Gransnet forums

Menopause

Dental Issues

(10 Posts)
Ging Tue 29-Jan-19 17:06:15

Hello, I am 18 months into my menopause, surgically induced. Over the last six month I have been suffering with 'burning mouth syndrome' which is unpleasant to say the least. Now my gums are receding and my teeth feel loose. I am so worried I may loose my teeth. Has anyone else suffered this symptom and can offer advice or hope! thanks for reading.

Marydoll Tue 29-Jan-19 17:08:24

Ging,

There is currently a thread on this.

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1253925-Burning-Mouth-Syndrome

Ging Tue 29-Jan-19 17:26:58

Thank you very much. I have read through that but no one seems to have the issue of loose teeth or receding gums? I was told it is connected to my dry mouth but nothing I try helps

Brunette10 Tue 29-Jan-19 17:41:34

Ging, I know you have mentioned loose teeth and receding gums, however I've had a problem with my mouth for over a year now and I am curious as to how your mouth/gums/tongue actually feel. I don't have Burning Mouth at all as told by a dental consultant but I do have symptoms associated with BMS and I just wondered how your mouth feels. Thanks.

Ging Tue 29-Jan-19 17:43:53

Hi, my mouth does burn but also my teeth are sensitive and feel 'spongy'. They are now sensitive to cold and heat. My gums bleed when I clean my teeth. I have been given a steroid mouthwash to help calm my gums down but this doesn't seem to help. I'm only 51 and so scared I'm going to lose my teeth. Didn't know if this was part of menopause and may pass in time?

janeainsworth Tue 29-Jan-19 18:05:16

ging your loose teeth aren’t necessarily connected to your Burning Mouth Syndrome.
It’s much more likely to be periodontal disease.
You need to discuss this with your dentist as it is treatable, provided treatment isn’t left too late.

BlueBelle Tue 29-Jan-19 18:42:34

Ging it sounds like gingiviitis Is that how you got your name?
I had slightly bleeding gums a few years ago and the dentist said that’s what it was and to use Cordysil which I did and it all cleared up and no problems since

MissMyDaddy18 Tue 26-Feb-19 00:05:18

I suffer from sore mouth too , but not sure if menopause or fibromyalgia as both started around same time. Sadly I have had to have nearly all my top teeth out and am due again next week for more to come out, possibly bottom ones as they are crumbling & gums receding so fast ???

M0nica Tue 26-Feb-19 05:37:41

I am not sure this is a menopausal problem. But it is a dental problem and needs to be treated by a dentist. If your dentist does not take it seriously, find another dentist.

I had a severe attack of gingivitis in my early 20s and survived with all my teeth intact and still in good order 50 years later.

DammitJanet Tue 26-Feb-19 06:12:03

I had the same issues and I spoke with a dental nurse last week who has also the same now.

I found a water flosser fantastic for helping to keep the inflammation down and my teeth better seated.