Gransnet forums

Menopause

Dry vagina after menopause

(19 Posts)
Christable Wed 31-Jul-19 13:03:11

Been using prescription oestrogen cream for 5years to treat soreness and shrinking vagina. Works very well. All symptoms cleared up well but every now and again it flares up and have to go back to using everyday for a month
(As if to start treatment all over again)
It settles down so then I go back to twice weekly dosage. Is this normal?
So hard to get a doctor appt so self medicate!

Doodle Wed 31-Jul-19 13:07:49

Vaginal atrophy is an ongoing condition. Try using a product like Replens or similar every day for continued moisture.

Christable Wed 31-Jul-19 13:56:48

Thank you Doddle. That’s how I need to look at it as an ongoing condition.
When I was first diagnosed it was truly horrible. Even hurt to walk. The oestrogen cream helps but every now and again it’s as if I need more. Will try replens too

Yorksherlass Wed 31-Jul-19 14:10:22

Sylk is very good , if you go onto their website you can get a free sample.

Coolgran65 Wed 31-Jul-19 16:46:56

I use Vagifem/Estradiol prescribed by my GP. It is a very tiny pessary inserted as you would a tampon with a throw-away applicator. Initially used in every day for two weeks and now twice a week. It has made a great difference.

Now and again especially after intimacy (where I use KY Jelly) I can feel a bit uncomfortable and would use over the counter Canestan. Putting this on for a couple of days makes all ok again.

Definitely an ongoing condition.

Christable Sat 03-Aug-19 14:48:27

Thank you coolgran65 for your advice. I’ve been using estriol cream prescribe by GP for 5 years with great success but symptoms seem to have come back so I’ll start all over again with using every day hopefully will work ok ?

Fiachna50 Sun 08-Sep-19 15:03:08

Vagisan cream is very good. It can be bought over the counter at Boots. Downside is the expense.

Septimia Sun 08-Sep-19 15:11:13

Sage tablets from well-known healthfood shop did the trick for me.

Fiachna50 Sun 08-Sep-19 15:21:54

Sage tablets, never thought that would help Atrophy, but I guess you would try anything. It is a hellish condition.

Sussexborn Sun 08-Sep-19 15:35:05

Nothing is going to turn our 60+ year old skin back to 20 year old skin but all of these suggestions are worth trying. We all respond differently so try one st a time so you get a clearer picture. Might be worth booking a GP appointment to see if they can help though recently mine has been as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I have been dealing with EMPD for nearly 20 years and currently back on yet another course of Aldara for the umpteenth recurrence.

I currently use Vagifem and Vagisan with occasional Canesten when desperation sets in. (sad)

Sussexborn Sun 08-Sep-19 15:37:41

Now I feel both sad and stupid. The sheer frustration of no edit button! I’ll risk another one that expresses my current feeling. angry

kittylester Sun 08-Sep-19 15:53:54

Vagifem works for me. I use twice a week with the occasional top up.

Getting older really is a pain at times.

Norah Fri 04-Oct-19 16:28:09

Intimacy is more difficult, but maybe only to me. I don't see other complaints to that.

DillytheGardener Fri 04-Oct-19 16:36:47

I concur with Yorkshirelass, Sylk is an incredible product, especially if you have sensitive skin etc. Buy the package with the internal applicator. Good luck, keep trying until you find a solution that works for you XX

Resurgam123 Fri 04-Oct-19 18:44:13

Yes I am with Kittylester.
As a long discusion we had a in about this a good few years ago.

Vagifem.

moggie Fri 04-Oct-19 21:24:00

Sylk really good would recommend. I have also used hormone cream in the past is ok but not keen on using regularly same contraindications as HRT

blondenana Wed 09-Oct-19 23:51:55

Multigyn Actigel is very good for soreness and itching,
Not sure if you can buy it at Boots, i bought some off Amazon

Coolgran65 Thu 10-Oct-19 00:33:15

I posted earlier about using estradiol pessaries with success backed up with ky jelly for intimacy.

Recently this was enough and I got really sore in the vulva area. Intimacy was incredibly painful. Dr gave me Dermovate and it was excellent. It’s a stronger steroid than Canestan and is prescription only. Two days to get back to normal

Barmeyoldbat Thu 10-Oct-19 12:58:08

I now use Sylk as anything else seem to set me off bleeding. Sylk has no nasties and its all natural. You can get it on prescription, which I do as I have a similar problem to you. Use a bit every day and it works. Great stuff.