I can reach it, it takes some manipulation to free it. One day I might end up pulling out more than intended, and turn myself inside-out! grin

valeriej43 Sat 02-Sep-17 10:39:16

Hi everyone, went to GP and she gave me some oestrogen cream, but since have had a small blood smear, so very worried now,
Went back to Drs yesterday, and she examined my cervix, and sending me for a scan to rule anything else out [cancer] . she said all looks ok ,but still worried ,has anyone experienced this after taking estrioland i wonder if taking the estriol has changed the hormones enough to cause bleeding
Thanks in advance
Oh and also have Cystitis now

Volvariella Sun 10-Sep-17 09:49:38

Estriol is a very weak oestrogen and won't upset your internal hormone balance. Very little is absorbed into the body. If you have any bleeding it will likely have another cause or perhaps if the tissues of your vagina are fragile - the act of putting it up there with the applicator could cause some bruising and cause small tears perhaps? I hope all goes well with the scan.

valeriej43 Fri 10-Nov-17 23:14:47

Got HRTand Vagifem from Dr, but have terrible itching down below,i have been using Multi Gyn actigel, which eases it ,for a while it, but it doesn't last,
I think I will have to go back to Drs again
Can anyone suggest anything else which might help

Volvariella Mon 13-Nov-17 17:55:55

valerie if you join Menopause Matters forum there women on there who are experts in such things - like how to relieve all the itching down below etc and the best products to use.

Coolgran65 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:01:36

Previous poster mentioned 'sandpaper sex' .... what a wonderful description.

I use Replens every few days and KY Jelly 'as required'.

At the moment this is sufficient to banish the discomfort.

valeriej43 Tue 14-Nov-17 18:10:22

How do you find Replen?s, I have been recommended Sylk or Yes, which I believe can be got on prescription