Gransnet forums

Menopause

Perimenopause: can it change your body TYPE? Ie pear/hourglass etc

(38 Posts)
notanan2 Fri 11-Jan-19 11:10:54

Recently Ive noticed Im a pear.
I have never been a pear (and always have been a bit jealous of them as Ive always been round so weight gain always went on my tummy) but since putting on a bit of weight over xmad its all gone on my bum and thighs and not my tummy.

Im not complaining, I carry it better this way, but I have NEVER been this shape at any weight before.

Is this another weird perimenopause thing?

Allykat1946 Sun 13-Jan-19 08:17:23

Had a good laugh about all the comments. I also have a few extra pads of fat on the onside thighs and the boobs seem to be getting a bit bigger...such is life...

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 13-Jan-19 10:25:01

Is it entirely due to nature or has our metabolism slowed down with a combination of moving about less and eating more of what we enjoy to cheer ourselves up?
I think it's all of those with me.
I used to be an inverted pear shape but now I'm a blob. Waist thicker and tummy rounder.
I've still got beautiful little hands though!

Matriarch Sun 13-Jan-19 10:34:13

I only started having hot flushes and then all the horrible menopausal symptoms a year ago at 58 . This was followed by a sudden weight gain which all went to my waist / stomach . I joined slimming world and lost 9 pounds which was enough to return to my previous shape . ( hourglass ) . I was ill over Christmas and actually gained weight through not moving enough . A few weeks of extra moving and healthy eating will sort it . Also hoping to start HRT this week . I read somewhere that menopause can add 5 pounds .

notanan2 Sun 13-Jan-19 12:00:16

Is it entirely due to nature or has our metabolism slowed down with a combination of moving about less and eating more of what we enjoy to cheer ourselves up?

No that's not what I mean. Its not that Ive gained weight its that when I do it DOESNT go where it used to go, and instead has gone where it never used to go.

I am still within my normal range of fluxuation, its my shape that changed

Blinko Sun 13-Jan-19 12:56:29

Still an hourglass - just a larger one cupcake

M0nica Sun 13-Jan-19 16:26:48

There was an article in the papers today linking overweight in middle age with how much weight the individual put on during their pregnancies. If you put on a lot of extra weight in pregnancy this could reprogramme your body to automatically lay down more fat in middle age.

I couldn't have put on excess weight in pregnancy even if I had wanted to. I suffered from 24/7 morning sickness from week 6 to week 40. After DS was born I weighed a stone less than I did at the start of my pregnancy and I wasn't overweight then either.

Still it is good to know that severe morning sickness has its advantages.

notanan2 Sun 13-Jan-19 18:23:25

I had one skinny pregnancy and one fat one...so where does that leave me?

tiredoldwoman Sun 13-Jan-19 18:34:59

I used to have an hour glass figure , now I'm like Big Ben .

Nanna58 Sun 13-Jan-19 22:46:48

Toots , don’t envy us apples, yes I have no hips and my legs are very slim, and so are my arms, bur I’ve got this dreadful blocky’ middle. My dear old dad used to describe me as a cheese and pineapple cube with four cocktail sticks ! ??

Purplepoppies Mon 14-Jan-19 07:37:35

Thank you ladies, I will make an appointment to see a GP ?

Toots Tue 15-Jan-19 11:31:36

Nanna58..? that made me laugh!.. these lucky men..just straight up and down most of them!.. shame we can't take the best of both apple and pear shaped.. I'd probably end up like a watermelon...lol!

Buffybee Tue 15-Jan-19 11:48:46

My weight goes to my middle but I can shift it if I watch what I eat.
I still have slim hips and legs, which I'm pleased about as I can wear leggings, tunic tops and ankle boots and feel comfortable and fashionable.
In Summer I wear pedal pushers most of the time with lovely cotton tops.
But at the end of the day, we are, what we are! Put a lovely smile on your face and what does it matter?